Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harris Monkey GT4 write up

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Here is a very good review by Andrew Frankel who is never scared to be critical.

He loves the GT4

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/porsche/cayman/gt4/
Old 03-10-2015, 03:35 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Well the notion of 'bespoke' is certainly in the eye of a beholder. The 991 GT3 engine is based on a 9A1, not raced (yet) like the Mezger, and so is the GT4's. Just different degrees of PAG Motorsport/GT team customization under AndiPrun, but both are certainly customized for their respective applications, just the GT3 moreso, being a $40-50K more expensive car, and it's need to be the flag-bearer 911 against Ferraris and that ilk. Correspondingly, the GT4's 9A1 is more 'ordinary'...

Cheers
Very, very well said.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:43 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ronan
Here is a very good review by Andrew Frankel who is never scared to be critical.

He loves the GT4

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/porsche/cayman/gt4/
Very well written article, but I'm puzzled by this:

"Because its limits are a little lower, its responses a little less sharp ..."

If everything that has been disclosed about the GT4 is true, I wonder how this can be accurate: With a similar contact patch, and essentially the same suspension including bushings/ball bearings, it seems to me that the difference in performance between the GT3 and the GT4 lies entirely in the engine power, PDK trans, and rear steering system- none of which should have an effect on the sharpness...
Old 03-10-2015, 03:44 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Is this actually coming? If so, how would you buy one - from Porsche dealer or otherwise?
I can't find the source, but I have heard that Porsche has confirmed this. I would imagine it would be purchased through Porsche Motorsport, just like the current cup cars.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:55 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
Very well written article, but I'm puzzled by this:

"Because its limits are a little lower, its responses a little less sharp ..."

If everything that has been disclosed about the GT4 is true, I wonder how this can be accurate: With a similar contact patch, and essentially the same suspension including bushings/ball bearings, it seems to me that the difference in performance between the GT3 and the GT4 lies entirely in the engine power, PDK trans, and rear steering system- none of which should have an effect on the sharpness...
GT4 has simpler rear suspension. Also, electric RWS allowed to remove the need for passive RWS, which is much less sharp. Maybe that's what he's referring to? Or maybe it's placebo effect...
Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
Very, very well said.
I think he is comparing it to the Gt3 which one would expect this conclusion but it does not demerit this car in any way.

I think it is an injustice to keep on comparing this car to the GT3. I know this in unavoidable but compare it to the other cars in its class
Old 03-11-2015, 01:35 PM
964Q
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Knowing his history, I trust his integrity. He may bend a bit (e.g. not confronting AP on the GT4 gearing issue in the garage) to preserve access but he is very bright and knows that he is distinctive among the reviewers in that he pretty much calls them as he sees them.
EVO did ask about the gearing. See AP's response below (starts 9mins in).

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
GT4 has simpler rear suspension. Also, electric RWS allowed to remove the need for passive RWS, which is much less sharp. Maybe that's what he's referring to? Or maybe it's placebo effect...
I mean- I certainly hope it has a simpler rear suspension... the engineers don't have to jump through hoops just to keep that rear bias planted

Quick Reply: Harris Monkey GT4 write up