Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 01:27 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

In that picture, the color looks very close to what Chalk looked like today outside in an overcast day.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:42 AM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fashion Grey / Chalk

Was at the dealer today and spotted these two… Rennsport Reunion 991.1 GTS (Fashion Grey) and 991.2 Carrera in Chalk…

Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by nimprojects
Was at the dealer today and spotted these two… Rennsport Reunion 991.1 GTS (Fashion Grey) and 991.2 Carrera in Chalk…
Thanks for these. So hard to tell apart under lights. Was it obvious to you in person ?
Old 04-14-2018, 01:35 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
Thanks for these. So hard to tell apart under lights. Was it obvious to you in person ?
They’re a bit easier to tell apart in person, the camera on my iPhone evens them out. I can tell the difference quite easily but I spend a lot of time looking at colours (and cars). I think most people would assume they were the same colour.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:56 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks nim for your photos and comments. I agree, they're close, but different. If these cars are still there in 2 weeks, I'll try to stop and see them for myself when I'm in the city.

To my eye, a number of the recent new Porsche colours seem like muted versions of past offerings. Lava orange is less intense than Tangerine/blutorange. Lizard green has been described as a bit of a washed out Gelbgrun (haven't seen a Lizard RS, but have seen a Gelbgrun RS which was spectacular!). I feel like Chalk could be viewed as a less vibrant, slightly lighter version of Fashion grey. I wonder if even Ultraviolet could be a subdued Royal purple? I mean, a lot of the historic colours were very intense (in a good way). Maybe it has something to do with the size of 911s being larger nowadays, and someone thinking you therefore don't want the colour to be as loud? Perhaps the powers that be in the Porsche paint colour world feel that a modern interpretation needs to be less saturated to read as more sophisticated?? (I don't know. I, for one, really liked many of the old colours. In fact, I desperately (but unsuccessfully) tried to get Signal orange approved.) What do others think?
The following users liked this post:
wdr911 (07-13-2020)
Old 04-15-2018, 03:59 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by <3mph
Thanks nim for your photos and comments. I agree, they're close, but different. If these cars are still there in 2 weeks, I'll try to stop and see them for myself when I'm in the city.

To my eye, a number of the recent new Porsche colours seem like muted versions of past offerings. Lava orange is less intense than Tangerine/blutorange. Lizard green has been described as a bit of a washed out Gelbgrun (haven't seen a Lizard RS, but have seen a Gelbgrun RS which was spectacular!). I feel like Chalk could be viewed as a less vibrant, slightly lighter version of Fashion grey. I wonder if even Ultraviolet could be a subdued Royal purple? I mean, a lot of the historic colours were very intense (in a good way). Maybe it has something to do with the size of 911s being larger nowadays, and someone thinking you therefore don't want the colour to be as loud? Perhaps the powers that be in the Porsche paint colour world feel that a modern interpretation needs to be less saturated to read as more sophisticated?? (I don't know. I, for one, really liked many of the old colours. In fact, I desperately (but unsuccessfully) tried to get Signal orange approved.) What do others think?
I know what you mean. Couple of notes -

It does intrigue why they aren't using some of the old colours with original names. Maybe some sort of patent issue ? Maybe retaining for specific or future retro style ? Who knows ? It just seems more of a marketing / strategic move rather then some physical reason.

I think gulf orange may be a version of the lava as well although to signal orange is more yellow (?) Note Killsbugsfast member's car...

I saw a boxer sypder in chalk yesterday with black wheels and black accents. First time to have had a decent look, rather then a glance at the colour. I am now very happy I ended up with chalk on my incoming touring. Im trying to recall the fashion grey I saw a year back, but as it stood the boxer looked really nice. I think its a colour that needs to be broken up with the blacks as it look much better then a Panemera I saw that had aluminium accents. (in my eyes anyways). As good as fashion grey ? Hard to say, but I'm not complaining and saved the dollars on PTS as well..
Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Out of interest... here is my Chalk touring (no filters), iPhone picture in the shade and in the sun...

The following users liked this post:
17bhub (04-10-2020)
Old 07-07-2018, 02:03 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Default lots of greys…

Old 07-08-2018, 03:10 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Thanks for those photos nim. Lots of great comparisons. Having seen Fashion grey and Chalk cars side by side, the differences are more obvious to me now, but they are the closest of these greys by far. It would be nice to have them all lined up in person, including Grigio campovolo, Heron grey, Stone grey, and any others that are in the same range. But these photos are some of the best I've seen, short of a real-life viewing. Here is another photo of the Dolphin, Chalk, Fashion grey comparison, that's been posted before, but shows the colours nicely imo.

And a link to another great post about this topic:
Originally Posted by bhgt2
Got a chance to shoot my car with my friends PTS fashion grey RS at a Cars & Coffee event. The difference is very subtle, with Chalk appearing a little lighter.

Looks great Oldmxnut! How have you been enjoying your Touring recently?
Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 AM
AndreasPeriera
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We need to give Porsche credit for offering a PTS alternative color that is cheaper and without the PTS headache. Now if only they could add a similar green option many would be happy. But I guess some will always care about the exclusivity that comes with PTS.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by AndreasPeriera
We need to give Porsche credit for offering a PTS alternative color that is cheaper and without the PTS headache. Now if only they could add a similar green option many would be happy. But I guess some will always care about the exclusivity that comes with PTS.
It’s no coincidence that Glebgrun was very popular as PTS in the GT3 and Lizard on the 3RS is nearly identical. That’s the green. I suppose Porsche learned its lesson with Miami being too different from Mexico/Riveria. Also note that there is a new green, Mamba, for the Panamera this year. I suspect one or the other or another green makes it to the 992.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:23 PM
<3mph
Drifting

I agree with you, AndreasPeriera and evilfij. It's really great that Porsche have paid attention to their customers. As others have said, it seems to me that a bunch of the new special colours (Lava orange (from Tangerine/blutorange), Chalk (from Fashion grey/modegrau), Lizard green (from Gelbgrun)) are a direct response to the popularity of those historic PTS colours--as an attempt to update and modernize them for today, if you will. Some were viewed as hits, and were some viewed as misses (especially to the purists), but it seems like they've gotten better over time. I don't think we'll see Porsche simply reintroducing historic paint colours with the same name and exact same formulation for a variety of reasons. At the same time as PTS is unfortunately becoming more inaccessible, PAG has at least conceded some pretty great alternatives, and for much less cost and hassle.

Here is the link to a Christophorus article about Lizard green which is described as "a vibrant shade of green with a hint of yellow." (Gelbgrun of course translates directly as Yellow-green! Maybe that's a tongue in cheek reference that someone at Porsche gave them???) The article also mentions that marketing came up with the name Lizard green, and that they intend to invoke characteristics like "sportiness" with the colour. So this may give some insights about how Chalk, and other colours, were developed. It's worth a read imo.

I have uncovered some information about the structure of the team that develops colours at PAG.

I've learned that there is a department at PAG called Style Porsche, of which Michael Mauer has been the Head of Design from 2004 to 2015 (and perhaps still is), and previously Harm Lagaay, a Dutch designer. Mauer is quite the accomplished designer, and has become head of VW Design Group since Dec 2015, so I'm not sure if he also simultaneously holds the Porsche post now too. In 2012, when the Style department won the prestigious Red Dot award, the number of members of the Style department numbered around 80. The group is based in Weissach. I believe Mauer is in the suit in front of the Style group in this photo.

Here's Mauer talking about the 991.1 GT3 design:

Organizationally within Style, there are a number of divisions with Heads for:
- Interior Design (leads interior teams, full size interior, interface design, connectivity and infotainment design, graphic design, interior studio engineering, and Color & Trim design);
- Exterior Design (also includes Color & Trim)
- UX/UI Design (User Experience/User Interface)
- and perhaps others.

Each division contains a number of teams, and this includes a group called Color & Trim, which apparently works with both Interior and Exterior. Notably, it appears that the Color & Trim team is an in-house group that is employed by PAG, although it is conceivable that they may call on outside consultants to help.

Interestingly, one of the members of Color & Trim has recently appeared in a Porsche video (
), namely Barbara Sika, whose designation is listed as Color and Trim Designer, Style Porsche. From the link, where she discusses Saffron yellow met, it is clear that (at least part of) her job is working within the Exterior division since she deals with exterior paint. She may well have been responsible personally for the creation of Saffron yellow met, although that's a guess based on the fact that she's interviewed in the video.

She was also named in the Lizard article, along with Daniela Milosevic who is also a member of Color & Trim. (I have learned of a few other people in this team, but am withholding their names since they're not in the public domain.) And the article mentions they closely work with people like Sina Brunner, who is described as "a product manager for innovation and color" and who "coordinates design with sales" including premieres, advertising, and designating communication colours.

This posting for an intern for Color & Trim shows a bit about what their job involves and confirms they'd work with both Exterior and Interior.

Their responsibilities include projects and activities like:
  • Creation of designs and sketches in the field of exterior or interior design or support of the team Color & Trim in color and material topics
  • Creation of layout documents
  • Organization and implementation of subprojects
  • Further development of optimization potential
  • Creation of mood charts
  • Conducting trend research
The last one is interesting since it suggests that they are interested in current trends, and I wonder if trends in new colours might include seeing what people are buzzing about on sites like RL!

(Now that would be one amazing internship! I wish I had the qualifications to apply lol!!!)

Last edited by <3mph; 07-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Saqer91100
5th Gear

Here is my custom painted 997.1 turbo.
let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Saqer91100; 01-06-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Saqer91100
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Saqer91100
Here is my custom painted 997.1 turbo.
let me know what you guys think.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:56 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

Bumping this thread. Recently picked up my 2018 GT3 in Fashion Grey. It really is an amazing color with so many subtle nuances depending on the setting, light etc.

Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread