Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car up shifting in manual mode?

Old 03-07-2015, 10:18 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyGuyAZ
Ya I'm not sure why they aren't changing the sensor first. I'll let you guys know what happens.
Double wow. ToyGuy could you PM me the contact info for your friend or his dealer. Thanks much.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 PM
ToyGuyAZ
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RSRRacer
Double wow. ToyGuy could you PM me the contact info for your friend or his dealer. Thanks much.
PM sent
Old 03-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe the sensor is buried deep inside the transmission although I would doubt that. Maybe the transmission needs to be unsealed? If so like many other things today, replace rather than repair!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:52 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

The car when you plug in shows a tranny sensor fault. It doesn't throw a code on the dash. His car does it on the street and track. My car was built within 7 cars of his and mine doesn't do it at all. They have been trying to figure it out and at this point I think they are going to replace the transmission. I think it could be a bad sensor more so than the transmission.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Wow.
which sounds rather ominous once these things are out of warranty.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
The car when you plug in shows a tranny sensor fault. It doesn't throw a code on the dash. His car does it on the street and track. My car was built within 7 cars of his and mine doesn't do it at all. They have been trying to figure it out and at this point I think they are going to replace the transmission. I think it could be a bad sensor more so than the transmission.

which sounds rather ominous once these things are out of warranty.
It could be an external sensor or it could be one of the hydraulic actuators that are inside the gearbox which isn't responding. It will be interesting to find out what they discover.

I think that while under warranty Porsche is taking the path of least resistance by replacing gearboxes. PDK has been around for a while now but my understanding was that, especially at first, they wanted complete faulty gearboxes returned for evaluation purposes before local mechanics had mucked around with them.

If that's really the only way they plan to deal with problems down the road, however, it could indeed be ominous. I hope that's not the case.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:10 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,725 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
It could be an external sensor or it could be one of the hydraulic actuators that are inside the gearbox which isn't responding. It will be interesting to find out what they discover.

I think that while under warranty Porsche is taking the path of least resistance by replacing gearboxes. PDK has been around for a while now but my understanding was that, especially at first, they wanted complete faulty gearboxes returned for evaluation purposes before local mechanics had mucked around with them.

If that's really the only way they plan to deal with problems down the road, however, it could indeed be ominous. I hope that's not the case.
Just out of curiosity, are there any independent techs that will or can work on a PDK box?

Thinking probably a better question for the 997 board ...
Old 03-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just out of curiosity, are there any independent techs that will or can work on a PDK box?

Thinking probably a better question for the 997 board ...
My assumption when I said local mechanics was local dealer mechanics but you raise a good question for out of warranty work down the road. They might be hard to find in general, but some of the gearbox guys who sponsor and post on this forum seem pretty familiar with PDK issues.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Witnessed similar problem twice on track. Manual mode (without question). Same spot on track both times. Car up shifted mid corner from 3rd to 4th for no apparent reason. Revs were in the middle of range. Very odd and disappointing. Would like to hear Porsche's resolution
Old 03-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

My '11' GTS had a very small leak at 1000 miles. No questions they just replaced the transmission.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had exactly this problem. For me it turned out to be a problem with the steering wheel. Apparently the micro switches that the paddles operate on where faulty and where closing somewhat randomly without me pulling the paddle...

New steering wheel installed => problem solved
Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Anders
Had exactly this problem. For me it turned out to be a problem with the steering wheel. Apparently the micro switches that the paddles operate on where faulty and where closing somewhat randomly without me pulling the paddle...

New steering wheel installed => problem solved
Interesting and I will have them check this out. The paddles are useless for me anyhow as I always use the stick. The paddle placement is so close to the stalks that I don't see how they could be used for an average size man wearing driving gloves.

In fact now that I think about it the problem began not long after I d I'd use the paddles for a short while.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 AM
KenFlo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had this exact problem today on my 2015 GT3. Argh! Gotta take it in.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:52 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

delete
Old 03-10-2015, 05:50 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KenFlo
Had this exact problem today on my 2015 GT3. Argh! Gotta take it in.
KenFlo - What is last 6 of your VIN and where are you having your car serviced.

I'm afraid we might be dealing with one of these "we can't replicate the problem at the dealership" issues (even though I provided video.)

So trying to get everyone who has experienced this issue to post here.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:26 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Default Issue Resolved

This just in from dealership, which mirrors the solution from another member here:

Good News!! We were able to get it to act up and act up enough to determine what to replace. After talking with Porsche we are ordering a new steering wheel for the car.

So, it looks to be a microswitch issue and NOT a transmission sensor issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Car up shifting in manual mode?