991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LWBS opinions

Old 02-08-2015, 07:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

All the above makes sense but my opinion echoes Macca's. I would like to add that if you plan on tracking without a harness, then the 18 way seats are a better option. The 18 way seats (with the bolsters fully inflated) offered me very similar lateral support to the GT2 buckets that I now have. The only reason, in my opinion, to get the LWBS, is to allow for harness installation, an important safety mod. Getting in and out of the buckets is a PITA and have decreased my daily driving a little.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sam would add that if you are using LWB with harness then you MUST have neck restraint fitted or else you are likely safer in Sports seats with three point road belt! Also same for passenger if you want them to wear harness. Like I say I dont see anyone lapping slower in the GT3 cause they have sports seats not buckets - just sayin...
Old 02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Sam would add that if you are using LWB with harness then you MUST have neck restraint fitted or else you are likely safer in Sports seats with three point road belt! Also same for passenger if you want them to wear harness. Like I say I dont see anyone lapping slower in the GT3 cause they have sports seats not buckets - just sayin...
The more I research this the more I question whether harnesses make sense at all on track with this car since the HANS will not help you in a side impact when stuck in a harness.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very valid point, these aren't halo seats after all. However hit from behind or impact from front three quarter 6 pts plus NR will certainly help..,,
Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
That's a great point. Is anyone in the LA area that would be okay with me checking out their buckets.
I got a boxster spyder with the LWB, love them. Your welcome to try if your ever around Woodland Hills. Send me a PM
Old 03-12-2015, 01:51 PM
sonorous
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 233 Posts

I am 6'1" hoping to land a GT4.

This thread seems to indicate that the LWB seats offer a lower seating position than the Sport Plus or 18-Way. Does anyone know how much lower?

Also, does anyone know if they offer more aft adjustment or if they have a thinner profile in the back at least? This would be applicable in a 981 where the seat backs up against the firewall. It is probably not a consideration in a 991.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
That's a great point. Is anyone in the LA area that would be okay with me checking out their buckets.
+1. I'm in LA too and would like to try them if anyone would be so kind.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:37 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Guys remember the Cayman has no back area to store stuff in, these seats do slide forward to give some room behind the passenger seat. As a daily driver I would get the sofa seats, you can always add a track seat.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:48 PM
fishing
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shaytun, did you end up ordering the LWBs? I received a GT4 allocation and ordered the 18 ways, mostly because I need to drive back and forth to the track (160 miles each way), usually in one day. I have a separate track car, but will occasionally track this car. It was hard to pass on the LWB and I would have ordered the LWBs if I was going to be in the car for less than 2 hours a day. Driving to and from the track is 4-5 hours of driving time, excluding the track time.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:56 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you like the lwbs but are concerned about the driving position, you can make them much more comfortable with a $20-30 lumbar cushion. I bought two from Amazon. Helps immensely. So much so that I'm getting them in the RS and GT4 now after initially thinking I'd do the 18 ways.

The only other issue is no seat heating. But another 918 owner retrofitted that too.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:52 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have them and if I had to do it over again, I would have skipped this option.

They look AWESOME for sure.

My wife is not a fan.

Originally, I planned to use them for the track but find them a bit too large in the shoulder area (I'm 5'8" - 155lbs) and not super tight in the hip area either. So, even with a harness, I don't think they'd be great for the track either (at least for me).

So, I will install a proper track seat to use with the HANS. It will be a HALO as well for side impact protection.

I'm used to them for daily driving - in fact, I find them pretty comfortable. Getting in and out is a pain at first but you figure out how to do it easily and it's not a big deal.

When I first got the car, I was sure I was going to swap them out but over time, I've learned to like them.

Bottom line IMO, they look awesome but they are too big for me to be considered a good track seat.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:28 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Recently, someone the forum made on of those increasingly rare non-verbose, yet poignant posts which stuck with me... It went something like this:

"The LWB aren't just for the track, their very presence actually increases the sense of connectedness and pure driving pleasure for even the most menial of errands with the GT3..."

Ok, my memory isn't precise.. But the gist of the sentiment stuck.. This car is special, don't neuter it down, let it manifest its full essence with those seats regardless of how hardcore or not your use is.

This^

Have LWBs in my newly delivered 3. Love them!

Had 4ways in my .2 3. Great seats, but prefer the buckets.

Non track car.
Old 03-22-2015, 03:31 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
getting in and out sucks
That's why I got the sofa seats....
Old 03-22-2015, 10:41 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

I test "sat" in them in a GT3. I just barely fit, but fit I did. The cushion and driving position is surprisingly pleasant. I'm 38" waist and fit snug between the hip cushions which extend up about twice as high as the Sport Plus seats. The resulting space between the high hip sides and steering wheel is limited and will require climbing in and out of them. I would agree with the other posters that say getting in and out sucks. And, your wife will not like them.

I have not yet determined if I can fit in them with a helmet. They do sit lower than Sports Seats, but how much lower? At 6'3" I am concerned that I will not fit with a helmet since the back does not incline - so pulling the seat forward and dropping the back of the seat a few degrees will not be a workable solution with LWBs as it is for the Sport Seats.

They look great, and are lighter. But I think I will stay with the sport seats that are very nice with both moderate hip and IMO better shoulder support - plus they incline so even if you are 6'5" you can fit in a Cayman when the Sport Seats is adjusted properly.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 03-22-2015 at 10:42 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not a good daily driver seat. Because so hard to get in and out of. But once in them, extremely comfortable. For long distances. And I'm 5'11, 200+ lbs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LWBS opinions