Sponsored by:

ETHANOL FREE

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snabbgt3
Consider using Sunoco 260 GTX unleaded and EtOH-free (98octane) gas for your winter storage, at least ... to make sure you have no phase separation during the winter months. There's one heating company locally that sells this from a large storage tank on its premises, at $8.25/gallon. Otherwise you'll pay $15-16/gallon in 5-gallon jugs.

I use this gas for weekly fill-up if ... however, this company (a heating and cooling company) is located 45 minutes away (i.e. NOT available at local gas station). It's a nuisance that it's not located too conveniently and that it's pricey. If I'm unable to fill up with GTX think it's a must to use stabilizer ..
For what it's worth, when I owned an R8 and an RS5 from Audi, both of them said not to use Sunoco fuel. They had a guide of approved/recommended fuel suppliers and Sunoco was a notable exception to the list. Never seen the same approved list concept from Porsche so I just stick to BP, Shell and Exxon.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
That's cause it doesn't get as cold there. It's s cold winter thing.
No. It's politics, and clean air regulations, mainly. And there's no branded ethanol free 93 in the South.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 02-28-2015, 01:16 PM
gyd
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Originally Posted by LexVan
Those are all "unbranded". Have you read the "details" section? Most haven't been updated for 3 years. I seriously doubt the 93 pure gas is really 93 octane. Nor do I think the 93 is ethanol free.

Check with a test kit. Easy to do. Kits cost about $30. All you need is fuel, water, dye and a graduated cylinder.

I have been using the pure-gas page for years traveling with my son that races motocross and 93 non-ethanol is available especially in the southeast. We would run premium non-ethanol in everything from pressure washers to a practice 450. You can usually find non ethanol fuel near a lake and always at the marinas.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:16 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
91ACN! Crap gas. 91 Oct 10% ethanol for AZ, CA, NV. In TX now, car likes the 93. Happy car.
Yup, was going to say California is 10% Ethanol. I don't know for sure if it's a ploy to keep down Emissios or what? But Ethanol is far more detremental to A car's life span than straight Gasoline; injectors, fuel rails even if you let a car sit a long time with 10% Ethanol in the tank corrosion issue's arise much quicker from the gas tank. I forget the name of it, don't know if it is Stabill or what, but there are additives you can add to your gas tank if you are forced to use 10% Ethanol in California and use the car rarely or know you won't be using the car for a very long time.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Those are all "unbranded". Have you read the "details" section? Most haven't been updated for 3 years. I seriously doubt the 93 pure gas is really 93 octane. Nor do I think the 93 is ethanol free. Check with a test kit. Easy to do. Kits cost about $30. All you need is fuel, water, dye and a graduated cylinder. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Octane rating is regulated by law. You cannot state 93 octane and then sell anything different.

Unbranded does not mean substandard.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:09 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Haku
Octane rating is regulated by law. You cannot state 93 octane and then sell anything different.
Sure they can. Just don't get caught. And the equipment to test and audit octane is tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:38 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NateOZ
For what it's worth, when I owned an R8 and an RS5 from Audi, both of them said not to use Sunoco fuel. They had a guide of approved/recommended fuel suppliers and Sunoco was a notable exception to the list. Never seen the same approved list concept from Porsche so I just stick to BP, Shell and Exxon.
Odd ... Sunoco Race Fuels are used for sanctioned events at Pocono Raceway and I think at NJMP as well, if I recall correctly. Sunoco is well known for their race fuels. I have thought of their fuels as very appropriate for the Porsche GT3.

Quick Reply: ETHANOL FREE