Sponsored by:

Euro Delivery Advice

Old 03-02-2015, 12:59 PM
jkwino
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Delivery Advice

Hello All,

I am headed to the factory at the end of march to pick up my new GT3 and have some decisions to make about delivery location (Stuttgart or Leipzig) and drop off location. Unfortunately, I'm being told I need to choose a dropoff date and location now.

Any input and advice on which delivery location and driving routes are recommended would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks team
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

My advise is to pick up your car in Stuttgart and drop it off there. Transportation to and from Leipzig is a pain. The last car I took Euro delivery on I dropped it off in Amsterdam, the car sat there for a month before it was shipped the 100km to Emden. You will also get a cheaper flight when you round trip to the same city. Have them book your hotel at the Schlossgarten a beautiful five star hotel. Stay a couple of extra days in Stuttgart and make sure you get the Porsche rate at this hotel @ 159Euros a night. See the Mercedes museum. Have fun
Old 03-02-2015, 02:59 PM
calpolo17
Instructor

Definitely make the trek to the Mercedes Museum. It was my favorite activity over my entire Europe trip last year. Excuse the blasphemy, but in my opinion it was much better than Porsche's own museum (which was impressive in its own right).
Old 03-02-2015, 06:45 PM
jkwino
Advanced

Thanks guys, good stuff
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM
ralt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuttgart is definitly the place to pickup the car. Factory , porsche museum, schniztle
Old 03-02-2015, 07:42 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ralt
Stuttgart is definitly the place to pickup the car. Factory , porsche museum, schniztle

Been there, done that, love it, oh and the beer is not bad either.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:21 PM
otisdog
Pro

There is not a bad beer in Germany, I don't think.
If you pick up the car in Stuttgart, don't they blow holes in the front bumper for the license?
And leipzig they tape it on, if requested?
Old 03-02-2015, 08:56 PM
pvgolfer
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not done European delivery myself, but I plan to do so if I get my GT4 allocation. Anyway, I've heard that a Leipzig delivery also includes some track time in a factory provided version of your car. The track time is with an accompanying brand ambassdor, where he/she demos various features of the car. Please provide additional info as you find out... Thanks and good luck!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 PM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to do European delivery last summer and my return was open with no specific location. Unless things have changed I would look into why they need you to make the commitment of a return location this far in advance.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

I did ED in fall of 2013, originally we were planning to drop the car off in Nice, France. But ended up changing our plans and dropped the car back off at the factory. They didn't car. If you don't return the car to the factory, you're turning over to a 3rd party to handle the return of the car for shipping. One plus to drop off at the factory is that they will fix anything you find wrong with the car. I had a interior issue, that was fixed before shipped back.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

Definitely pick up in Stuttgart, do 911 Factory tour.
Also, drop off is 24/7 any time you want!
Do not go to Austria with Summer tires until April 15th
Old 03-27-2015, 11:39 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

What about picking it up in Leipzig but dropping it off in Stuttgart? You can do the track in Leipzig plus tour. Then drive to Stuttgart via the Ring for lap time. Of course, driving along the pass if you prefer. Maybe they will give another free tour in the Porsche Museum. Has anybody done that? I am thinking of doing it that way this year. From US to Stuttgart with the same return flight and take a train/flight/car to Leipzig.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:12 PM
jkwino
Advanced

Good idea to return in Stuttgart- definitely planning to do the museum...

Regarding beating my new car on the ring- I think it would be unfair to drive it for a lap time with such low miles - perhaps I'll consider renting a track car.

Its seems a safety concern that the track is full of tourists however...
Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

If you haven't done Stuttgart Then that is the first ED to do! First it is the factory where the 991s are made so getting the factory tour is more applicable to your car. Also great drives to Baden Baden and in the Black Forest not too far from Stuttgart. Taking the back roads in that area is truly one of the great drives of my life. They have a fair grounds not far from the Factory in Zuffenhausen where they have Oktoberfest like celebrations several times per year. The local Bundesliga team, VFB Stuttgart plays at Mercedes Stadium which is right across the street from the Mercedes factory and museum. Lake Constance is 2 hours away great drive very pretty. Affalterbach, where AMG is located, is not far and really beautiful area near Ludwigsburg which has a wonderful Castle called Schloss Ludwigsburg. Obviously Cologne and the Nurburgring are not too far but plenty to do around Stuttgart. The fastest way of getting your car to the States is by dropping it off at Zuffenhausen/Stuttgart the logistics are simple and it gets to the port much sooner than if you leave it at a remote location or even Leipzig. Have fun I hope to go next year for the RS!
Old 03-27-2015, 12:42 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jkwino
Good idea to return in Stuttgart- definitely planning to do the museum...

Regarding beating my new car on the ring- I think it would be unfair to drive it for a lap time with such low miles - perhaps I'll consider renting a track car.

Its seems a safety concern that the track is full of tourists however...
You can check-off one item in your bucket list. You don't need to speed up while in the Ring, wink. I've done it and you can just drive leisurely or just stretch the engine a little bit. I managed to overtake a Hummer who was driving even slower than me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Advice