Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Old 07-12-2015, 02:55 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Anonymous: Why did they hold you 'Modegrau' gt3 outside the 'Porsche Exclusive' workshop for 3 months...
because Porsche Exclusive is backlogged. i am sure you seen it before, but for those who haven't: Porsche Exclusive is just a small workshop with a couple of lifts and half a dozen "we-are-not-impressed-by-your-fancy-car" employees.

that defeats the whole purpose of your air freight shipping and the whole VIP process.
well, the whole VIP process is a bit of a sham. it is like when you get your membership upgraded from Platinum level to Diamond level - same bull**** just different marketing name

my car sits outside Porsche Exclusive waiting for it's turn just like any other car. it is not sitting in a protective bubble and it does not have a huge VIP sticker on top of it or armed guards next to it.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:56 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Was it at least wrapped while it sat outside?
that is exactly why the problem happened. something about water/moisture getting trapped between plastic and clear coat before paint had a chance to fully cure.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:05 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

If you can also post this information & photos on this other thread, it would be appreciated.
sure...

Price $181,815.00
Old 07-12-2015, 03:09 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default The modegrau / Fashion grey thread

Originally Posted by anonymous918
that is exactly why the problem happened. something about water/moisture getting trapped between plastic and clear coat before paint had a chance to fully cure.
Yikes. We've seen this issue before. Is there a "cloudiness" or discoloration the the paint/clear coat? Sorry to hear that.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:47 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Yikes. We've seen this issue before. Is there a "cloudiness" or discoloration the the paint/clear coat? Sorry to hear that.
it looks more like wrinkles or as if worm crawled through the clear coat and left a very short trail in random places...

apparently putting the car into the heated booth body shops use helps a lot to remediate the situation, but doesn't fix it 100% and will require some further detail work to make it perfect.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:00 PM
STG
Race Director

it looks more like wrinkles or as if worm crawled through the clear coat and left a very short trail in random places...

apparently putting the car into the heated booth body shops use helps a lot to remediate the situation, but doesn't fix it 100% and will require some further detail work to make it perfect.
Same deal as Tpups Aqua Blue Frankencar GT3. Unfortunately, there may never be a "perfect". Interesting that both cars sat outside with the wrap on for weeks exposed to the sun. Probably not a good idea having it heated up so much with wrap on after fresh paint.

This imperfection is in the clear coat and can't simply be polished out.

I'm sure it will be acceptable though after some work. They seem to have a history with such imperfections.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:03 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

my Fashion Grey finally made it's way and arrived last week. sadly the car made it in a really bad shape -- it was sitting outside of Porsche Exclusive workshop for 3 months after it was completed and got abused by elements (rain, snow, sun, etc.) ... it will require some detail work and after that is done i'll post pictures!

the color is out of this world -- i knew i'd love it but seeing it in person takes it to a whole other level.
So sorry to hear of the horrible indignities your car has suffered.
But congratulations that it's here now!! I'm sure they'll fix it up great! And I'm so happy to hear you love it too! And, wow, what an impressive and extensive build! I'm really looking forward to seeing some photos!

o o* * *
o o ** ** ☀︎
o * * *

= ⁄  ̄ ̄ ̄∖=
(◎\____/◎)
|\◼︎▴===▴◼︎/|
Old 07-12-2015, 04:08 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Same deal as Tpups Aqua Blue Frankencar GT3. Unfortunately, there may never be a "perfect".

This imperfection is in the clear coat and can't simply be polished out.

I'm sure it will be acceptable though after some work. They seem to have a history with such imperfections.
well, taking the car into the heat booth at the body shop has helped with most of these imperfections (in fact, all are gone except for the only ones on the roof left)

i am going to take the car into the heat booth again a few times to see if the rest of it can be fixed or minimized... fingers crossed.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:11 PM
STG
Race Director

well, taking the car into the heat booth at the body shop has helped with most of these imperfections (in fact, all are gone except for the only ones on the roof left)

i am going to take the car into the heat booth again a few times to see if the rest of it can be fixed or minimized... fingers crossed.
Good luck!

Let it sit out in that CA sun too. Should help more or as much as a paint booth.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Good luck!

Let it sit out in that CA sun too. Should help more or as much as a paint booth.
not quite.

paint heat booth is much faster and more efficient. paint booth heats it up to 140-150 degrees. in fact, 30 minutes in a heated paint booth is equivalent to leaving your car outside for 30 consecutive days of hot weather.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:52 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Shame on the paint issues. Hopefully a good paint correction buff will fix.

Nicely built. Love all the extra leather you added and the pccb. Curious what custom tailoring you got done?
Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 AM
anonymous918
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by meaker
Nicely built. Love all the extra leather you added and the pccb. Curious what custom tailoring you got done?
wheels in Black Satin
Old 07-13-2015, 12:55 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

wheels in Black Satin
Muy caliente! They will go great with Fashion grey and the black LEDs. Your GT3 wheels will (almost certainly) be the only ones ever in that finish, at least from the factory. Mind letting us know how you went about ordering it, what testing/approval was required, and how much these go for? And please post photos!
Old 07-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Muy caliente?

Originally Posted by <3mph
Muy caliente!
Muy caliente? Are we talking about the heated paint booth again?

...paint heat booth is much faster and more efficient. paint booth heats it up to 140-150 degrees. in fact, 30 minutes in a heated paint booth is equivalent to leaving your car outside for 30 consecutive days of hot weather.

Originally Posted by <3mph
Mind letting us know how you went about ordering it, what testing/approval was required, and how much these go for? And please post photos!
First you start by ordering two 918 Spyders...then everything mysteriously falls into line quickly.

well, the whole VIP process is a bit of a sham. it is like when you get your membership upgraded from Platinum level to Diamond level - same bull**** just different marketing name
my car sits outside Porsche Exclusive waiting for it's turn just like any other car. it is not sitting in a protective bubble and it does not have a huge VIP sticker on top of it or armed guards next to it.
Except this fairy tale story did have a few less-than-perfect moments....

Next time, Anonymous, I would indeed request armed guards around the clock on your special Porsches while waiting for 'Special Wishes / Sonderwünsch'....

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 07-14-2015, 04:18 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

wheels in Black Satin
Nice.. As this should had been the norm. You have a great car. Can't wait to see pic after you get her all cleaned up. Congrats!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The modegrau / Fashion grey thread