Sponsored by:

Car up shifting in manual mode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:00 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee
This is indeed a frustrating issue. I handed my car over to the dealer two weeks ago who was not able to replicate the problem over 40 miles, and returned to me. Said he did some calibration in PDK and if it continues, would do some calibration on the transmission.

On the ride home it started happening again, so I had my gf record it and sent video to dealer with my two-cents about changing steering wheel with references to this thread. I was told they have to reach out to Porsche for approval since they could not replicate the problem - it's been a week since they reached out to Porsche and no word. I'm surprised Porsche doesn't have this issue documented since it's affecting so many cars
That's certainly concerning. The dealer probably won't be able to replicate the issue on mine.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should switch all the steering wheels to RS once.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:25 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 930 Likes on 533 Posts

happens to me rarely, it kind catches you by surprise , and you wonder did i up shift or the car did it on its own . mine was october production and have 800 miles on it
Old 06-08-2015, 07:40 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 93 Posts

Can't believe Porsche is not doing a better job documenting the fix nationally.

Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte fixed this for me.

Read earlier post. It was an issue with improperly shielded micro switches that were being activated by external electromagnetic sources.

Silly as this sounds take a bunch of tin foil and wrap the wheel where the paddle shifts are. Then drive around in manual mode using stalk to shift. If this fixes problem then you have replicated what my tech did in Charlotte.

Also if you take a video of the event that should negate the issue of them not replicating.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM
wwlee
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For me when it starts happening during a drive (could be 10 mins in, could be 2 hours), it continues to pop up more frequently for that drive session. And yes, it catches you by surprise. It's not so bad when it shifts all the way to 7th gear (more of an annoyance), but once it shifted up on its own to 2nd gear when I was on automatic mode, and locked in that gear - had a lot more torque than I expected changing gears on local roads, as I was anticipating an upshift.

Will keep everyone posted on timing of resolution for my car.

Originally Posted by pitt911
happens to me rarely, it kind catches you by surprise , and you wonder did i up shift or the car did it on its own . mine was october production and have 800 miles on it
Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wwlee
For me when it starts happening during a drive (could be 10 mins in, could be 2 hours), it continues to pop up more frequently for that drive session. And yes, it catches you by surprise. It's not so bad when it shifts all the way to 7th gear (more of an annoyance), but once it shifted up on its own to 2nd gear when I was on automatic mode, and locked in that gear - had a lot more torque than I expected changing gears on local roads, as I was anticipating an upshift.

Will keep everyone posted on timing of resolution for my car.

Makes me think the unshielded microswitch for the upshift is being affected by static electricity of turning the steering wheel. The symptoms make sense, as when you manually upshift, while in Auto mode, you temporarily enter manual control, and could just keep upshifting as the wheel is turned left and right, back and forth, upshift-upshift-upshift. The tin foil may have stopped the static electricity. I would bet it is happening mid-turns for most, IF, static electricity affects the microprocessor.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

this could be dangerous on the track if you loose some rear grip and then it automatically shifts up..
Porsche should really document this fix. My car only had 300 miles and no issues yet. Late March 2015 production. Will keep you all updated.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
Makes me think the unshielded microswitch for the upshift is being affected by static electricity of turning the steering wheel. The symptoms make sense, as when you manually upshift, while in Auto mode, you temporarily enter manual control, and could just keep upshifting as the wheel is turned left and right, back and forth, upshift-upshift-upshift. The tin foil may have stopped the static electricity. I would bet it is happening mid-turns for most, IF, static electricity affects the microprocessor.
Ummmm what??
Old 06-09-2015, 02:34 PM
wwlee
Instructor

I'm wondering if they have to develop a new steering wheel for this fix. Sounds like it might be more than just a batch of cars built late 2014.

Originally Posted by Shahano
this could be dangerous on the track if you loose some rear grip and then it automatically shifts up..
Porsche should really document this fix. My car only had 300 miles and no issues yet. Late March 2015 production. Will keep you all updated.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:07 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know if the GT3 RS steering is compatible on our cars?? and if its available for purchase anywhere? Definitely a mod I would love to do.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:24 AM
wwlee
Instructor

Checking in if anyone who has experienced this issue lately (involuntary upshifts in manual mode) had this resolved by their dealer?

It's been 3 weeks since I alerted this to my dealer (along with video on my car, and RSRRacer's helpful insight into the issue) and still no word. Last communication I had from them was almost 2 weeks ago, that they're waiting for Porsche on how to resolve since they weren't able to replicate.

Thanks guys!

6/25 EDIT: Followed up with my dealer earlier this week, and they responded that they will be ordering a new steering wheel for me. Conservative estimate is that it could be as long as 6-8 weeks to get one, and they hope this will resolve the problem. Said delay was because they could not replicate, and doing this based on research. Good luck to anyone else that has this issue.

8/4 EDIT: Since the prior update, performed a temporary fix by placing aluminum foil around the base of the paddle shifter, and secured with tape. Wasn't pleasant to look at, but seemed to address the issue. Went in to dealership today and had new steering wheel installed. Worked perfectly on the way back home, including spots where the problem consistently occurred (junction boxes?). Tech at the dealership still wasn't sure why this happened...I tried explaining the shielding issue around the microchip. Glad it's resolved and appreciate the info everyone posted on this issue. Hopefully everyone else that's waiting for a new steering wheel will get it soon.

Last edited by wwlee; 08-04-2015 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-19-2017, 01:45 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

I just experienced same issue, prod month: 01/2015. Car would upshift from 5th to 7th in manual mode (stick to the left side). It happened a few times so I took a video. Called my local dealership and mentioned this thread. They said they would call Hendrick Porsche but first they need to try to replicate the issue. I will keep you all posted.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:47 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Left the car at local dealer and technician could replicate the issue. Dealer got authorized by Porsche to replace the steering wheel which was shipped from Germany. Part was replaced under warranty this past weekend and no issues so far.

Last edited by ElectricChair; 10-12-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:06 PM
BLAM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Swapped mine out for the new GT wheel. Better paddles and faster shifting.

Quick Reply: Car up shifting in manual mode?