Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Seeking Some Advice from my Rennlist Buddies

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:57 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, god bless you for your burning desire to make this happen. My vote is for obsessedgarage.com
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29 PM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Third one was the best option for me.. Shows the relation to the automotive industry.
Good luck and follow your dreams...
Old 03-14-2015, 08:18 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like obsessedgarage best. Good luck with your endeavor
Old 03-15-2015, 09:23 AM
Racer 54
Advanced

Matt,
Why not start a detailing show where you bring in a different exotic car every week for a wash, paint correction and detail, then film the cars driving on the local mountain pass/track and so on. Have smokin' hot girls perform the wash, you perform the detail, then have the local pro drive the cars.
Your show could be similar to Motorweek's formatted segments but with entertaining exotics, informative car detailing, and spirited driving. You are the Chris Harris of car detailing, take advantage of it.
You would have quite the audience. Call it "Money'$ Garage"
Money$garage.com

Good luck Matt and thanks for sharing your story! I have enjoyed watching several of your informative videos and found them very helpful.
Lots of supporters in this fine group of Rennlisters.
Let me know if you need a driver...
Old 03-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit201
How about www.thelift.com (if it is available) The lift for the obvious....cars,etc. The lift also for your mention of God. He was there. or how about upwardspiral.com
Hmmm... That's not a bad idea. I keep thinking about a site like Jalopnik that has a stupid name that has become huge.

Originally Posted by Shrevehorn
Great post. I'm an old guy and probably can't help on a cool website name, but I'll think about it.

Personally, I'd follow what you are posting. I'll post more later if I think it might help you.
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by NSD991
Money, you have already gone a long way in establishing a following, brand, reputation. My humble thoughts are you build on that and incorporate your already established name into your websites name.
Money's garage dot com
MattMoreman dot com
Maybe not the most catchy names but instant credibility
All the best!
I still can't believe this is even an option. I'm just throwing a bunch of crap out there, and people are responding to it. It's surreal. I start to imagine what I could do if I actually tried: Better video production, actually plan out what I'm going to say, etc.

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Thank you for sharing, that takes real courage. Your posts are very informative and as educational as any others. I do think you could turn your passion into more than a hobby, and earn supplemental income (if that is your goal) along the way.

My only advice re: branding and naming site is not to use your name unless your only vision is for this to be a one man show forever. If your idea "blows up" in a good way, your going to want an exit path, and the value of your business becomes less if it is perceived that you are the business.

I worked hard for the last 7-8 years removing myself from my business so that they value is as much or more without me than with me.

That's my two cents.

(PS I also have a sapphire blue 15 GT3 and Aqua Blue 11RS. I think it would be worth driving them to FL for you to detail. You would be quite appalled as my lack of auto cleanliness).
That makes a ton of sense. This is amazing advice. I think I only get one shot at naming it. You've made up my mind to keep my name out of the url.

Originally Posted by jlanka
Tough question and thanks for sharing all that Matt. You're a good dude.

I actually like obsessedgarage.com

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. I think obessedgarage.com is the ticket. If someone was smart, they would go buy it and then gouge me.

Originally Posted by montoya
thanks for sharing it does take some courage! Whatever you do here, consider this piece of advice- don't make your hobby your business, it takes the fun out of it. Conversely, you shouldn't start a business in something you aren't passionate about, so there's your Yin and Yang. I guess if you have other hobbies, then loosing one to a business would be a good path. Just some things to consider...
This is exactly what I'm afraid of doing. Messing up the fun of it. For example, I've had some suggest I start stocking and selling detailing products. I don't want to be boxing up crap and shipping it. I'm guessing once I start this thing, it will either fail or take on a life of it's own. I'm already creating the content. I'm not even sure I need to know where it's going. I think the main plan is to have fun with it like I have been. I've thought about including a friend or two and let them decide how much to market it.

Originally Posted by RBH
I'm not a regular poster on RL, but I do recognize your name, Money. (From Bimmerpost mostly) Thanks for sharing this story.

I don't think you need to spend much time on figuring out a name (obsessedgarage.com is actually pretty cool if you ask me), because you'll lose focus on the endproduct IMHO. I made that mistake when I tried to come up with a name for my company, almost lost track of the actual goal of the company.

Btw; if you need any help with developing the actual website, you can always shoot me a PM.
I think you're right about not losing focus on the content. I may hit you up on website stuff. I know I can do it myself, but I don't think I want to it. I don't want to detract from the fun of messing around in the garage.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I LOVE it!

Congratulations on your pursuit to follow your "PASSION."

I enjoyed reading your thoughts thinking what you wrote could have been me 15 years ago. There's this story of two shoe salesman who land on an island inhabited by natives. The first one writes home wanting to go back, stating they're all primitives with no need for shoes. The second writes, "Need help! More prospects than know what to do with!" It's all a matter of perspective.

20 years in the business, I've seen a lot come and go. I believe passion guarantees "success", which we all know isn't measured by how many GT3's one can purchase? Kind of like running that one lap, so dialed in knowing you hit it just right creates an emotional bank financial renumeration can't fulfill.

There are many different ways to enter the financial services, so feel free to PM me if I can offer any counsel.

Good luck.

https://vimeo.com/101048982
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Thanks for sharing the story - I would go with obsessedgarage.com and run with it before someone else grabs it.

It works well for really anything related to the automotive sector and who knows where things might end up.

Thatsjunk.com seems to strike an emotional cord with you - but I really have no idea what product its selling or related to. I would probably never click on it in a google search - I've actually used a couple of trash removal businesses 1800gotjunk.com and junkluggers.com in the past, so I would have thought you were a similar business.

Would never use an individual name unless its for a celebrity and it's a business you can't scale with additional employees.
Good stuff! thatsjunk is out.

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Garageguru.com seems to be unused but registered and registration expires in late May.
That's not a bad name idea.

Originally Posted by Rustycat
Matt,
You are an articulate writer and express yourself with words in a way that captures attention and holds it. No matter what name you choose it will be your content that makes it successful; good luck.
I like www.thatscrap.com
Ha...ha... That's my other saying. I gave up using profanity about 10 years ago, so now I have a tendency to use childish words instead. When I met my wife, aka Mother Teresa, she mentioned that people that use the f-word all of the time (me) sounded unintelligent. I remember thinking about it for a minute and decided then and there that she was right.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
Matt, god bless you for your burning desire to make this happen. My vote is for obsessedgarage.com
Originally Posted by Shahano
Third one was the best option for me.. Shows the relation to the automotive industry.
Good luck and follow your dreams...
Originally Posted by OCturbo
I like obsessedgarage best. Good luck with your endeavor
Originally Posted by Racer 54
Matt,
Why not start a detailing show where you bring in a different exotic car every week for a wash, paint correction and detail, then film the cars driving on the local mountain pass/track and so on. Have smokin' hot girls perform the wash, you perform the detail, then have the local pro drive the cars.
Your show could be similar to Motorweek's formatted segments but with entertaining exotics, informative car detailing, and spirited driving. You are the Chris Harris of car detailing, take advantage of it.
You would have quite the audience. Call it "Money'$ Garage"
Money$garage.com

Good luck Matt and thanks for sharing your story! I have enjoyed watching several of your informative videos and found them very helpful.
Lots of supporters in this fine group of Rennlisters.
Let me know if you need a driver...
That's a great idea. I'm not sure my wife would go for the hot girls.
Another thing people keep telling me to do are car reviews. I think that market is saturated.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Matt, well Clarkson is quitting Top Gear. How's your British accent? Thanks for sharing your story and candor.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 03-15-2015, 06:01 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Your wife is right; people who drop the F bomb every other word are dullards or drunk.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Mattsgarage.com
Old 03-15-2015, 10:09 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
thanks for sharing it does take some courage! Whatever you do here, consider this piece of advice- don't make your hobby your business, it takes the fun out of it. Conversely, you shouldn't start a business in something you aren't passionate about, so there's your Yin and Yang. I guess if you have other hobbies, then loosing one to a business would be a good path. Just some things to consider...
May be the best advise ever. I loved flying and started a path that led to a business. Other passions and much thought led to a career change. Not that the first one wasn't successful just not a passion any longer . Couldn't be happier but not that interested in flying any more.

My new career turned into a passion and have managed to keep it exciting and growing, however I have my down time and other passions that I keep personal.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:42 AM
RBH
Instructor

Originally Posted by Money2536
I think you're right about not losing focus on the content. I may hit you up on website stuff. I know I can do it myself, but I don't think I want to it. I don't want to detract from the fun of messing around in the garage.
Let me know.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:51 AM
991 GT3
Racer

-ObsessedGarage.com
-theLift.com "Parallels"
-UpLiftGarage.com "more parallels"
-GarageGuru.com
-UpLiftNation.com
-LiftNation.com
-OverDrive.com
-WheelSpin.com "Parallels" supplies, advice etc **My Fav

My brain goes into a burnout if I keep going.

Best of Luck!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about "MoneyOnCars.com"? Works on a few levels.

Quick Reply: OT: Seeking Some Advice from my Rennlist Buddies