Sponsored by:

** GT3 MINI REVIEW AFTER 48 HOURS OF OWNERSHIP **

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:14 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
On your way to 2222 or Lime Creek Road? I'll look for you.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:19 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by consolidated
On your way to 2222 or Lime Creek Road? I'll look for you.
Did them all this weekend. Plenty of time on 360, 2222, 2244 to Bee Caves and points west. What an amazing weekend and the car, well it's in a class of its own. Love it

What are you driving. Sara ton of fun cars out and about this weekend. Forgot though how horrendous the traffic has gotten in Austin with everyone and there mother moving here.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:45 PM
john weires
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

After a 700 mile drive back from Colorado to Iowa today after picking up my GT3, I can second all of your observations, except I can't be quite as kind to the stereo.

The sound system is terrible and the controls will not fix it!

I realize that sound quality is subjective but I have been in the hi-fi industry my whole life so I would like to think I know the difference. There is a harsh and nasty emphasis to the upper mid-range and lower treble like a very poorly designed horn speaker exhibits. If one turns down the treble enough to try to ameliorate the problem, no treble remains. It's ok for listening to talk radio, but for music, forget it.....

I've heard plenty of low cost systems in other cars that have far less problems than this. I did not expect anything great from the Sound Package option, but it is a sorry effort. Fortunately we can listen to the motor instead!
Old 02-08-2015, 11:50 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by john weires
After a 700 mile drive back from Colorado to Iowa today after picking up my GT3, I can second all of your observations, except I can't be quite as kind to the stereo.

The sound system is terrible and the controls will not fix it!

I realize that sound quality is subjective but I have been in the hi-fi industry my whole life so I would like to think I know the difference. There is a harsh and nasty emphasis to the upper mid-range and lower treble like a very poorly designed horn speaker exhibits. If one turns down the treble enough to try to ameliorate the problem, no treble remains. It's ok for listening to talk radio, but for music, forget it.....

I've heard plenty of low cost systems in other cars that have far less problems than this. I did not expect anything great from the Sound Package option, but it is a sorry effort. Fortunately we can listen to the motor instead!
I've heard worse, but yes it's not worth even $700. However playing high bit rate via Bluetooth, with sound settings modified helped, but still not up to standards for sure.

I'd rather they offer $5k Burmester option...but if I say that people will say buy a Turbo, so better keep my mouth shut
Old 02-08-2015, 11:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

I've heard worse, but yes it's not worth even $700. However playing high bit rate via Bluetooth, with sound settings modified helped, but still not up to standards for sure.

I'd rather they offer $5k Burmester option...but if I say that people will say buy a Turbo, so better keep my mouth shut
I really don't think the GT3 cabin is suited for a quality sound system.

Lack of insulation, constant rattle from the engine, etc do not make for a good environment to fully appreciate a quality sound system.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:57 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I really don't think the GT3 cabin is suited for a quality sound system.

Lack of insulation, constant rattle from the engine, etc do not make for a good environment to fully appreciate a quality sound system.
Yep that could be the case. Interesting though because I don't find the cabin that loud or noisy at all. I was thinking about that today on a long drive--'this cabin is pretty quiet'.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Yep that could be the case. Interesting though because I don't find the cabin that loud or noisy at all. I was thinking about that today on a long drive--'this cabin is pretty quiet'.
I agree with you about the cabin noise, but I think that's because we (at least I) have sort of gotten used to the way it sounds.

I took a quick spin in the X5 this weekend and marveled at how quiet everything was. Had to stare at the tach just to make sure the engine was running.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:49 AM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats. Finally.

Everything is relative. My last audi tt-rs radio was worse than a 20 yr toyota corrolla. Trust me. Lol. This is not that bad.

Anyway, I do turn off the radio most of the time, just to listen to the engine music above 7k.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:03 PM
87turbo87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't even programmed any pre-set stations yet....I'm sure you're right about the quality of the radio but I just love listening to that engine...I got the car 2.5 months ago and just hit 100 miles....at this rate I'll be able to post my 250 mile review somehwere late June early July!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:14 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Congrats man! I too can't handle the audio in this thing. I'm going aftermarket once I figure out the exhaust. I think I'm doing Audison Bit 1 Digital Processor, Audison 5.1xHD, Actively power Hertz Mille MLK165.3 Front Stage only, and most likely two 8" Woofers of some sort. All will be run off the factory PCM unit. Should be easy to install and then revert back to stock.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Tosilog
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats! I collected mine three weeks ago but went straight to storage. Waiting for salt and potholes to clear here in Boston.

Quick Reply: ** GT3 MINI REVIEW AFTER 48 HOURS OF OWNERSHIP **