991 GT3 Oversteer Setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:12 PM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 GT3 Oversteer Setup

Hi guys,

What is the best setup for the car to be tail happy but still able to maintain the slides (not make the car too snappy)?

Softest sway bar front and firmest in the rear?
Old 02-28-2015, 03:14 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Excessive tire dressing.
Summer tires in winter weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-28-2015, 03:25 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

The throttle pedal and good driving skills. That way you can get oversteer when you want. Setting up the car the way is sloppy.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Turn off the nannies!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes, why do I have a feeling we're going to be reading about a wrecked GT3 very soon? Setting up a car for ill handling is a TERRIBLE idea. If you can't hang the tail out with your driving skills in stock form, then you more than likely you have no place hanging the tail out period. Not trying to be mean, just saying, focus on your driving skills better and then being able to slide the rear around and rotate the car will be simple. The ONLY reason that I could see wanting to set up a car like that is to shoot videos of the car rotating at slow speeds.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:19 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Hi guys,

What is the best setup for the car to be tail happy but still able to maintain the slides (not make the car too snappy)?

Softest sway bar front and firmest in the rear?
As some of the other guys here have already mentioned, setting up the GT3 specifically to oversteer is a bad idea for several reasons, but I wanted to give you a bit more basic information.

Because of the 911's rear engine location and weight distribution, the 911 is always going to be prone to snap oversteer: This is why you will never see a 911 drift car: the heavy front engine, rear wheel drive layout is much better for tail-out control, and consequentially, much slower lap times. This is of course, part of the charm of the 911: it is a much more complex and tricky car to drive, but once a driver learns how to exploit it, can end up embarrassing much more powerful cars on the racetrack.

ALL THAT BEING SAID, the GT3 has a very adjustable suspension, and it does come from the factory tuned specifically to have a small amount of understeer, to keep inexperienced drivers safe. While there are much better sources on this board for information on GT3 chassis tuning, I believe a good start would be to have the car aligned so that there is at least -1.5 degrees of negative camber in the front, and to set your front sway bar to it's softest setting, and the rear to the hardest. This will be MORE than enough of a change to the balance for a skilled driver to be able to get the tail out, and keep it out.

I hope that helps.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
As some of the other guys here have already mentioned, setting up the GT3 specifically to oversteer is a bad idea for several reasons, but I wanted to give you a bit more basic information.

Because of the 911's rear engine location and weight distribution, the 911 is always going to be prone to snap oversteer: This is why you will never see a 911 drift car: the heavy front engine, rear wheel drive layout is much better for tail-out control, and consequentially, much slower lap times. This is of course, part of the charm of the 911: it is a much more complex and tricky car to drive, but once a driver learns how to exploit it, can end up embarrassing much more powerful cars on the racetrack.
I hope that helps.
I agree with your comments completely. Understeer is far easier to control than the snap oversteer which has already resulted
in several heavily crashed GT3s.

Until the 991 GT3RS proves its anticipated performance, IMHO, I’m convinced the 991 GT3 is the best Track Porsche ever to
be road licensed. A 2015 GT3 was recently Track tested around Willow Springs by Randy Pobst for Motor Trend Magazine.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t3_first_test/

Randy noted "The turn-in is so accurate,” Pobst said. “Could be the best I’ve ever felt in a 911. The rear will let go in the middle of a corner."

Other quotes from the road test:

"Hoping for a balance between straight-line speed and cornering performance, Porsche delivered the car’s manually adjustable suspension and wing setup rather conservatively. As such, the GT3 had a tendency to lift-throttle oversteer on the figure eight, foot-wide Cup tires be damned. Although it was great fun to drift the car around, it was obvious that, tuned for more grip and less oversteer, the GT3 would be noticeably quicker around the track and likely perform even better on the skidpad."

"As we found during instrumented testing, Pobst agreed the car could do more with a bit less oversteer."

I noticed the same tendency that Pobst did after a few Track days and addressed the oversteer tendency by working with Max Crawford and his Race Engineers at Crawford Composites. After several months of development he developed a
larger and more effective Wing similar to the new GT3RS which reduces oversteer and keeps the Rear End more firmly “Planted” in high speed corners and clears the view to the rear also. You can see the new wing mounted on my Avatar.
FMI: David Cooper (704) 483-4175 http://crawfordcomposites.com
Old 03-01-2015, 09:02 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Yikes, why do I have a feeling we're going to be reading about a wrecked GT3 very soon? Setting up a car for ill handling is a TERRIBLE idea. If you can't hang the tail out with your driving skills in stock form, then you more than likely you have no place hanging the tail out period. Not trying to be mean, just saying, focus on your driving skills better and then being able to slide the rear around and rotate the car will be simple. The ONLY reason that I could see wanting to set up a car like that is to shoot videos of the car rotating at slow speeds.
I am actually a professional driver... You can find my page on facebook...
Was just curious if someone had tried different setups for such situations. A video I watched on youtube said that as the porsche changed the setup, the car was less oversteery.. I think it was motortrend or some other show. That's why I was curious.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:17 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

u don t need to change the setup
if u have a 991 GT3 you ll find pushing both the paddles will
make the car drifting
be ready with your front wheel
have fun
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I agree with your comments completely. Understeer is far easier to control than the snap oversteer which has already resulted in several heavily crashed GT3s. Until the 991 GT3RS proves its anticipated performance, IMHO, I’m convinced the 991 GT3 is the best Track Porsche ever to be road licensed. A 2015 GT3 was recently Track tested around Willow Springs by Randy Pobst for Motor Trend Magazine. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...t3_first_test/ Randy noted "The turn-in is so accurate,” Pobst said. “Could be the best I’ve ever felt in a 911. The rear will let go in the middle of a corner." Other quotes from the road test: "Hoping for a balance between straight-line speed and cornering performance, Porsche delivered the car’s manually adjustable suspension and wing setup rather conservatively. As such, the GT3 had a tendency to lift-throttle oversteer on the figure eight, foot-wide Cup tires be damned. Although it was great fun to drift the car around, it was obvious that, tuned for more grip and less oversteer, the GT3 would be noticeably quicker around the track and likely perform even better on the skidpad." "As we found during instrumented testing, Pobst agreed the car could do more with a bit less oversteer." I noticed the same tendency that Pobst did after a few Track days and addressed the oversteer tendency by working with Max Crawford and his Race Engineers at Crawford Composites. After several months of development he developed a larger and more effective Wing similar to the new GT3RS which reduces oversteer and keeps the Rear End more firmly “Planted” in high speed corners and clears the view to the rear also. You can see the new wing mounted on my Avatar. FMI: David Cooper (704) 483-4175 http://crawfordcomposites.com
I am pretty convinced they have the tires over inflated (street pressures or over) and they need to bring it down substantially. I run with 29/32 F/R super HOT (I mean so hot that the air coming out is way hot to hold the pressure gauge hot). I bet they got the tires to 36/40 on that test, and that's way too high. It was very evident on Carlos Lago's figure 8 video.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:53 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Was just curious if someone had tried different setups for such situations. A video I watched on youtube said that as the porsche changed the setup, the car was less oversteery.. I think it was motortrend or some other show. That's why I was curious.
May I ask what form of professional racing your in? Second- shouldn't you or your sponsor knows what to do rather than rely on a rl board what makes a 911 oversteer? It really sounds weird when you to go to a forum and asked how to make it oversteer since you're a professional driver-doesn't make sense. Mike
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ahh. In that case, start with tire pressures, then the sway bars, then camber, in that order, and obviously stop when you get the desired balance.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:38 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
May I ask what form of professional racing your in? Second- shouldn't you or your sponsor knows what to do rather than rely on a rl board what makes a 911 oversteer? It really sounds weird when you to go to a forum and asked how to make it oversteer since you're a professional driver-doesn't make sense. Mike
Couldn't find Shahano on Facebook either.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:22 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Nothing wrong with asking forums. this is to be used as my personal car and not my racecar. Nothing wrong with asking people what they think. I raced in Frenault UK for the 12-13 season and raced in the Blancpain endurance series for 14.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:25 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

https://www.facebook.com/ShahanSarkissian

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 Oversteer Setup