Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
I really wanted to like Chalk. Liked the color panel at the dealer better than I expected. Looked close to Fashion Grey, was thinking it would be good.

A few weeks later I saw a new Panamera in Chalk outside in the sun. Did not like it at all--looked like an old person color for some reason. The Panamera isn't a GT3 of course, and has silver bits instead of black trim. I'd still like to see it in the flesh on a GT3 but I was shocked at how much I disliked it on the Panamera.
The old person bland is exactly the concern. But thanks for the heads up on the colour panel. Im a late dec / jan build, so hopefully enough time prior for a crayon/chalk to turn up here is Aus somewhere prior.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:26 PM
RickIrons
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took some quick pictures of the Crayon sample in different light against a Panamera in Carrera White at the dealer today ( with Iphone7, whitebalace corrected).

Old 06-25-2017, 10:03 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great comparison. Thank you for the pics.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:17 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks!
Now I'm really looking forward to seeing Chalk and Fashion grey cars in the same photo (or in real life!).
Old 06-25-2017, 10:48 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

I saw a Chalk Pan yesterday at local dealer, love the color. Leaning towards chalk now over Carmine or PTS (doubt I'll get picked by the Porsche Gods).
Old 06-26-2017, 09:10 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Great effort and thanks for the pics with white.. The picture when dark.. concrete ? Imagine if someone said.. mm lets paint a GT3 in a lovely concrete colour ! But still, makes it interesting, given so many variations in the different light. I don't think it work on light wheels , silver trim shown on some of the Panamera pics in my opinion. The black highlights conversely could work with all the colour variations / light.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:36 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Chalk vs Fashion vs Dolphin

Still haven't been able to get my car next to one in Chalk, but there's a bunch of great comparison shots showing Fashion Grey, Dolphin Grey, and Chalk together posted here:

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Nice comparison pic, thanks for posting.

That Dolphin Grey is very interesting. The color looks very light in this indoor lighting condition and it must look almost white under a bright sunlight. This color Reminds me of Audi's Suzuka Gray.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:52 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Nim, that's the best comparison I've seen so far. Thanks so much for posting those photos! IMHO Chalk is so close to Fashion grey that it would be very hard to justify paying for PTS Fashion grey anymore, unless someone really cared about the historical connection. Clearly there are people who have gone the extra mile!! The owner of the one you posted above (same as this one below?) must be a true hardcore Fashion grey enthusiast!

Also, to follow up on the RS owned by Hatz, here is some info that suggests it is not Chalk, but is a custom colour mixed just for him. There are definitely perks to being in the inner circle!!

(first photo, his RS, colour never confirmed; second photo, his 911R, with colour info posted)

Finally, gotta love Hatz's license plate. (Walter Rohrl had the same idea!! see below)

Last edited by <3mph; 08-27-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:10 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
IMHO Chalk is so close to Fashion grey that it would be very hard to justify paying for PTS Fashion grey anymore, unless someone really cared about the historical connection.
Hi Daniel -- I can understand someone choosing Chalk to save the money. But the historical difference is substantial -- there is only one Fashion Grey. To each his own, but a true Porsche heritage color really makes the car special imo. Glad to see this thread is still thriving.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:53 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

Plus, I don't think Fashion Grey is THAT similar. Chalk is lighter and has beige undertones. Fashion Grey is a better looking color IMO. I saw Chalk on a Panny, and I was unimpressed.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:37 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Plus, I don't think Fashion Grey is THAT similar. Chalk is lighter and has beige undertones. Fashion Grey is a better looking color IMO. I saw Chalk on a Panny, and I was unimpressed.
Fashion Grey has a ton of beige in it. I saw it on a 991 GT3 and it was very mocha latte looking. Didn't like it.

Chalk is lighter yes, but less beige than Fashion Grey. On my monitor, this is accurate to what the Fashion looked like in real life:

Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Point taken, Reid. I personally value the connection to the past, but for someone looking for a cheaper, and guaranteed (no PTS shenanigans) option, Chalk seems like a fair substitute. Interestingly, montoya's list of known PTS requests for the GT3.2 doesn't seem to have anyone admitting to ordering Fashion grey, while there is a reasonable amount of interest in Chalk on the RL colour poll. I wonder if there will be a single Fashion grey GT3.2 then when it's so hard to turn down the opportunity to spec a great blue or green (which seems like most PTS cars will be).

As for the comparisons, thanks Werner and Mech for your opinions. I haven't seen more than a Chalk colour sample in person, so I will obviously have to wait to see the real thing on a car.

BTW, this brings up another question I've wondered about. Remember when Lava orange was introduced and there was speculation as to why Tangerine/blutorange was denied? Well, I suspect that this was not to "reserve" the colour for LO, but probably due to testing problems only. This is based on two observations. First, Signal orange failed testing when I tried to have it approved, and therefore perhaps certain (bright?) historic colours are impossible to reproduce with today's paint accurately enough to call them by the same historic name. Thus the substitute. And second, it is noteworthy that now that Chalk is available (which might be considered a modern substitute for Fashion grey, all the above excellent points notwithstanding), Fashion grey has not been pulled from PTS availability. This makes me think Porsche does not restrict historic colours simply to create a new one which is pretty close. And for anyone who really likes Fashion grey, that's good news! It means Fashion grey should remain available for the foreseeable future! Hopefully a few more cars roll off the line in Fashion grey.

Any thoughts or info as to the LO vs Tangerine issue? (Cleaning ladies, comments?)
Old 08-27-2017, 08:46 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 141 Posts

I can't vouch for this being fashion grey, but it appears to have more olive than beige in it. Lighting can play tricks on us all, but from the samples I've seen under the same light, I'm sticking with my opinion above.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:00 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

That GT looks like Stone Grey to my eyes.

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread