Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20" OEM Wheels vs 19"… Is there a benefit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 20" OEM Wheels vs 19"… Is there a benefit?

… not really seeing it from straight line acceleration?

Deacon and I were having fun several times over (notice in the vid as he blows my doors off coming out of turn 16) throughout various sessions between PBOC Winterfest and PCA 48 Hour.

He's running completely stock, 20" OEM's and I'm running Forgeline's 19" wheels.

Having taken on and off my wheels probably two dozen times or more at this point, there is a significant weight difference and weight saving w/ the 19's. BUT, surprisingly, I'm not seeing much if any speed gains on straight acceleration?

IMO, it's not to say that it's not worth getting into 19's, though. Again, I feel one has way more choices for tires and there's no question proper tires make all the difference.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:02 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you sure they weight less. While rim are less tires are heavier so wondering if you really save any weight?
Old 02-08-2015, 04:46 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Tire plus wheel weight reduction has very minimal impact on acceleration. If you crunch the numbers, you'll see that reducing wheel weight by X pounds gives you a maximum possible acceleration benefit equal to reducing the car weight by 2X pounds (contrary to popular belief of other multiples). 2X assumes all of the mass reduction happens at the outer wheel radius for the maximum effect.

So reducing 5 pounds per wheel / tire combo (20 pounds total) would feel like reducing the car by 40 pounds at best. Not nothing, but not huge.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:51 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Video starts after you are through 16 and on the run to 17. But based on the same results in 17 on that vid the difference has nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with line and his ability to get back to the gas much earlier than you.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:32 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget that with a larger contact patch (20in), there is more grip in mid corner, therefore even though you might save a little bit of weight on the acceleration, its likely that he will have higher midcorner speed if you have the same tire grip.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:09 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Video starts after you are through 16 and on the run to 17. But based on the same results in 17 on that vid the difference has nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with line and his ability to get back to the gas much earlier than you.
True dat!
Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Don't forget that with a larger contact patch (20in), there is more grip in mid corner, therefore even though you might save a little bit of weight on the acceleration, its likely that he will have higher midcorner speed if you have the same tire grip.
There was no comment on the tire sizes used. Tires have the contact patch, not the wheels. You appear to be mistaken wheel diameter for contact patch.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:01 PM
mlpor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Don't forget that with a larger contact patch (20in), . . . . .
FWIW Shahano, I don't believe tire or rim diameter, or even rim or tire width have much to do with contact patch size / area -
they, width & diameter, will affect patch shape, but size (area) is largely a function of (a) weight and (b) tire pressure "." full stop etc.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Biggest benefit from unsprung weight comes in the form of improved handling and less work required by the suspension to keep the contact patch on the ground. Less work also gives you a greater range in which it can operate.

Acceleration and braking benefits are very slight (tough to notice unless under controlled conditions), unless it's an area where the suspension benefits kick in.

Quick Reply: 20" OEM Wheels vs 19"… Is there a benefit?