Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

#firstworldproblem: buy a new GT4 or an 930 slantnose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 03:30 PM
aboodchy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #firstworldproblem: buy a new GT4 or an 930 slantnose?

I've been looking at slantnoses for the past two months and I must say, I am enamoured by the striking geometry of the design. It screams 80's in a good way. Prices should be around the same as a GT4. My heart tells my slantnose but my brain tells me GT4.

I have an RS on order so maybe the GT4 will seem a bit redundant.

Are 930's fairly reliable and easy to run?
Old 03-10-2015, 03:33 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think at this point it might be easier to get the 930...
Old 03-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

930 - I love old Porsches - just so nostalgic
Old 03-10-2015, 04:31 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

You should drive one. Armstrong steering. Bad AC. They are not particularly fast and lots of turbo lag. 280hp or so if I remember. Plus it's a 30 year old car. Rebuilds of any kind are expensive. It's a cars and coffee car.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:35 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
You should drive one. Armstrong steering. Bad AC. They are not particularly fast and lots of turbo lag. 280hp or so if I remember. Plus it's a 30 year old car. Rebuilds of any kind are expensive. It's a cars and coffee car.
What an odd thread to start on the GT3 forum, but I agree with CC above ^^^.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 930 is a very different animal from a GT four. Yes looks are different but mechanically and performance wise totally different. As the former owner of a 930 for many years I can tell you they are an awesome car but, they are an extremely technical car to drive. No four-wheel-drive in this turbo. As related above there is turbo lag, but once that turbo kicks in it's an unguided missile. So I would caution to have a good long test driving a 930 to decide whether that is the car for you. Also as related above the air conditioning and creature comfort comfort is on the marginal side. It was an unmitigated sports car with a big turbo engine. The turbo I had performed a lot biggr than "280 hp." I think those numbers are under estimated. I love the 911 from inception. I've had many iterations of that model. My present GT3 2015 to me is the ultimate 911. I would say that a manual transmission would be fun in the present GT3 but otherwise the car is totally awesome and in today's expectations for performance cars an extremely good ride. The 930 is a great journey down memory lane. I would drive one any day. But if you do decide on the 930 be prepared for a plethora of compromises relative to today's automotive capabilities and expectations.

Last edited by GregJGT3; 03-10-2015 at 08:12 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:48 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I drove a lot of 930 trade-ins in the 1980s during my days at a Ferrari dealer. The Euro-spec cars were great fun for about 20 minutes, then the lag got annoying. US-spec cars were less fun; more lag, and less power when the boost finally showed up to the party. They were a plethora of compromises even back then.

Where are you finding a decent slant nose for the price of a GT4 these days?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aboodchy
I've been looking at slantnoses for the past two months and I must say, I am enamoured by the striking geometry of the design. It screams 80's in a good way. Prices should be around the same as a GT4. My heart tells my slantnose but my brain tells me GT4.

I have an RS on order so maybe the GT4 will seem a bit redundant.

Are 930's fairly reliable and easy to run?
Originally Posted by sportscentury
Have to agree with sports as to why this question would appear here, but he asked for it so here goes;

For you abo, I'd suggest buying them both. That way you can keep two actual enthusiasts from owning the car of their dreams.

But enough about you. Let's move on to my question now. I can't decide, should I buy a Toyota Prius or a Dodge Hellcat Challenger ? I really think that both cars are fantastic. I just can't choose which one to buy.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Afm
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

930!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:03 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Just don't watch that old movie No Man's Land with Charlie Sheen & DB Sweeny in it tonight or your will erase all of the good advice from the boys in the last 4 posts.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Dostler
Advanced

Reminded me of this video

If you want to look at it buy the 930. If you want drive it, buy the Cayman.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 AM
aboodchy
Instructor

Originally Posted by carcommander
I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

Originally Posted by sportscentury
My apologies for posting this thread here. Can a moderator please have it moved to the appropriate forum?

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
The 930 is a very different animal from a GT four. Yes looks are different but mechanically and performance wise totally different. As the former owner of a 930 for many years I can tell you they are an awesome car but, they are an extremely technical car to drive. No four-wheel-drive in this turbo. As related above there is turbo lag, but once that turbo kicks in it's an unguided missile. So I would caution to have a good long test driving a 930 to decide whether that is the car for you. Also as related above the air conditioning and creature comfort comfort is on the marginal side. It was an unmitigated sports car with a big turbo engine. The turbo I had performed a lot biggr than "280 hp." I think those numbers are under estimated. I love the 911 from inception. I've had many iterations of that model. My present GT3 2015 to me is the ultimate 911. I would say that a manual transmission would be fun in the present GT3 but otherwise the car is totally awesome and in today's expectations for performance cars an extremely good ride. The 930 is a great journey down memory lane. I would drive one any day. But if you do decide on the 930 be prepared for a plethora of compromises relative to today's automotive capabilities and expectations.
Cool, thank you for your suggestion.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I drove a lot of 930 trade-ins in the 1980s during my days at a Ferrari dealer. The Euro-spec cars were great fun for about 20 minutes, then the lag got annoying. US-spec cars were less fun; more lag, and less power when the boost finally showed up to the party. They were a plethora of compromises even back then.

Where are you finding a decent slant nose for the price of a GT4 these days?
I found an '85 930 turbo that was converted into a slantnose for around 80K. Has almost 28K miles.

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Have to agree with sports as to why this question would appear here, but he asked for it so here goes;

For you abo, I'd suggest buying them both. That way you can keep two actual enthusiasts from owning the car of their dreams.

But enough about you. Let's move on to my question now. I can't decide, should I buy a Toyota Prius or a Dodge Hellcat Challenger ? I really think that both cars are fantastic. I just can't choose which one to buy.
Ok, then.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:30 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

When the turbo first came out, Danny, On the gas, Ongais said he would only drive his in a straight line. Unguided missile indeed.

Quick Reply: #firstworldproblem: buy a new GT4 or an 930 slantnose?