Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:54 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Eduardo, great story. Your excitement is palpable. If anyone truly deserves a SG PTS gt3 that would be you! Looking forward to pics when it arrives. Enjoy it in good health!

Btw, how was it optioned out and do you know if all cars of same color in this batch were optioned the same?
Old 03-22-2015, 05:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default I organized a group of Rennlisters to help find these PTS gt3s!

Chapter 3 - After I got home on Tuesday March 11th, four years to the exact date of my accident with the 'Signal Green' 997S, I made the decision to try to help Rennlisters I knew had been frustrated by Porsche's inability to grant them PTS on their MY2015 gt3 allocations. So I started contacting them one by one. The Rennlisters I private message or emailed included Montoya, Mr. Sullivan, djcxxx, Mooty, NateOZ, AC Sato, Jon70, Kyrocks, CAlexio, Sportscentury, Nine1won, DesmoRR, SmokinGTS & Anonymous918. Several members like Jimmy-D, Loess & another 'anonymous' (who I will call Mr. G) provided me with interesting information. We studied carefully the forums...and quickly started to put the story together from all of the pieces we could find of the puzzle.

When I felt confident enough that I had a story that could withstand some scrutiny, I made the decision to email ALL the information I had collected to Detlev von Platen, CEO of Porsche Cars North America. I posted the reason for that in this recent post which might be useful to duplicate here:

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Eduardo....what kind of a response are you looking for?....explanation?....apology?....do they really care?....it would be great if they took this seriously but I have my doubts....how they can magically make 30 PTS cars after refusing early orders is beyond me...
Originally Posted by Z356
What I have basically asked Detlev von Platen to do is to help us identify all the dealers that have been allocated these PTS gt3's. We have a pretty good idea (as the story I'll report tomorrow will demonstrate) but we have a few 'blanks' or 'holes' in our matrix. I have also made him aware that some of these 'lucky' dealers (although thankfully not all!) are asking huge premiums over MSRP.

These late PTS gt3's are additional allocation to US dealers of a particularly rare commodity in the MY2015 gt3's - namely 'Paint-to-Sample'. PAG artificially created a scarcity for PTS by instituting a moratorium on that desirable option last Fall. So they created the 'monster'. In the parlance of dealers price gouging is called 'market adjustment'. In this particular case,
the market was manipulated by PAG's moratorium on PTS, which created this inbalance between supply & demand. Other standard color gt3's are selling at MSRP at US dealers. Some of these few late PCNA PTS allocations are selling at premiums over MSRP. So that is a fact. So my hope is that when Detlev von Platen learns that we know that some of these dealers are taking advantage of PCNA's largess (these are reward cars, after all), he might have no choice (because he now can NOT claim he didn't know) but to intervene & put the word out to these greedy dealers that these markups are counter to the spirit in which PCNA allocated these reward gt3's to them. Go back & read Mooty's recent post to see a good explanation of the kind of 'influence' that PCNA can exert on their dealers even if they are independently-owned businesses. If he believes these markups could hurt their reputation or create bad publicity, there is a chance he might tried to do something about it. Or so I hope.

As I decided when to break this story to the public, one of my principal concerns was that if all of these dealers with the rare PTS allocations (the ones we have not yet identified since they don't all necessarily show up at PCNA dealer database) start hearing of the premiums some California, Florida and WA dealers are asking for their PTS gt3's, or get a flood of calls from Rennlisters, it would stampede them also to raise their prices and ask for a mark-up. By alerting Detlev von Platen ahead of releasing the story to the general public, I am hoping that he will put pressure on these 'lucky' dealers and request that they NOT to gouge their customers. So it was a tactical move on my part in navigating through this complicated game of chess.

In addition, via this comprehensive email that I wrote to Detlev von Platen, I am giving PCNA the opportunity to correct the record in case any of the scenario which I presented to him is factually incorrect. Earlier last week I contacted Melissa Witek to ask her about these PTS gt3's. But she didn't provide any meaningful response, perhaps due to her middle-level position within the organization. By contacting Detlev directly (and he has staff to monitor all the incoming emails), PCNA can decide 'if', 'when' or 'what' to respond. Anything he or PCNA tells me on this subject I will post just as they wrote it or communicated to me, without editing or editorializing.
'We report, you decide!'...as Fox News likes to say!

I am also interested in finding out the truth behind the 'why' of these late PTS allocations. Who decided on these three colors - 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' and 'Modegrau/Fashion Grey'? Who was given the right to specced them in a particular (and some might think odd) way? And I would hope they might fill in the void in our information so that we get a complete
picture of their decision making re: these unusual late builds. I am a historian at heart and that is the kind of stuff I love to know about these special series of PTS gt3's that came at the end of MY2015 .1 991 series production.

As for the consequences to their decision to allocate these PTS gt3's, there will be undoubtedly some. You have already read in this thread the posts by some of Porsche's gt3 customers that feel totally betrayed by the appearance of these late PTS gt3's when they were denied their PTS request and were told that NOBODY else (except those that ordered MY2014 PTS and were pushed into MY2015 allocations by the Stop-Sale) would be able to get them. Then, without fanfare, a large number of MY2015's PTS gt3's appear at dealers and some of the latter are taking advantage of the scarcity by gouging PCNA's customers. I hope Detlev von Platen sees the injustice of this and addresses the issue that some of us have been raising in this forum as to how PTS and 'Porsche Exclusive' is run in this market. I would like to see a host of improvements. And I believe we here at Rennlist have particularly knowledgeable customers that PCNA should listen to regarding how to improve this particular program so that it meets the needs of their clients - us!

Finally, Detlev's response, or his silence, will tell us something about the quality of his leadership at PCNA. If he doesn't respond, which is his prerogative, Detlev has silently communicated something else to us extremely loud & clear. I am ready to listen to either message and report it all back to you!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
It can be found on Post #84 here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...on-grey-6.html

The intent of revealing all of this information to you here today is pretty simple. I hope it helps any of you that wants to pursue one of these special PTS gt3s, even at this late date, to try to get one! It is NOT too late. And I have alerted PCNA about the price gouging because that is something that perhaps they might be able to eliminate...with the right type of 'gentle persuasion'. The release of this information will for sure cause disappointment, perhaps even anger, among some of you that were denied PTS last Fall. I don't want to dwell right now on the criticism that PAG & PCNA deserves for the manner that it handled PTS in MY2015, specifically as it relates to the gt3 allocation process last Fall. There will be time later to assign blame for these mistakes. First focus of our efforts now should be in trying to find where all of these PTS gt3's are allocated in the US dealer network and put pressure on PCNA to curve the price gouging that unfortunately we have documented at some of the dealers that were given these special PTS gt3s allocations . If we can get one, two or three or more of you Rennlisters into one of these special PTS gt3s, then our entire effort has been worth it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 03-22-2015 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add Chapter # on top!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:01 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Eduardo,
That is fantastic news. Congratulations!
I know you like your old signal green, but now you will love your new (22s) signal green.
Yes, looking forward to it...after all these years!

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Congratulations on the GT3 Eduardo. You have always been so helpful and informative to our Porsche community, I'm delighted you were able to secure the Signal Green PTS. Looking forward to pictures at your delivery.
Thank you for the kind words, dave!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Awesome Eduado!
How is it optioned? How are all these 30 optioned?

I'd love one of these but than there's that RS.

Maybe I need to move the following to another thread;

Next up is following my RS build, how do I track this and how do I move my build later for a PTS? Any advice, my dealer is sticking to his sory that he will get this one in Nov and then production stops of the RS and the 991.2 production commences.

Really have my heart set on ED but useless on snow tires from Nov through March..
Thanks. Let me first finish this story before I get more involved in the RS PTS going ons!

Originally Posted by H82BL8
Eduardo himself is part of the 30 car PTS story. This makes the story that much better.
Anyone who has been on RL, knows how much Eduardo has helped and participated.

Eduardo's posts, Images of color samples etc, helped me tremendously. It is because of Eduardo, I am fortunate enough to have a PTS GT3 in Viper green.
Thanks Eduardo
Thanks again, we have to compare notes on our different 'Green' gt3's!

Originally Posted by hf1
Eduardo, great story. Your excitement is palpable. If anyone truly deserves a SG PTS gt3 that would be you! Looking forward to pics when it arrives. Enjoy it in good health!

Btw, how was it optioned out and do you know if all cars of same color in this batch were optioned the same?
That's coming up next!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 03-22-2015, 06:02 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Z356
Eduardo big congrats to you on a PTS new 3 just awesome ; thanks as always for all your colorful contribution and education, I admire your persistent dedication and sharing it so with all to learn from.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

+1 Mr Paint to sample oracle proving his reputation :-)

I'll revert back re RS PTS :-)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Eduardo:

You are the man! You deserve it big time

Congratulations from Germany!!!!

Peter
Old 03-22-2015, 06:44 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Pts

Very helpful and informative. I'm certainly interested in finding one of these cars!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:59 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

What a great story. You deserve to get that car. I wish I was so patient. When my PTS was cancelled for my GT3 I was pissed, but bought anyway. I am holding out for the GT3 RS PTS even though I have an allocation, will not pay this amount of money and settle again.

Looking forward to some tips on securing a PTS GT3 RS!!!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:11 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Well Eduardo....I have not been on Rennlist very long and am new to Porsche but I must say if there is anyone here that deserves one of these cars it is you.....a big congrats and a definite reward to hard work and research....

I anxiously await the response and I believe a lot of PCNA credibility, at least in my book, hinges on it.....we all work very hard to earn money to afford their vehicles and silence on this issue would be a big slap in the face.....

Thank you for your time and dedication in helping members obtain a PTS car....I hope the head of PCNA has as much dedication to his customers as you do.....
Old 03-22-2015, 07:12 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting story. Congrats on getting a pts gt3!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:13 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Congrats Eduardo.

If anyone deserves a PTS in their dream color it's you.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome. Congrats Eduardo. There is justice in this world!! Can't wait for pics.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:22 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on your new green gt3 Eduardo! And thanks for sharing all this information! Can't wait for the rest of the story.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default What are the specs of these PTS gt3s?

Chapter 4 - We have established information that each of the three PTS colors - 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' and 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' - has it's own particular spec. We initially thought they were all the same, but found out differently. However, they all have a set of standard equipment or options which betray a 'signature' by whomever decided to establish these odd specifications. Remember, neither the dealers nor 'Porsche Exclusive' in North America were consulted on these specs! And the paperwork that came with them to the dealers that were awarded these PTS gt3s believed that the specs were locked in place by order of PAG. In fact, there were only one or two savvy General Managers at some of these dealers that managed to modify the specs...but always in very minor ways. For example, two of the "Signal Green' gt3s started out with standard brakes, but were able to be changed to PCCB. We know of ONLY one of these gt3s - the one given to Anonymous918 via the VIP program - which was heavily modified from its original 'base' specs. He was able to add LWB and PCCBs, among other options. But he was the exception and not the rule!

All of the pts gt3s in these batch of reward allocations were originally specced with the following 'Core Base' Standards & Options:

Core Base Standard & Options
4-way Sport Plus Seats,
Extended Range Fuel Tank (082)
Seat Heating (342)
Front Axle Lift (474)
Sound Package Plus (490)
LED Headlights (602 or XEY)
Sport Chrono (643)
Sirius/XM/HD Radio (690)
Floor Mats (810)
Auto Dimming Mirrors/Rain Sensor (P13)
PCM w. Navigation (P23)
Ornamental Porsche Crest (ZAB)

Signal Green
The most spartan spec is the Signal Green gt3s.
Besides 'Core Base' above, it comes with:

Wheels Painted in Black (XDG)
Center Console Trim in Leather (XHB)
Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather (XWK)
Door-Sill Guards in SS- Illuminated (XXB)
Leather Interior Package with Standard Interior (EES)

MSRP for the 'Signal Green' Spec gt3 is $151,910.
Destination & guzzler tax 1,995.
Total $153,905.

This has the lowest MSRP of the three colors...and also the least content!

Arena Red Metallic

Black/Alcantara Leather Interior, Guards Red stitching (068)
Smoking Package (583)
Light Design Package (630)
Leather Interior Package wit Decorative Red Stitching (749)

MSRP for the 'Arena Red Metallic' Spec is $153,030.
Destination & guzzler tax 1,995.
Total $155,025

This is the second least expensive spec of the PTS gt3s. But at least it comes with full leather!

Fashion Grey/Modegrau

Leather/Alcantara Interior, Platinum Stitching (078)
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell (581)
Brushed Aluminum Interior Package - Anthracite (P1B)
Wheels Painted in Black (XDG)
LED in Black (XEY)
Seat Belts in Silver Grey (XSH)
Sports Plus Backseats Shells in Leather (XWK)
Doors Sills in SS, Illuminated (XXB)

MSRP for the 'Fashion Grey/Modegrau' gt3 is $155,765.
Destination and guzzler tax 1,995.
Total $157,760

This is the most expensive of the specs and the one with the most options.

I will have more to say about my speculation as to why these options were chosen for these cars. But I need to post the rest of the story out before going on tangents.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Last edited by Z356; 03-22-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Remove personal information on one of the documents! Thanks WSH!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:31 PM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

What irritates more than anything, is the current color selection for 911's, which includes 2 blues, 2 whites, 2 blacks, and with Lava Orange, several "reds", but no greens at all. Birch, Signal, Amazon, etc. PAG is a business and i suppose they have done the analysis ... still, we should have midnight blue, the audi "panther black" and other purples, and a few greens to choose from. As I look through the posts on RL, it seems like green is so obvious. The whole color selection and PTS sample process is just broken.

Quick Reply: The Story Behind the PTS 'Signal Green', 'Arena Red Metallic' & 'Fashion Grey' gt3s!