Sponsored by:

LWBS opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 03:39 AM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default LWBS opinions

Guys, I'm putting an order on the GT4 and thought this is the best forum to ask about LWBS for obvious reasons. I want to order them because they look amazing and if I ever track, it's there. I'm sure for resale (not my biggest concern), they are good too. The main issue is their comfort on a daily driver, though I don't commute more than 1hr at a time. I don't have any back problems etc. How comfortable are they? Secondly, how difficult is it to get in and out, without damaging the leather on the seats (or constantly rubbing the steering wheel bottom since I don't know how Alcantara holds up to tons of rubbing), compared to the 18-way sport plus seats?
Old 02-07-2015, 04:22 AM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comfort wise they will be subjective, as some love them and to others they are.....meh
In terms of getting in and out to me at least they are semi difficult plus you always brush against the side as you enter and exit, which will defiantly affect durability
Old 02-07-2015, 09:10 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have them in the GT3 for the last 14 months (The GT2 version). If you are using car as DD I wouldnt bother the Sports seats are very good, have a friend with new GT3 like me & Sports seats and they hold him in fine at the track -his lap time's are not less than mine because of them. Very supportive and free. If you arent going to the track I wouldnt bother so much....
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in similar situation as Shaytun. Retired so not a DD for me. I expect to do 2-3 DE events per year. I really like the way the buckets look but would be more comfortable with the Sport+ seats. Dilema

I don't understand why always the "back issue" consideration when talking about buckets. If they are more supportive, would that not be of benefit ?
Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

they fit me, they are carbon, I am obsessed with carbon fiber…but the regular sports eats if you need heated seats, are fine
Old 02-07-2015, 10:07 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have them on my GT3 and plan on ordering them on the GT4, which will be a street car.

What I like about the seats vs other 911 options:
1) Lower seating position, I'm 6'4" and can never get low enough in regular seats. 18-way seats and a helmet are no-go for me at all in a 981.
2) I like the look of the seats significantly more than the other seats.
3) I have compressed discs in my spine from playing Rugby for 19 years and the firmness of the buckets over the 18-way seats works better for my back. I've done a couple of 2-3 hour drives with only a refueling stop in the GT3 with no back issues.
4) No problem with getting into and out of the seats - my height/leg length might help here.
5) I like my cars to be more of an "event" to drive than just another car - these add to that sensation.

If there are any negatives, it would be:
1) No seat heating/venting
2) Higher side support forced me to bring the steering wheel further out than what I normally would and push the seat back further than what I normally would to to avoid contact between my legs and hands on the wheel when turning the wheel from 3 o'clock to past 5 o'clock. I my track car I just remove the cushions to deal with this issue - doesn't work so well in the LWBs.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the LWB's in my GT3 and since taking delivery of the car a little over 4 weeks ago I have been DD the car. I am 6' , 215lbs and in my mid 40's.

IMHO I think they are very comfortable seats for DD. Every week now I have commuted from La. To Tx. (3 1/2 hours each way) and than drive the car in Houston traffic during the week. No complaints what so ever. Sure I don't doubt the sport seats would make ingress/egress easier and comfort marginally better. But I track this car as well, the performance the LWB's give me on the track (lower seating position, harnesses , lightweight) far outweigh the sport seat option in this usage.

The answer u receive will all be subjective, I would suggest finding a LWB car and sit in it. Get in/out of the car a few times and that should tell you more than what u are reading here. Good luck and enjoy that GT4, that is going to be one helluva car.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:17 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

u should ask if any of us are located near you so you could sit in the seats before deciding
Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
u should ask if any of us are located near you so you could sit in the seats before deciding
That's a great point. Is anyone in the LA area that would be okay with me checking out their buckets.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

For me, they are the most comfortable seats Porsche makes.

Once you learn how to get in and out, it's easy and you do not rub on the bolsters.

With the added complexity of the height-adjustment mechanism, I would not use them in a dedicated track car - just get a real race seat. For occasional track use and DD, they are fine. I wonder if the passenger seat will have the sub belt slots cut or not?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:45 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm 6'7" and the lwb's are a dream compared to my 996 gt3 buckets that overly squeezed my hips which are 38" from a pant size. The lwb's are a must if you have that option.
Old 02-07-2015, 09:03 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them a lot. My wife also does.

HOWEVER, I HATE HATE HATE the fact that they don't fold. This is a street car first so having them fold so I can throw stuff in the back would be obvious to me.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

On the track, "comfort" is hardly a consideration... I'm looking for being held in place. The LWB seats do a reasonably good job of it, but would benefit greatly from a harness.

On the street, IMHO, there is hardly anything about the GT-3 that exudes "comfort". The suspension, seats, steering... heck, everything allows you to experience every rock, rut, grain of sand, etc., that is in your path. I'm convinced a Peterbuilt would provide a more comfortable ride... my Jeep sure does. I'm not convinced 58 way buckets sourced from the House of Comfort would help much. The car is what it is... an exquisitely engineered toy that will provide a tremendous amount of fun to most any car guy that gets to own or drive one, just not with a lot of ride "comfort".

With that said, had I had little or no intention of tracking the car, I probably would have been better off without the LWB's.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:57 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Love them - got them in the GT3 I picked up yesterday. Much better than the GT2 buckets I have in the Boxster. In a GT4 they will help you feel much more connected with the car.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Recently, someone the forum made on of those increasingly rare non-verbose, yet poignant posts which stuck with me... It went something like this:

"The LWB aren't just for the track, their very presence actually increases the sense of connectedness and pure driving pleasure for even the most menial of errands with the GT3..."

Ok, my memory isn't precise.. But the gist of the sentiment stuck.. This car is special, don't neuter it down, let it manifest its full essence with those seats regardless of how hardcore or not your use is.

Quick Reply: LWBS opinions