Sponsored by:

Sport bucket seats and children

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 01:38 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
For sure, I don't think that there is an argument or debate here. Personally I am just still trying to figure out what the contention is. Because I have lwb, and I have small kids that ride in them. Why would the airbags deploying be different than any other vehicle with airbag deploying? Why would lwb with weight sensors be any different than any other seat with sensors? I see the light indicate that they shut off when my kid sits down. Still confused :-)
As the OP, I can only speak for my reasons for posting.

You can see by the myriad of responses in this thread that there is still a lot of confusion about the safety of children in the LWBs. My dealer, apparently along with several others, isn't sure and like many others here... as much as I love cars... I put the safety of my son first and foremost.

When I posted this originally I had hoped that my query would get some solid answers and it appears that we're headed in that direction.

There are several versions of child safety seats, including:
- rear facing buckets
- rear facing seats
- front facing that rely on LATCH
- front facing that rely on belts
- front facing boosters

My guess is that the LWB's remain unsafe for children who rely on the first three. However, if your child (or small adult, if you think about it) is using a booster, these seats should be perfectly safe.

I want to thank all of you for your responses so far and promise to report back when I hear something definitive back.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:36 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
As the OP, I can only speak for my reasons for posting.

You can see by the myriad of responses in this thread that there is still a lot of confusion about the safety of children in the LWBs. My dealer, apparently along with several others, isn't sure and like many others here... as much as I love cars... I put the safety of my son first and foremost.

When I posted this originally I had hoped that my query would get some solid answers and it appears that we're headed in that direction.

There are several versions of child safety seats, including:
- rear facing buckets
- rear facing seats
- front facing that rely on LATCH
- front facing that rely on belts
- front facing boosters

My guess is that the LWB's remain unsafe for children who rely on the first three. However, if your child (or small adult, if you think about it) is using a booster, these seats should be perfectly safe.

I want to thank all of you for your responses so far and promise to report back when I hear something definitive back.
I think you got it right. And I think a lot of the confusion was around airbags, airbag sensors, etc. being different in these seats. The focus was on the airbags being dangerous to kids. Maybe, but still not sure that I believe that they are any more or less so than any other airbag in the front seat of any car. Obviously my kids matter more than a car. But I also think that some can get carried away with these dangers without facts. I sent a note to Porsche, waiting to hear back for my specific situation. Kids that are 60lbs or higher in a booster in the LWB seats with the airbag off light. Will let you know what I hear. thanks
Old 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM
kneman1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys I am late to the thread but I was hoping someone can answer this question for me. I have a 2 year old. My car has the 18 way. Can I put a car seat in the front and if so does porsche sell an OEM one I can buy?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kneman1
Hey guys I am late to the thread but I was hoping someone can answer this question for me. I have a 2 year old. My car has the 18 way. Can I put a car seat in the front and if so does porsche sell an OEM one I can buy?
I believe Porsche sells a seat, but it's a 5 point harness seat to be used forward facing. I'm pretty against using 5 point harnesses forward facing for the same reason I don't use one on my self without a hans device. I prefer the impact shield approach at this age, but you should do your own research on it.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Porsche sells several child seats through their Tequipment line

http://www.porsche.com/usa/tequipment-childseats/

FYI - do some research, I have nothing against the Tequipment seats but found better (for me and my family) alternatives in the market.

There are several factors (age, weight, etc.) and some states have different rules but if memory serves me right (my son is now 4 so forgive me that I don't remember 2 years ago with certainty), your child should now be in a front facing, LATCH equipped seat.

If that's the case, and assuming you have a 991 GT3, yes... you can safely secure your child.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:39 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Presumably your car is a GT3? If not and it has rear seats, you may be required by law to put your 2 year old in the back. Check your State's requirements.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Porsche sells several child seats through their Tequipment line

http://www.porsche.com/usa/tequipment-childseats/

FYI - do some research, I have nothing against the Tequipment seats but found better (for me and my family) alternatives in the market.

There are several factors (age, weight, etc.) and some states have different rules but if memory serves me right (my son is now 4 so forgive me that I don't remember 2 years ago with certainty), your child should now be in a front facing, LATCH equipped seat.

If that's the case, and assuming you have a 991 GT3, yes... you can safely secure your child.

When you say you found better, can you elaborate a little for me? I have both the Tequipment seat and an Orbit seat that we use for our 11 month old. What did your research yield that led you to alternatives? Thanks.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gotboost?
When you say you found better, can you elaborate a little for me? I have both the Tequipment seat and an Orbit seat that we use for our 11 month old. What did your research yield that led you to alternatives? Thanks.
Not the person this questions is direct at, but I like the ADAC test results as they're more objective than a lot out there.

Check out this link, some of the brands etc are different and some aren't available here yet, but you can also watch videos of the tests they do etc.

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/tests...spx?tabid=tab1
Old 02-20-2015, 12:42 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

CA children under 8 must be in the back seat......
Old 02-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
CA children under 8 must be in the back seat......
not true. that's Not applicable to 2 seat cars... corvette, GT3 etc. in CA, my 7yr old legally rides in the gt3 in a booster... HOWEVER, I'm not sure I'd want my 2yr old in there it IS legal... They cannot tell you not to transport a child when you have no other place to put them... frunk?

in a 5 seat vehicle, You can even have an under 8yr old kid in the front as long as the 3 back seats are filled with younger kids....
Old 02-20-2015, 02:34 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Racin

not true. that's Not applicable to 2 seat cars... corvette, GT3 etc. in CA, my 7yr old legally rides in the gt3 in a booster... HOWEVER, I'm not sure I'd want my 2yr old in there it IS legal... They cannot tell you not to transport a child when you have no other place to put them... frunk?

in a 5 seat vehicle, You can even have an under 8yr old kid in the front as long as the 3 back seats are filled with younger kids....

Interesting info....did not know that and neither did a friend if mine who lives in LA....thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road Racin

This is correct.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:14 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gotboost?
I don't have the links here on my work computer (and may not still have them at home) but I found a few blogs and websites (mostly started by mom's) who had links to European and US crash test results for many car seats.

I was surprised that some presumably high end brands didn't fare as well as what I assumed to be inferior seats. As I recall, the Tequipment seats were good... they just weren't the best, especially when you consider the entry fee.

I will try and look when I'm home this weekend and if I can find those links, I'll happily post them.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM
991RDC
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is something written in the Tequipment catalog about the child seats. If you look to the right of the page, it says child seats must not be used with the Sports bucket seats. I'm still waiting for Adam Miller to respond back to me with the rest of the restrictions including the booster seat. See attached PDF.

TEQ_991_EN_Web 27.pdf
Old 02-23-2015, 04:47 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Note it does say that "the use of a child seat is permitted only in conjunction with child seat preparation" before the "Child seat must not be used with Sports bucket seats".

The child seat preparation isn't available for the Sports bucket seats, so I think this is the main issue with the Porsche child seats.

Quick Reply: Sport bucket seats and children