Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:26 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Hi there fellow RLers! I thought I would start a thread on all things modegrau (English translation: Fashion grey), as a way to bring together an assortment of photos, stories, and other information about this generally rare, but seemingly increasingly appreciated, solid, non-metallic grey. Please feel free to contribute anything you think would be of interest to fans and detractors (yes, you're welcome here too) of modegrau!

Let me begin by saying that this is a fairly difficult colour to appreciate fully in photos, especially on a computer or device. It has subtleties that are best viewed in person. I have not attempted to adjust the colour in others' photos and video which I have borrowed here.

Furthermore, there are a number of photos out there of this colour, and some are very misleading. Modegrau has been mistaken for a number of other not dissimilar shades of grey, and this has led to some misinformation and possible confusion. Also modegrau can be seen by some people as just another grey. I'm not disputing that opinion, especially for those of you who love vibrant skittle-coloured cars. Indeed, I agree that compared to many of the great colours offered throughout Porsche history (think Mexico blue, Arena red, RS orange, and of course the Signals (yellow, orange, and green)), perhaps modegrau does not evoke the same boyhood (or girlhood) nostalgia and excitement. Even so, I'm hoping to convince you it's worth a small moment of your time to consider this lovely colour. In my opinion, it is wonderfully rich, deep, and timeless, and I believe deserving of a little thread of its own!
Old 03-14-2015, 04:27 AM
<3mph
Drifting

History: 356 era

I'm no scholar of the annals of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, but here is a little information I've uncovered on the history of modegrau. (To all those who are truly in the know (Messrs. Paterek / Venegas / etc, you know who you are!), please update and/or amend this if you find any errors.)

Modegrau is one of the earliest colours offered by Porsche, appearing on the Pre-A 356 in the early 1950s. There are still some beautiful examples from that era in superb condition today, including a few with original modegrau paint. John Paterek's America Roadster (video and photo 1 (very saturated and looks quite yellow to me BTW)) and Jerry Seinfeld's 1953 1500 Super coupe (photo 2 below) are perhaps among the most notable.

This photo came from Curt Dansby's website with many more photos of Seinfeld's 356:
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/cur...?sort=3&page=1

The early examples of modegrau paint were referred to by Reutter colour code # 531. This is in reference to the Stuttgart manufacturer, Reutter Karosserie-Werke, which produced bodies for Porsche from 1950 onwards, including later at its Zuffenhausen factory (below). Well regarded for its high quality work, Reutter was acquired by Porsche in 1963.

Originally, modegrau R531 was produced using single-coat solvent-based lacquer, the industry standard from the 1920s to 1950s. As I understand it, the original formula for this colour as used by the Reutter factory is not currently known. There have been attempts to recreate this colour using solvent-based lacquer paints from this era, including by the paint manufacturer Glasurit. As RLer Z356 explains:

Remember too that the Pre-A paints were nitrocellulose lacquer and the 356A paints (post MY1956) were the more 'modern' acrylic enamel. Later Porsche went to into Urethane paints and switched from oil-based (solventborne) to water-based (waterborne) epoxy-based electrocoat systems. So it would not surprise me if paint manufacturers (like Glasurit) changed some of the formulas to get to the same approximate color used for their original lacquer paints, such as 'ModeGrau'.

Thus, the above Glasurit formula may be fairly accurate to the original modegrau R531. In fact, Glasurit did sample one of the early 356 cars, possibly "to the top bow of cabriolet 15040" according to James Davies in the following link; and this may be the source of the currently listed formula for R531.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...hp?f=1&t=36761

And here is another interesting link on modegrau 356s:

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...hp?f=1&t=22321

And here are photos of other 356s in modegrau:

Last edited by <3mph; 03-16-2015 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Corrected date for Reutter production. Removed photo of car not painted in modegrau.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:28 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Modern era

It seems that modegrau went largely unnoticed by buyers of more modern Porsche cars for quite a number of years. Perhaps as recently as the early 1990s, however, it appears that the modegrau colour was revived using modern two coat (base plus clear) water-based paint, as ordered through the Porsche Exclusive Außenfarbe nach Wahl (Exterior color to sample) program. This new formulation retained the name modegrau, but is referred to by a new colour code, 61H. Here is the formula as shown on the Glasurit website:

While I am not aware of the earliest 61H modegrau PTS automobile produced, there have been several that I have found in my travels through the web.

CGT

Porsche Centre Glasgow have produced some of the boldest colour choices in dealer-specced PTS cars, including several in modegrau:

And here is one from my native Canada:

And a lovely example purchased by RLer DS_Obsessed https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8326...-grey-c2s.html:

And a few other random photos (presumed to be modegrau, but I can't vouch for this):

Cayman (not entirely confident this is modegrau)

Last edited by <3mph; 03-16-2015 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Removed photo of stone grey CGT.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:39 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Not to be confused with

There are several other colours which fairly closely approximate modegrau, and which have probably been mistaken for it. Here are some examples, including the first one, a 997 RS which I'll admit fooled me for the longest time.

Dolphin grey (6410, 610) - another early Porsche colour, apparently slightly less saturated than modegrau

The following dolphin grey cars were repainted in this colour.

Sport Classic grey - one of the most lovely greys, but never again available on any other Porsche (or so they say); this car is one of my absolute all-time favourites, and I think I will always dream of owning one!!

Man of Chile grey - hugely popular aftermarket colour by Champion Motorsports; the following photo really caught my eye when I first saw it

Linen grey

Grigiocampovolo - a historic Fiat colour, slightly paler (primer-like), now available as PTS Y99

Stone grey (Z67)

Heron grey

Beige grey

Singer custom grey - very much like Stone grey

Pearl grey (W00)

Last edited by <3mph; 03-16-2015 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Added note on dolphin grey 356s being repainted. Added Heron grey to list. Added photos: Stone and Heron grey CGT and 356s.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:06 AM
KEEPUP
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pearl Grey 991 GT3??
Old 03-14-2015, 05:20 AM
<3mph
Drifting

My 991 GT3 in modegrau 61H

I was talking to my Porsche SA today, and we realized it was back in August 2013 that I first enquired about buying a 991 GT3. It wasn't long after that I had a deposit in, and my order locked before the end of that calendar year for a PTS order (Y99 grigiocampovolo, my best stab at emulating the feel of Sport Classic grey at the time). Alas, the stop sale changed my ED plans, as my March production never materialized, and my wife and I instead toured Europe in a fun, white 991 Turbo loaner, meeting RLer (and as it turns out not too distant colleague and fellow Canuck) VIC_50th on the factory tour there. (See https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...us-photos.html.)

The stop sale gave me a chance to rethink my build, including subsequently LWB and an Exclusive steering wheel option, but also colour. After much deliberation and thanks to the great advice and information from many RLers (I'll thank Z356 and Conekilr specifically) as well as my Porschephile brother, I decided to change my PTS selection to modegrau. My decision was largely driven by my desire to stick with a historic Porsche colour, but also by suggestions that modegrau was a more lustrous relative of grigiocampovolo. Well, months go by, and after a few more delays, I recently got word that my car was built (V260 on Jan 12, 2015; U013 Jan 22, 2015) and traveled abord the Hoegh Delhi to Halifax before arriving at the dealership today!

Before I go on, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to the friends I have made on RL. You feel like a big extended family to me, and I have learned so much from you all. Thank you so much for selflessly posting such great info on here, and for entertaining me while I've waited for my car! I am also deeply indebted to my SA (Brian), Melissa Witek and Matthew Henry, Ian Moon, and the men and women who developed and built this wonder car. And finally, I wish to thank my beautiful wife, who encouraged me to pursue my dream and put up with all my car talk. Thank you all once again!

Back to the story... here are my initial impressions.

The colour is just spectacular in the metal! The GT3 is by far the best looking 911 yet, IMO. It is just so poised, with the perfect speed-evoking shape. LWBs were a great choice, as they are really comfortable and not all that terrible to get in and out of for me, provided the seat is positioned as far back as possible (I'm 6'0" with bean-poles for legs) to keep my knees out of the steering wheel. I have yet to drive the car, but I'm planning to pick it up soon. The Sharkwerks bypass will hopefully get installed Monday and then I'll get the front wrapped soon afterwards. Clear side indicators were graciously swapped in by the dealer.

So, without further ado, here are some photos that my SA sent me, and a couple more I took myself. I made it there just before closing, and still have a few other loose ends to tie up before I can drive off. But it's paid for, and boy am I ever excited and happy about this car!!!

(the last three or four photos are crappy iPhone photos, and the colour is waaay off)
The following users liked this post:
XLR82XS (07-01-2021)
Old 03-14-2015, 05:28 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by KEEPUP
Pearl Grey 991 GT3??
Yep, apparently! Read more at https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...colors-19.html.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, what a post! Super color!
Old 03-14-2015, 05:35 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Wow, what a post! Super color!
Thanks! There may be a few more modegrau cars, including another GT3, coming soon (RLer anonymous918 may have the next one). Depending on PTS availability, hopefully we'll even see a GT3 RS and a GT4!
Old 03-14-2015, 06:18 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Very nice. I've always loved that colour!
Old 03-14-2015, 06:30 AM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is gorgeous!!! Congrats
Old 03-14-2015, 06:33 AM
azzurri
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 95 Posts

Really nice dissertation on that topic, including photo review of historical nature.

Your car looks really unique and is a solid choice!
Old 03-14-2015, 06:44 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Car looks great - congrats on picking it up!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:44 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Sweet!
Old 03-14-2015, 07:55 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

<3mph,
First thanks for gathering such History and Congrats on being part building that History going forward!!

To my eyes pleasure Moderau brings a deep rich subtle exclusive shade of
sophistication about it ; or

"It's Cool Man"
Thanks for the morning History lesson

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread