Sponsored by:

FS '14 GT3 white at MSRP 2700 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
What I said applies to GT3. I am not buying a GT3 only for track, will daily drive it in the tough new jersey roads. There is no way I can swing a RS here.
For that purpose there are is a lot of choice and for that as well as the cost it makes no sense to buy a GT3 IMHO.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
For that purpose there are is a lot of choice and for that as well as the cost it makes no sense to buy a GT3 IMHO.
What other choices do I have? The only other choice is really Z06, but that car is terrible with its set of issues and typical GM craftsmanship. If you mean any of the 997 GT3 models, I'd be lying to you if I said I am not considering them. Tempting to be honest, there is a 997.1 RS for 99k in cars.com that looks great. But I know I will kick myself for getting a manual in jersey traffic.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Providing I fit in it (I don't in a Corvette) Id go for a manual Vantage at $30K discount and look cool as ****, or an R8 or AMG GTS.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 AM
DerStig
Racer

Providing I fit in it (I don't in a Corvette) Id go for a manual Vantage at $30K discount and look cool as ****, or an R8 or AMG GTS.
Interesting... I will certainly look at those cars, I never even considered an Aston Martin.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darned ****. For some reason I like that simple interior!
Old 03-27-2015, 11:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

http://gt.astonmartin.com/ Under $100K
Order a Bond green one and delete all the stripy crap off of it. Presto best looking car on the road with throaty V8, manual.

I like to think that in 10 years of model life they finally figured out how to keep it from falling apart.

Great alternative for GT4 money I'd say.
Attached Images  

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 03-27-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:27 AM
sasportas
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

The lift on the 991 GT3 is greatly improved from prior versions.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,078 Likes on 5,255 Posts

The Vantage is great. When you are able to drive it. Generally speaking, Astons spend more time in the shop than driven on the streets. It's one of the reasons why they depreciate faster than McLarens (who also have their reliability issues).

The other thing with owning an Aston is that, unlike with Porsche, the dealer network just isn't as well built up. You may have one or two within 100 miles. That's not convenient if (1) you DD your Vantage and (2) it breaks down or throws a CEL warning every other week.

Like or dislike Porsche, one has to admit that it is (1) generally more reliable than the average sportscar (certainly more so than Macs, AMs, Jags, etc.) and (2) there are enough dealers where getting your car serviced, esp. if it is a DD, does not become anything more than a minor inconvenience.

AMG GT S ... blown engine. Next.

Now, the R8 ... that's something worthy of serious consideration.

GLWS TRAKCAR!
Old 03-27-2015, 01:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

No front lift
Old 03-27-2015, 02:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Vantage is great. When you are able to drive it. Generally speaking, Astons spend more time in the shop than driven on the streets. It's one of the reasons why they depreciate faster than McLarens (who also have their reliability issues).

The other thing with owning an Aston is that, unlike with Porsche, the dealer network just isn't as well built up. You may have one or two within 100 miles. That's not convenient if (1) you DD your Vantage and (2) it breaks down or throws a CEL warning every other week.

Like or dislike Porsche, one has to admit that it is (1) generally more reliable than the average sportscar (certainly more so than Macs, AMs, Jags, etc.) and (2) there are enough dealers where getting your car serviced, esp. if it is a DD, does not become anything more than a minor inconvenience.

AMG GT S ... blown engine. Next.

Now, the R8 ... that's something worthy of serious consideration.

GLWS TRAKCAR!
Yup GT3 is unbeatable and there not even a comparable track car available.

For street driving I don't know, that AMG TT does a pretty good job of aping a farty 6.2L V8..
Buy yeah, I would have liked it better with the 6.2L like the AMG GT3..

Astons still ****e? I figure they fixed the Vantage by now... I guess its telling that they have no warranty info on the website.
Here 3 dealers nearby but I get your point, no one would DD their Aston would they? I think with the new GT Aston as it pre depreciated by 30% ;-)

Mercedes is eying Aston, I wouldn't mind an Aston with AMG running gear..
Old 03-27-2015, 02:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For street driving I don't know, that AMG TT does a pretty good job of aping a farty 6.2L V8..

Astons still ****e? I figure they fixed the Vantage by now... I guess its telling that they have no warranty info on the website.
Here 3 dealers nearby but I get your point, no one would DD their Aston would they? I think with the new GT Aston as it pre depreciated by 30% ;-)

Yeah, lets hope AMG gets their hands on the guts inside the AM cars. That would be nice, because styling-wise AMs are like sex on wheels.

Aside from reliability, the tech in the Astons are like old-school. Navigation system is a lesson in patience and the fit-and-finish, while all slathered in uber nice leather, can be, um, touch and go sometimes. Cuts aren't even, gaps in lining extra. Chalk it up to "hand-finished" and character.

I seriously considered a DB9 before buying my previous 991 C4S but, looks and sound aside (which were both drool worthy), the gearbox and the interior fit/finish left mucho to be desired.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:32 PM
DerStig
Racer

My only problem with the Vantage (I have done some reading on it), the performance is really not so great. I'm currently driving a competition package M5 which does 0-60 @ 3.7s and 1/4 mile around 11.8@122-123. I cannot go from this kind of power to 0-60 in 4.5-4.9 seconds. I feel that there is going to be an extremely noticeable difference in power. I'd say the Vantage is close to my E90 M3 in terms of performance. Not saying it's not a fun car, but I don't think it's anywhere near as fast as a GT3.

I think the only other "raw" sports car that can compete with GT3 is the Corvette Z06. I'd happily consider one but the release of that car has been total disaster. I think every issue that can happen to a car has happened to that poor gal from cooling issues, to limp modes, to pulling timing, to tire issues, gear and transmission issues, issues with seats/leather, and other QC issues (misaligned panel and paint, etc). With that car you may be spending 100k, but you are reminded that you are buying a Chevy in every aspect of the experience.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think the only other "raw" sports car that can compete with GT3 is the Corvette Z06. I'd happily consider one but the release of that car has been total disaster. I think every issue that can happen to a car has happened to that poor gal from cooling issues, to limp modes, to pulling timing, to tire issues, gear and transmission issues, issues with seats/leather, and other QC issues (misaligned panel and paint, etc). With that car you may be spending 100k, but you are reminded that you are buying a Chevy in every aspect of the experience.
The other issue with the Z06, aside from heat soak, paint QC, summer tires cracking in the cold, etc., is that sitting in the cabin you almost feel claustrophobic.

It's odd, but given that the two cars are nearly identical in size, the cabin in the GT3 (and in fact all 911s) feels spacious, almost cavernous by comparison.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:42 PM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The other issue with the Z06, aside from heat soak, paint QC, summer tires cracking in the cold, etc., is that sitting in the cabin you almost feel claustrophobic.

It's odd, but given that the two cars are nearly identical in size, the cabin in the GT3 (and in fact all 911s) feels spacious, almost cavernous by comparison.
It's really not odd. The German engineering and design are both simply superior than anything else out there
Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

It's really not odd. The German engineering and design are both simply superior than anything else out there
The Italians do a pretty good job....

Quick Reply: FS '14 GT3 white at MSRP 2700 miles