Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great question. Got me thinking on that one. I would love to hear the answer.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:16 PM
CTT-QTR
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Whatever their plans are, I just hope they continue to develop/make NA engines for the GT3.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CTT-QTR
Whatever their plans are, I just hope they continue to develop/make NA engines for the GT3.

So do I.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:41 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I think this is spot on. I don't think there will be a 991.2 GT3 and GT3 RS, I think we'll see a GT2 and GT2 RS. Fits better with the switch to turbos for MY2016.
Absolute bullseye post, Nate!! That's what's coming next. No, I didn't hear that from any reliable source but seems to be the most logical next chapter. I think the GT3 and RS are maxed out, as evidenced by the narrow separation of both - no more N/A's. Hope not, but a heavy lean over to turbos in the entire line as commented by Porsche execs.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:46 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I agree that the current GT3 & RS engines are likely stop-gap solutions for Porsche. But it's not a bad thing - given that they are pretty good, they are not lame ducks but rather unique milestones. I hope Porsche keeps these engines for another iteration (.2) but eventually it will have to move on to turbos or electric or a combination of those.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:58 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by KenU
Absolute bullseye post, Nate!! That's what's coming next. No, I didn't hear that from any reliable source but seems to be the most logical next chapter. I think the GT3 and RS are maxed out, as evidenced by the narrow separation of both - no more N/A's. Hope not, but a heavy lean over to turbos in the entire line as commented by Porsche execs.
My northeast dealer states that this is the plan, but you can never fully trust them.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Dave GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hybrid tech will get that extra power no problem and no boost needed.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Motors plus a high revving smaller displacement NA engine is the way to go IMO...

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-assisted.html
Old 03-03-2015, 09:11 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
And yet, the Huracan and R8 V10 engine is Euro 6 compliant, no?

Audi especially is a brand that is very, very conscious of public image and political correctness going forward; how can they sneak in a large capacity V10 and Porsche can't do anything...
Audi has already announced the e-Tron, full electric R8 is going into production. They've also announced plans for an e-torque fill diesel edition. Not sure how long the NA V10 will last - it's not a major engine change form the last generation limited R&D cost could justify a short production life cycle.

Originally Posted by KenU
I too would rather it not be the case, but I think we get a GT2 and GT2 RS next, then followed by a hybrid car after that. Potentially as a new chassis, but it's hard to see that far out.

I've put my deposits down for the 2 and 2 RS, sure they'll be great cars and hopefully high enough redline! I think the sound will be fixed.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:53 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

IMHO: 4.0L flat eight, normally aspirated, 9250 RPM, motor moved another couple of inches forward. All regular 911s will be turbo.

A 4 liter flat eight would allow much smaller pistons and thus theoretically faster revving. How about 525 HP sound?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
IMHO: 4.0L flat eight, normally aspirated, 9250 RPM, motor moved another couple of inches forward. All regular 911s will be turbo.

A 4 liter flat eight would allow much smaller pistons and thus theoretically faster revving. How about 525 HP sound?
While that would be nice, not sure it makes financial sense for PAG to develop a new engine (the flat-8) that applies only to GT cars (either the GT3 or RS). The GT cars are low volume, low production cars, that do not bring in large profits (or create large profit margins) for the company.

The current iteration 991 GT3 and RS are different as they use a (cough, cough) "variant" of the 9A1 engine from the 991 Carrera lineup.

So with the 9A1 the economies of scale make things viable, but switch to a platform where the GT cars use separate inner plumbing from the rest of line, then we've got issues that pencil pushers will no doubt scream about.

Just my 0.02.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:15 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sunset gun
Two Cents

I believe the 9A1 was conceived and produced as a stop-gap engine to mark time between the Mezger and whatever is next. Mezger insurmountables (even for Porsche) are: high part count (supposedly twice that of 9A1), high manufacturing cost, and, going forward, inability to meet ever more Draconian environmental regulations. Political correctness often carries a very high price.
I see proof of the 9A1's "place holder" status in the fact that Porsche has invested ZERO in putting it into meaningful competition.

Don't know whats next, but probably smaller, probably force fed, probably semi-electric (at least at some point).

Hope it still sounds like a real Porsche.
You sir, make a compelling argument.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While that would be nice, not sure it makes financial sense for PAG to develop a new engine (the flat-8) that applies only to GT cars (either the GT3 or RS). The GT cars are low volume, low production cars, that do not bring in large profits (or create large profit margins) for the company.

The current iteration 991 GT3 and RS are different as they use a (cough, cough) "variant" of the 9A1 engine from the 991 Carrera lineup.

So with the 9A1 the economies of scale make things viable, but switch to a platform where the GT cars use separate inner plumbing from the rest of line, then we've got issues that pencil pushers will no doubt scream about.

Just my 0.02.
Maybe a run of about 2000 to 2500 cars per year may be enough to make it economically feasible. It seems that there were 2500 to 3000 Gt3s produced MY 2015. Don't know if that is a good indication of the marketplace. Also could use for a larger displacement engine for the FeFi. Really we do not have not enough data to make meaningful judgement.. You could be right. The Mezger however was produced in rather small numbers and that did not keep Porsche front manufacturing it as expensive as it was. Maybe VW will put the kibosh to that.

Obviously such engine could be the basis for homologation for future competition motors.

One thing is clear in my head is that the 991.2 GT3 will have a flat configuration as that is the brand.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:48 PM
m3irish
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andreas said there would be NA motors in the GT cars for at least two more years given the small production numbers. That was in the Evo GT4 release video IIRC.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 PM
TheMethLab
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

As long as Porsche makes a 911 it will be a flat 6.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3