Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help re: Headlights and delamination

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 03:34 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No worries, just don't keep the car for 10 years and don't park it in the sun all the time. Just move on. That's what I would do.
Old 03-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

Note to self - have Xpel on headlights. Never take off because will delaminate. I guess it will be the next owner's issue but I am interested in how it turns out

If it does not turn out good than maybe your insurance can cover
Old 03-11-2015, 10:34 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I would think if it is taken off correctly there shouldn't be an issue. My guess is they took it off without using patience and the correct technique.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:45 PM
rubbaman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

We have covered this in threads before which OP did see. But it was too late.
I mentioned this before as my installer would not do it
for this very reason. Many people chimed in that this was BS.
My research showed that the 991 GT3s had a new UV coating on them. Covering them could cause
this issue. Could cause it, not a 100%, every time issue. I decided NOT to cover.
My installer had to buy 2 sets of lights for customers before he said he won't cover them anymore.
He said that sometimes when applying the film, you have to lift a corner, wet it and re apply, etc.
This caused major problems for him.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:50 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
No worries, just don't keep the car for 10 years and don't park it in the sun all the time. Just move on. That's what I would do.
Be nice to hit the 1yr anniversary but doesn't look like it
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
We have covered this in threads before. I mentioned this before as my installer would not do it
for this very reason. Many people chimed in that this was BS.
My research showed that the 991 GT3s had a new UV coating on them. Covering them could cause
this issue. Could cause it, not a 100%, every time issue. I decided NOT to cover.
My installer had to buy 2 sets of lights for customers before he said he won't cover them anymore.
He said that sometimes when applying the film, you have to lift a corner, wet it and re apply, etc.
This caused major problems for him.
My installer also wouldn't do the lights without me agreeing to cover any damage and an acknowledgement that it wasn't recommended by Porsche. I'm happy I didn't get it done reading this thread.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:38 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooooo wish I had found this thread 2 days sooner, just got my car back today and had both my headlights damaged putting the clear bra on. He clearly needed to peel back and adjust the pieces and they did delaminate. Pretty disappointed. He clearly did not know about this issue. Now to figure out what to do.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by mmaturo
Sooooo wish I had found this thread 2 days sooner, just got my car back today and had both my headlights damaged putting the clear bra on. He clearly needed to peel back and adjust the pieces and they did delaminate. Pretty disappointed. He clearly did not know about this issue. Now to figure out what to do.
I would think your guy should fix it. He shouldn't have delaminated them in my opinion. They were too dry when he moved them around. If he needed to take them off he should have been steaming it more.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:48 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

On my old C4S the installer delaminated the headlights and replaced them. I was expecting it to be a big problem but he was very cool about it.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I got mine covered knowing it was a risk. Atlanta Protective Films (Derek) did a flawless job. Just got back from the Smokies run. I'm afraid my headlights would have taken a beating without the film, so I think it was a wise move. My windshield, on the other hand, has been peppered! I think someone called it patina. I'll take it! It was a great weekend. That said, if the headlights had been damaged by the install I would expect some sort of resolution. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2015, 01:02 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
I got mine covered knowing it was a risk. Atlanta Protective Films (Derek) did a flawless job. Just got back from the Smokies run. I'm afraid my headlights would have taken a beating without the film, so I think it was a wise move. My windshield, on the other hand, has been peppered! I think someone called it patina. I'll take it! It was a great weekend. That said, if the headlights had been damaged by the install I would expect some sort of resolution. Good luck!
Mine were done before I bought my car so I had no choice. But was glad I had it for the somkies. They would had took a beating. Now my windshield is toast. I'm thinking of getting clearplex for it on the next trip.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:13 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Mine were done before I bought my car so I had no choice. But was glad I had it for the somkies. They would had took a beating. Now my windshield is toast. I'm thinking of getting clearplex for it on the next trip.
Those chips are battle scars! Wear them with pride....
Old 05-22-2015, 03:03 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

I do not understand. There should be plenty of solution under film before they set and squeeze out
Old 05-24-2015, 03:49 PM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the delamination occurs, what does it look like?

Quick Reply: Need some help re: Headlights and delamination