Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 and Aprilia Dead Even Acceleration

Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 PM
Red GTS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Do you ride already? Just thought I'd ask as this is NOT a beginners bike and should come with a warning sign!!
To many Beginners start off riding bigger faster bikes when which slows the learning curve. buying the right size bike with equal amounts of practice and a good motorcycle skills school works in there favor. Most of us could use an advance course after riding a few years.
Love the 1299 S
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Red GTS
....Love the 1299 S
Exactly.. See what you did there ? LOL. You didn't say; "I like the 899", or the 1199.. You liked the big mother-hosser 1299... Looks just the same as the smaller one but we feel drawn to the appeal of insano power...

While we all talk ab young/new riders starting out on small bikes, they are just like seasoned riders who like the big stuff right away. Agree with your point though, just so hard to teach it to the newbies.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Exactly.. See what you did there ? LOL. You didn't say; "I like the 899", or the 1199.. You liked the big mother-hosser 1299... Looks just the same as the smaller one but we feel drawn to the appeal of insano power...

While we all talk ab young/new riders starting out on small bikes, they are just like seasoned riders who like the big stuff right away. Agree with your point though, just so hard to teach it to the newbies.
I've been riding bikes for 10 years...and yes the 1299s is incoming in April (or so the dealer says--as does my deposit ).

Doesn't look like it will be here for the MotoGP at COTA but probably the week after.

BRING IT! Thanks Matt for input.

Ohhh those Italians know how to build a hot bike (and VW knows how to add that German know how)...

Old 02-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

^That's a beast
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try the KTM Adventure? It seems to be pushing ino the MS and GSA arena and the new Bosch traction control unit seems to be leading the pack right now. I was going to get one to replace my Triumph Tiger for my commute work but changed direction and got an S1000R instead. That's a fun bike!!
Yep, it was Bike of the yr in 2014. I am hooked on GSA with the big tank KTM is BAD a$$. The Multi is addictive. Every time I sell the GSA or the Multi I turn around and buy them back. I sold the 2014 GSA and turned around and got the 15 GSA in less than three months. Now debating on Muli again but need the Pikes Peak color combo or something different. Had the 1199 and 1098 three times but I scared myself with those guys

Last edited by silverrules; 02-24-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:45 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Question for the bike guys. Most crazy fast sport bikes have a top speed around 185 MPH to 190 MPH. The 991 GT3 has a top speed of 195 MPH. Assuming the bike did not launch aggressively, once over 130 MPH, wouldn't the GT3 have the edge? At some point, given the higher top speed of the GT3, it will start out accelerating the bike.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Jonathan - the ONLY reason that the Aprilla rider was next to you during your run was because he wanted to listen to your exhaust. Can't blame him for that...
haha. yeah maybe that is it...

honestly, i had no idea about these bikes and their power to weight ratio. completely ignorant. So, clearly something was funny with my experience. But we were at the stoplight, he laid into it, I laid into it, I had it in PDK-sport automatic mode, and just let the car shift at 9k every time. I was neck and neck with him up to a certain speed with 3 digits before I left off. At the next light he gave a big thumbs up and took off. From this thread, I figure, he was either just playing with me, missed a shift, had the slowest Aprilia made (doubtful, it actually looked a lot like the red one posted here, except it was black with a bunch of carbon fiber on it), he was new to riding and didn't want to push it, or who knows, something. Clearly these bikes are faster than the GT3 and I was just ignorant. But I don't care, because it was a fun mile or so and made me feel like a teen again
Old 02-24-2015, 11:39 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3.9GT3
Question for the bike guys. Most crazy fast sport bikes have a top speed around 185 MPH to 190 MPH. The 991 GT3 has a top speed of 195 MPH. Assuming the bike did not launch aggressively, once over 130 MPH, wouldn't the GT3 have the edge? At some point, given the higher top speed of the GT3, it will start out accelerating the bike.
Have a look at post #6 in this thread and maybe watch the video in the link. The bike pulled the biggest gap between 100-150 mph over a P1 and 918 Spyder. 0-100 mph all three were pretty equal with the bike nudging it. It's not until they get to 180'ish that the bike hits the rev limiter in top gear where as the P1 continues thru 200+ mph.
So a top of the range liter bike will kill a GT3 to 150 and then you're right the GT 3 would start to claw back above that. Of course the difference is anyone, with respect, can stamp on an accelerator and hold the wheel straight but not many people can really wring out a liter bike to its max potential without ending up on their backs with the bike between their legs!!
Old 02-24-2015, 11:43 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Of course the difference is anyone, with respect, can stamp on an accelerator and hold the wheel straight but not many people can really wring out a liter bike to its max potential without ending up on their backs with the bike between their legs!!
i am not confused about that, and i have made that point in this thread a few times. my reaction after the encounter, was - my God, the "cojones" on that guy...
Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
haha. yeah maybe that is it...

honestly, i had no idea about these bikes and their power to weight ratio. completely ignorant. So, clearly something was funny with my experience. But we were at the stoplight, he laid into it, I laid into it, I had it in PDK-sport automatic mode, and just let the car shift at 9k every time. I was neck and neck with him up to a certain speed with 3 digits before I left off. At the next light he gave a big thumbs up and took off. From this thread, I figure, he was either just playing with me, missed a shift, had the slowest Aprilia made (doubtful, it actually looked a lot like the red one posted here, except it was black with a bunch of carbon fiber on it), he was new to riding and didn't want to push it, or who knows, something. Clearly these bikes are faster than the GT3 and I was just ignorant. But I don't care, because it was a fun mile or so and made me feel like a teen again
Sounds like you had a good experience. This has happened to me once when I was on the bike and came up on a Dodge Viper on the back roads. He saw me and gassed it and I sat behind him. We did this a few times and then mutual nods of respect and we went our own ways. No harm, no foul. It's the 21 year olds who wheelie down the 405 wearing shorts and flip flops that let the side down!!
Old 02-25-2015, 12:29 AM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Have a look at post #6 in this thread and maybe watch the video in the link. The bike pulled the biggest gap between 100-150 mph over a P1 and 918 Spyder. 0-100 mph all three were pretty equal with the bike nudging it. It's not until they get to 180'ish that the bike hits the rev limiter in top gear where as the P1 continues thru 200+ mph.
So a top of the range liter bike will kill a GT3 to 150 and then you're right the GT 3 would start to claw back above that. Of course the difference is anyone, with respect, can stamp on an accelerator and hold the wheel straight but not many people can really wring out a liter bike to its max potential without ending up on their backs with the bike between their legs!!
Thanks, and I highlighted a section from your reply. That is probably the best explanation.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 GT3 and Aprilia Dead Even Acceleration