Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Deflector/ Buffeting Problem

Old 03-27-2015, 03:08 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
I'd happily pay twice that for something that looks a bit nicer and can go on and off for track days.
Completely agree, but until someone makes one, this takes care of the buffet problem at high speeds, and you can pull it off after a track day for the price of a couple of lattes.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:14 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest
Would much prefer something that looks a little nicer than a wiper blade to put on my $150k car
Yes, one might even think Porsche would've solved this, since they know the windows will be down; just no care for the customer -- and BTW, my new Macan turbo delivered the same time as my GT3, has front window buffeting thats even worse.

Porsche is forgetting to finish these cars off

Thanks for the great solutions guys!
Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by watt
Yes, one might even think Porsche would've solved this, since they know the windows will be down; just no care for the customer -- and BTW, my new Macan turbo delivered the same time as my GT3, has front window buffeting thats even worse.

Porsche is forgetting to finish these cars off

Thanks for the great solutions guys!
My Cayenne buffets too. Perhaps the 918 doesn't ?
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I plan to complain to my SA. At least it will get documented on my car.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I plan to complain to my SA. At least it will get documented on my car.

Maybe if enough owners file a complaint, PAG will come up with an updated solution, right.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:51 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by bronson7
Maybe if enough owners file a complaint, PAG will come up with an updated solution, right.
I do think they need to hear from us, it can only help. I filed a bitch with the head of Porsche Australia-NZ on my cars and cc'd my dealer principal.

Im going to have fun with the next survey....
Old 03-28-2015, 03:16 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

It could be a simple fix too. Stupid. Don't Europeans ever drive with the windows down?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

I just received a JD Powers survey. Hmmm.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:05 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

The more I think about how stupid this problem is, I can't help but think that Porsche should know that many owners are dissatisfied by this and a campaign should be initiated. Perhaps if enough people expressed this to their dealer, maybe it will happen and a clean fix will be issued. Below is what I sent to my dealer today.

I hope all is well. Finally we are getting to the season where I can actually enjoy this car. Thus far I love it. I’ve had no problems with but there is a matter of concern. I am not sure if you’re aware but there is a notorious wind buffeting issue when the windows are down that is inherent of the 991 chassis. I experienced this in my Carrera S but I was able to crack the roof to alleviate it. With this car we know that is not possible, plus this is a known track car and when on the track windows must be down. The noise from the wind will hurt your ears or cause disorientation. I have had to fabricate a wind deflector made out of a windshield wiper. I think it’s egregious that the people at Porsche have not made a fix for this after 2013. Whats even worse is that I have a piece of a windshield wiper blade on my $147,000 car.

I was hoping you could look into this matter within your dealership or discuss it with the regional rep. Many other owners are perturbed and concerned. A company called AWE tuning makes a nice piece that installs next to the mirror on the door. The part is $160.00 and on a 6 week+ backorder. It also requires that you take off the door to install. I feel I should not have to purchase or pay to have it installed because it is a Porsche design error. If there is a open campaign or bulletin regarding this please let me know. I have pasted a link and you will see many others are talking about it.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

This is definitely a big flaw, and I'm surprised the Porsche lawyers aren't getting involved. I could definitely see this causing an accident because of disorientation. It doesn't always happen, but sometimes it shakes my head so violently I really do feel disoriented.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I did mine the other night...I'm happy with everything, but I did make this issue known on the survey.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:44 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by watt
I do think they need to hear from us, it can only help. I filed a bitch with the head of Porsche Australia-NZ on my cars and cc'd my dealer principal.

Im going to have fun with the next survey....
NZ watt ? What happened to Malibu ?

Best Regards...
Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 PM
_BrakeDust_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some painters tape from the side view mirror to the triangular trim worked great for me at the track last weekend. I was black flagged at Road Atlanta for having the passenger window up a couple of inches and tried the tape because the buffeting was not tolerable on any of the straights with both windows all the way down. The tape looked terrible but was very effective and easily removable.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _BrakeDust_
Some painters tape from the side view mirror to the triangular trim worked great for me at the track last weekend. I was black flagged at Road Atlanta for having the passenger window up a couple of inches and tried the tape because the buffeting was not tolerable on any of the straights with both windows all the way down. The tape looked terrible but was very effective and easily removable.
picture
Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Originally Posted by rockitman
NZ watt ? What happened to Malibu ?

Best Regards...
We split the year Christian, half Malibu, Half NZ. Many great car things availalble here, but not in the states, witness my P03 GT2 seats in my 2015 GT3; the plastic windows and clubsport in my RS, etc, etc

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wind Deflector/ Buffeting Problem