Sponsored by:

Harris Monkey GT4 write up

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 12:05 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Well the notion of 'bespoke' is certainly in the eye of a beholder. The 991 GT3 engine is based on a 9A1, not raced (yet) like the Mezger, and so is the GT4's. Just different degrees of PAG Motorsport/GT team customization under AndiPrun, but both are certainly customized for their respective applications, just the GT3 moreso, being a $40-50K more expensive car, and it's need to be the flag-bearer 911 against Ferraris and that ilk. Correspondingly, the GT4's 9A1 is more 'ordinary'...

But by your logic neither have the PAG Motorsports pedigree, whatever that means. To me, the proof is in the driving, no less no more.

Cheers
Actually I completely agree with you. A major issue for the GT3 engine is its lack of Motorsport application and racing pedigree. The original 2.0L flat six was a robust engine from the start and was able to serve as the basis for a variety of racing applications, so its not the 9A1 origins of the GT3 or GT4 engine that matter, but rather how the 9A1 performs as a Motosport engine used in actual racing efforts, something we have yet to see.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 93 Posts

Pretty fair assessment. It's going to be brilliant, and the new pictures of it in the real world actually make it look ever better. In this day and age of PDK everything, with bloated, fat cars.....this is about a "enthusiast" oriented as it gets, for a price which is quite refreshing, coming from Porsche.

Once the "race" version comes out, you'll then have some additional factory go fast parts to slap on for your track day special.

I don't need some motorsport-only engine to like a car, or respect it. Sure it helps, but for this segment, it works perfectly. If it was some bespoke engine, it would defeat the purpose of the car as an entry level position for it's GT and racing customers.

If anything, I want it even more.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez
Pretty fair assessment. It's going to be brilliant, and the new pictures of it in the real world actually make it look ever better. In this day and age of PDK everything, with bloated, fat cars.....this is about a "enthusiast" oriented as it gets, for a price which is quite refreshing, coming from Porsche.

Once the "race" version comes out, you'll then have some additional factory go fast parts to slap on for your track day special.

I don't need some motorsport-only engine to like a car, or respect it. Sure it helps, but for this segment, it works perfectly. If it was some bespoke engine, it would defeat the purpose of the car as an entry level position for it's GT and racing customers.

If anything, I want it even more.

Agree. The only thing - wish it had a dry sump
Old 03-09-2015, 01:17 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

It was always my fear that there wouldn't be enough power and chassis to properly play with slip angles, and it sounds like this is largely the case. He got close by softening the front and stiffening the rear, but that's not the same thing. And "options to play with lines and angles" is exactly what I love about the 911. It doesn't talk me out of one, but it tempers my enthusiasm- I wish they'd addressed that. Shows why a manual GT4 is no replacement for a manual GT3.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
To some extent the GT4 enthusiasm was a continuation of the PDK vs MT debate with the GT4 carrying the banner of the "pure" sports car with its MT only configuration and Motorsports imprimatur. The GT4 is a worthy offering for a more track focused mid engine Porsche but w/o a bespoke Motorsport engine as in the GT3 and GT3 RS it cannot claim to be a true Motorsports car anymore than a Turbo look Carrera was a Turbo.
Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Well the notion of 'bespoke' is certainly in the eye of a beholder. The 991 GT3 engine is based on a 9A1, not raced (yet) like the Mezger, and so is the GT4's. Just different degrees of PAG Motorsport/GT team customization under AndiPrun, but both are certainly customized for their respective applications, just the GT3 moreso, being a $40-50K more expensive car, and it's need to be the flag-bearer 911 against Ferraris and that ilk. Correspondingly, the GT4's 9A1 is more 'ordinary'...

But by your logic neither have the PAG Motorsports pedigree, whatever that means. To me, the proof is in the driving, no less no more.

Cheers
The 991 GT3's engine is neither bespoke NOR motorsports; instead, it is a hot-rodded 9A1 that is exclusive to the GT3 and RS. It is not, however, bespoke, and is certainly NOT motorsports, since no car with that engine has ever been in any race, anywhere. Unless maybe a street race counts...

Originally Posted by bigkraig
Wish he compared it to a 997 GT3
I can only assume they asked journalists not to; recall that he owned a 997.1 and then the 4.0 RS, so he's well-versed in all variants.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
It was always my fear that there wouldn't be enough power and chassis to properly play with slip angles, and it sounds like this is largely the case. He got close by softening the front and stiffening the rear, but that's not the same thing. And "options to play with lines and angles" is exactly what I love about the 911. It doesn't talk me out of one, but it tempers my enthusiasm- I wish they'd addressed that. Shows why a manual GT4 is no replacement for a manual GT3.
This. I don't have the words to explain but you do, thanks :-)
I'll try to add: Even if it does have enough power, its still different and less playful to me than a 911. As is every mid engine I think.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
"The Sport Chrono package comes with the potential for a lap-timing device and a superb integrated performance monitoring and video App which customers will love."

Ya right, good one Harris.
The key word in that sentence is potential. Which, in his defense, is spot-on accurate.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:53 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

so good

Old 03-09-2015, 01:56 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Guest89
The 991 GT3's engine is neither bespoke NOR motorsports; instead, it is a hot-rodded 9A1 that is exclusive to the GT3 and RS. It is not, however, bespoke, and is certainly NOT motorsports, since no car with that engine has ever been in any race, anywhere. Unless maybe a street race counts...
Agreed.

What engines are bespoke? In the sense that a tailored suit is bespoke and made to fit your measurements, and only yours?

Heck, even guys like Pagani are taking off the shelf engines from AMG, tuning them, and plopping them in USD 1M+ cars, with the only bespoke quality being the color and leather interior combos (hat tip to Liberace).
Old 03-09-2015, 02:21 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
Love it
Old 03-09-2015, 02:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hoopumpers
Love it
Yeah, but then they go and add the automatic throttle blip.

Cuz, if "Porsche has the decency to assemble cars with manual transmissions, then drivers should have the decency to learn to heel ‘n toe."

Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger22
"The Sport Chrono package comes with the potential for a lap-timing device and a superb integrated performance monitoring and video App which customers will love."

Ya right, good one Harris.
Had on in my last RS.

Put 8k in track miles on that car and NEVER, I mean NEVER used that function. Although there wasnt an app for that in 210 - 12.

I have become one of those guys that can do "without the wart"
Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
There is no way the GT4 could have replaced a GT3. Most of those who have a GT3 won't replace it with a GT4. Some may, particularly the PDK GT3 (know of one already in the GT4 forums) but most won't.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

Can't wait to see the Cayman GT4 Cup!

Quick Reply: Harris Monkey GT4 write up