Sponsored by:

confirmation on GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 02:16 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Yep, even then no guarantees until you've signed the paperwork and got the keys in your pocket.
If you can configure and have a build commission number you are good, Ime.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
If you can configure and have a build commission number you are good, Ime.
Agree - but not sure this is the case with above MSRP situations? I imagine they might shop it all the way to the end.

Wasn't this the case for someone at recently one of the CA dealers when they went to pick up their GT3?

Last edited by NateOZ; 02-22-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: PTS & Interior Deviating Stitching Color Choices on the 991 gt3 RS

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Eduardo (Z356) is our PTS expert so he can chime in, but I thought PTS was going to initially be restricted on the new RS.
PTS expert indeed!

But regardless, if anyone is interested in my 'amateur' take on this subject, you can read it here at post #4817:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...hread-322.html

If anyone is interested in my take on the possible 991 gt3 RS interior choices, you can read it here at post #4821

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...hread-322.html

I had not read this thread before a few minutes ago...and was glad to see the report from the Middle East about a possible 'orange' interior which nicely dovetails with what I wrote last night on the other thread above! As long as is limited to 'Orange' deviating stitching on the 'black/alcantara' interior, orange door pulls, and black/orange seat belts, I am all for it.
But if it deviates into 'Orange' alcantara seat inlays and/or 'Orange' alcantara headliner (a twist on the 'Bordello Red' offered on the .2 997 gt3 RS 4.0 LE), I say they have lost their way!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
You will likely have to wait for the PTS time frame window to open. At least that was the case for the 997RS.
Remember there was no true 'PTS' allowed on the .1 997 gt3 RS in MY2007 and MY2008. There was no MY2009 RS. When RS production resumed in MY2010 as the .2 997, very few PTS were allowed that first year. The bulk of PTS gt3 RS's came in MY2011 & with last MY2012 Limited Edition 4.0. If I was a betting man, I would not wager on PTS anytime soon on the current 991 gt3 RS. So caveat lector.

Originally Posted by CGT000
I was not told PTS is available by the dealer. I was just hoping I could get one in blue. The purchase order states that I have their first allocation. Strangely, when I first agreed to their condition, I was told that I would be getting their 2nd allocation but then I was informed by the dealer that their 918 customer is willing to take their 2nd allocation therefor I was getting their 1st allocation. I guess their 918 customer wants the later allocation so that he could order a PTS one.
I think that was bad strategy by the 918 customer. The second allocation will not likely allow PTS either!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Agree - but not sure this is the case with above MSRP situations? I imagine they might shop it all the way to the end.

Wasn't this the case for someone at recently one of the CA dealers when they went to pick up their GT3?
fortunately my dealer is not a scalper dealer... I will get it at msrp just like my standard 3.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
PTS expert indeed!

But regardless, if anyone is interested in my 'amateur' take on this subject, you can read it here at post #4817:
How about "accomplished amateur"?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:46 PM
CGT000
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 57 Posts

I think that was bad strategy by the 918 customer. The second allocation will not likely allow PTS either!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Eduardo. Thank you for your input. Any idea why a PTS won't be offered on a limited edition model, at least in the beginning of the production?
Old 02-22-2015, 10:29 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
How about "accomplished amateur"?
Thanks Mike!

Originally Posted by CGT000
Eduardo. Thank you for your input. Any idea why a PTS won't be offered on a limited edition model, at least in the beginning of the production?
PTS has always been always a bit controversial at Porsche. Production engineers and the accountants in the warranty department hate it. Here is why:

a) It creates complex planning issues for production (especially if some of the parts are painted by vendors outsourced by Porsche). The most recent practice required 3 months advance notice from taking the order to the start of production. Those 3 months were needed to coordinate the production hassle of ordering PTS paint, getting to all suppliers that were going to paint a part(s), etc. That is not counting the feasibility study for the color if the latter was not yet on the approved list.

b) Quality Control issues arise all the time. Some of the bumpers on the 991 gt3's were not matching the rest of the body...and that was on 'White' cars. Imagine the added headaches of matching perfectly well 'Voodoo Blue' or 'Pastel Orange' or 'Signal Green'. The problem is further complicated by the fact that many panels (interior & exterior) that need to be painted in this PTS special color are sprayed not in Zuffenhausen's paint booths but at the vendors & subcontractors. So not all pieces are painted at the same time, with the same batch of paint, in the same atmospheric conditions, etc. You can see the problems that could arise from all of this disparate points of paint application.

c) Warranty Issues. Most of you might think $5500 for PTS is the easiest money PAG makes on its option sheet. And you would be dead wrong. If there is any warranty issues that need to be solved after delivery, $5500 doesn't cover even the first paint adjustment on the field! Unless they get it 100% right with matching all panels to the customer's total satisfaction, it's just a nightmare that never ends. Most MBA's working at Porsche would recommend that PTS is eliminated to avoid the liabilities...or raised the price to $10K or $15K for taking the gamble on offering that option!

That is just a few of the points I would single out to answer your question. The proof that PTS is a large problem at Porsche is that it has been discontinued for the balance of MY2015 last fall. That is not even halfway through the '15 production schedule. They claimed that demand overwhelmed their ability to supply. As an aside, the former manager of 'Porsche Exclusive' in the US actually told me that I (your humble Rennlister) via my many enthusiastic posts on the subject in various internet forums, was part of the reason for this increase demand! I think it's more than that. They are experiencing issues of quality control and warranty claims. And this 'stoppage' is a way for them to re-examine the entire program and identify the causes of the problems...and fix it. If it returns in MY2016, don't be surprised if its more expensive.

So it is my hope that Porsche fixes the issues and gives its customers clearer instructions or guidelines as to how to effectively order PTS. Up to recent times, before we started shedding light on the subject at Rennlist, it was admittedly the most misunderstood & opaque program that Porsche ran! Today we are further along in understanding how it all works!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Old 02-22-2015, 10:36 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most MBA's working at Porsche would recommend that PTS is eliminated to avoid the liabilities...or raised the price to $10K or $15K for taking the gamble on offering that option!
Yes. Yes we would. But only after I can order a PTS Porsche GT car at some point!
Old 02-23-2015, 12:06 AM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.pca.org/news/2015-02-22/...cations-leaked
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

PTS 4 life!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Living the life Macca!

I went for a ride in the B17 Bomber this last weekend, pretty cool.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but that is awesome Trakcar. I had a chance to fly in Aluminum Overcast about 10 years ago. That was an experience I will never forget. I always thought the B17 was a bigger plane than it was. It is crazy to think about those guys flying in a tin can being shot at and the cold temperatures. Next on the checklist is fly in a B29. I saw where they are offering flights in Little FiFi but at twice the amount as the B17.

Your buddy David Tuaty told me to tell you hello. He worked with us doing some work with McLaren this past weekend.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:36 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

FiFi was Richmond,VA when I was in med school in the early 80s. The sound of those 4 big radials coughing to life is extraordinary. And it is a big plane, much bigger than the 17. You won't be disappointed!!
Old 02-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
FiFi was Richmond,VA when I was in med school in the early 80s. The sound of those 4 big radials coughing to life is extraordinary. And it is a big plane, much bigger than the 17. You won't be disappointed!!
I have seen FiFi before on two different occasions. One time was in Chattanooga where I was doing a charity event at the Children's Hospital. We happened to walk outside when I hear the roar of the 4 radial engines flying overhead. I immediately look up to see the profile of a B-29 flying overhead. Talk about a gearhead geeking out. It was amazing. It was almost like the first time I saw a GT3RS 4.0 (back on topic ;-))
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
Don't mean to hijack the thread but that is awesome Trakcar. I had a chance to fly in Aluminum Overcast about 10 years ago. That was an experience I will never forget. I always thought the B17 was a bigger plane than it was. It is crazy to think about those guys flying in a tin can being shot at and the cold temperatures. Next on the checklist is fly in a B29. I saw where they are offering flights in Little FiFi but at twice the amount as the B17.

Your buddy David Tuaty told me to tell you hello. He worked with us doing some work with McLaren this past weekend.
My grandfather was a tail gunner in WWII and flew 23 missions in the B17 - recently got all the info. Humbling - very.

Sorry - don't get to tell many people - but when I saw this post, I had too mention it as i'm proud of my roots and very grateful.

Now back to topic!

Quick Reply: confirmation on GT3RS