Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 does not equal DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:11 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Different people, different taste, different places, different circumstances.
Nobody is wrong in any respect.

i have not received my GT3 but I have owned a 997.1 C2S and 997.2 C4S and I did not also like driving it as DD. The suspension is too stiff for me. In fact, thats one of the reason I traded them for my previous F430. To be honest with you, my previous F430 and current SCUD, has a better chance of being a DD than my last 997.2. The suspension is much more forgiving for uneven roads and the auto mode is perfect. Its loud but its musical to the ears.

So returning to a GT3 is voluntary on my part. I understand that cars are different and no car can do everything. So my GT3 is just going to be a weekend car and a track car.

you can use it as a DD but I cannot. I have more important things to worry about than worry about where to park, worrying about pigeon droppings, having a headache when the transmission becomes clunky, worrying about potholes.

I am excited to get my GT3 in March(its in the boat now in the Atlantic) and more so when I think that it would be together with my SCUD. I hope to drive it as often as possible but am not so excited to drive it to and from work.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Fair point. Like I said earlier, DD is defined differently depending on where one lives. If you're dealing with bumper to bumper traffic every day, of course a track car like the GT3 isn't going to make a good daily driver. If you live in a less congested part of the country, HELL yes the GT3 is a stunning DD, like it is for me.

If anyone is foolish enough to think the GT3 would do well in bumper to bumper traffic, they get what they deserve.

Regarding the auto in traffic/low speeds, you are absolutely right, it's drive much smoother in manual using the paddles. When up to speed, the auto is smooth but other stop and go, it's not good at all.

If the Gt3 was great in traffic, it largely wouldn't be what it is and lose what makes it so special, atleast IMO.

Congrats on the scud, always been a huge fan, look forward to owning one in the near future.
I have my E60 M5 with SMG. The complaints about the GT3 having a imperfect Auto mode is not surprising. The only car that would have a perfect AUTO mode is an automatic. I remember when the SMG in the E60 first came out, drivers and enthusiasts noted that in town and slow speeds on AUTO mode was a clunky transmission. I did not test drive one before I bought one and when I drove it on Auto mode for 1200 miles from OH to TX, I thought I want to return the car. It was that bad.

But I still have my M5 since 2008, why? Because I learned how to drive it. basically use the paddles and it would be the best manual transmission you can have. If you rely on the car to shift for you and expect it to be perfect when it is a manual car, is like expecting a kid who just got his drivers license to drive a manual transmission. FORGET it.

Expectation is high when a button says AUTO mode, but it is not a washing machine. It would be better if they instead label it as SEMI-AUTO.

Unfortunate not all of us are used to driving manuals or its been a while since driving one so using the paddles would be difficult also,but if you learn the perfect timing to use the paddles in up/down shift, it would be smooth as silk.

I am one of a few people probably who is not thinking of going back to a clutch pedal car. My shoes are so expensive, I cannot afford to replace them every month just because my left shoe looks older than my right.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:00 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is one thing we can all agree on...This car is not meant to be driven in traffic in automatic!
Old 02-07-2015, 12:19 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nycjwi
I think there is one thing we can all agree on...This car is not meant to be driven in traffic in automatic!

True that.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:25 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

+1
Old 02-07-2015, 02:32 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

anybody here daily drive their 991GT3 in vancouver traffic?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
Where in SoCal do you live? I am going to DD the GT4 (but also use it as intended on the weekends). Think I may be in for some pain / scraping, but you only live once.
I am in OC
Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

anybody here daily drive their 991GT3 in vancouver traffic?
Haven't done that but there are some great roads around there that would make it worthwhile having one in Vancouver.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:07 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Different people, different taste, different places, different circumstances.
Nobody is wrong in any respect.

i have not received my GT3 but I have owned a 997.1 C2S and 997.2 C4S and I did not also like driving it as DD. The suspension is too stiff for me. In fact, thats one of the reason I traded them for my previous F430. To be honest with you, my previous F430 and current SCUD, has a better chance of being a DD than my last 997.2. The suspension is much more forgiving for uneven roads and the auto mode is perfect. Its loud but its musical to the ears.

So returning to a GT3 is voluntary on my part. I understand that cars are different and no car can do everything. So my GT3 is just going to be a weekend car and a track car.

you can use it as a DD but I cannot. I have more important things to worry about than worry about where to park, worrying about pigeon droppings, having a headache when the transmission becomes clunky, worrying about potholes.

I am excited to get my GT3 in March(its in the boat now in the Atlantic) and more so when I think that it would be together with my SCUD. I hope to drive it as often as possible but am not so excited to drive it to and from work.
I too have owned a 997.1 C2S with PASM and the ride and sound level was much softer and not as loud as the my cousins 16M . In fact, the 16M is much louder and more harsh riding than my 991 Gt3. I can actually enjoy music in my gt3 even with the crappy factory stereo.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:12 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive mine on PCH thru Malibu and cyns as a DD, not ideal but it works for me

Quick Reply: GT3 does not equal DD