Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Go from Tracking a GT-R to a GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 10:49 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCNRING
Great thread, I'm taking delivery of my GT3 next Monday and already have the option on taking it to COTA at the end of the month.
I hope I can brake it in before then.

I agree entirely with what some one mentioned on the thread. To me the 911 will be a learning experience from scratch.

I have driven a GTR a few times on the track but I felt it had no real feedback from the car, It sort of felt the car was doing the work and I was just pressing the gas pedal.
I have the most time in my Challenge Stradale, which compared to the GTR is rear wheel drive and has less gismos to help the car.

I'm really eager to see how different they drive but at the same time a bit concerned on the prospect of fearing more the car on the track than enjoying it.
At the BMW event next week? If so, come and find me and we can talk about the differences. I came from M3s before, and it took me a year to get completely comfortable with a 911 (and manual shifting, I was in SMG and DCTs before). 911s drive very differently than front/midship AWD or RWD car. To start with, they have insane rear grip leaving corners, and are inherently unstable going in (relatively). You typically need to latter apex than you are used to, to get the car straighter, to get on the gas sooner and harder. Once the weight is on the rear tires, you better be pointed mostly straight/decreasing steering input. It will carry a good amount of slip angle, but if you stay on the gas, all works out - and eventually you will come to love that feeling or 25 degrees of slip under full throttle. You also want to avoid needing to correct the exit (due to an early apex) by moving weight to the front (with a throttle lift). The only safe way to correct is with a bit of left foot braking. The 991 may have tamed this completely out with rear steer and electronics that modulate the throttle instead of dropping it, so it may not be a big deal - but even in a realtively modern 911 like the 997, a throttle lift at exit is a great way to swap ends. Mid corner, you can use throttle lift/on/off to rotate, it's pretty effective, especially in low speed corners.

I think the biggest change for you is going to be how you combine steering and throttle. In a GTR, you can get on gas waaay early, while still steering, entry to mid corner, and use the front wheels to drag you through and around the corner. You have traction for turning while on the gas. In a 911, you do not. The moment you move weight to the rear, you're effectively doing a wheelee, with no front grip.

If you've done TWS a lot, here is a reference for the difference in line/throttle inputs.

At COTA (btw that 4.0 in front sure is fast)

Last edited by ShakeNBake; 03-14-2015 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 AM
JRCNRING
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
At the BMW event next week? If so, come and find me and we can talk about the differences. I came from M3s before, and it took me a year to get completely comfortable with a 911 (and manual shifting, I was in SMG and DCTs before). 911s drive very differently than front/midship AWD or RWD car. To start with, they have insane rear grip leaving corners, and are inherently unstable going in (relatively). You typically need to latter apex than you are used to, to get the car straighter, to get on the gas sooner and harder. Once the weight is on the rear tires, you better be pointed mostly straight/decreasing steering input. It will carry a good amount of slip angle, but if you stay on the gas, all works out - and eventually you will come to love that feeling or 25 degrees of slip under full throttle. You also want to avoid needing to correct the exit (due to an early apex) by moving weight to the front (with a throttle lift). The only safe way to correct is with a bit of left foot braking. The 991 may have tamed this completely out with rear steer and electronics that modulate the throttle instead of dropping it, so it may not be a big deal - but even in a realtively modern 911 like the 997, a throttle lift at exit is a great way to swap ends. Mid corner, you can use throttle lift/on/off to rotate, it's pretty effective, especially in low speed corners.

I think the biggest change for you is going to be how you combine steering and throttle. In a GTR, you can get on gas waaay early, while still steering, entry to mid corner, and use the front wheels to drag you through and around the corner. You have traction for turning while on the gas. In a 911, you do not. The moment you move weight to the rear, you're effectively doing a wheelee, with no front grip.
Thanks for the feedback, the track event I signed up for is the one set up by Edge Adicts for March 29th. I had orliginally signed up with the Stradale thinking that with the maritime port strikes the car would not make it until april state side, but turns out the car got in and better yet they moved delivery for today. I will be picking it up in a couple of hours. I will post some photos with an official GT3 intro post.

Let me know if you attend the march 29th event it will be cool to meet other GT3 owners, as a matter of fact 3 of us from El Paso Tx are driving Gt3's at that event. I'm also taking the Stradale, my wife is going on that with the rookie group.

Quick Reply: Anyone Go from Tracking a GT-R to a GT3?