Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 does not equal DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:31 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, now I REALLY can pipe in...having just received it this morning and driven 75 miles...this is SOOOO a DD car it's not even funny. For me the PERFECT balance between sport and comfort. Just blown away how accessible this car really is...and that power is to DIE for!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 AM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have any idea why the GT3 in Standard Auto allows its self to Lug in traffic the way it does. Other porsches don't behave this way!

Would love a technical explanation if anyone knows.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ was wondering the same myself.

I would assume it is for fuel consumption purposes. 99% of the time I drive in manual mode as I feel the "auto" programming is far to "green" and with the Sport button pressed in "auto" mode , it holds gears way too long for general street use. I know the Sport setting is programmed for track use so I understand that.

No issues with me though, just slide it over into manual and away I go. I absolutely love this car and I am also taken back by how "street" user friendly it is for having so much capability on the track. Just amazing!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by nycjwi
Does anyone have any idea why the GT3 in Standard Auto allows its self to Lug in traffic the way it does. Other porsches don't behave this way!

Would love a technical explanation if anyone knows.
Likely for fuel economy / emissions.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:05 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

My 11 GTS was the same in auto. I put it in Sport which is not the same as Sport in the 991 GT3. It would have been nice to have had 3 modes in the 991 GT3. I've only driven the new car for the first 2 blocks from the dealer in auto. The rest has been in maual.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:12 AM
jwalton
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

This discussion reminds me of the discussions taking place when the 996 GT3 came out. A lot of people ordered them having never driven them. When they got them they complained about how harsh they were and how raw they were and how they were not very user friendly in traffic and around town. Many traded them in on softer 911 versions like Turbos. Now ten years later the car is loved for all the reasons it was originally shunned. Its a race car for the street people. Jon in Delaware.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalton
This discussion reminds me of the discussions taking place when the 996 GT3 came out. A lot of people ordered them having never driven them. When they got them they complained about how harsh they were and how raw they were and how they were not very user friendly in traffic and around town. Many traded them in on softer 911 versions like Turbos. Now ten years later the car is loved for all the reasons it was originally shunned. Its a race car for the street people. Jon in Delaware.
Agreed, many whining about not be able to use it as a DD, need get their estrogen levels checked, or switch to a softer car. I drive mine every day, everywhere I go and while of course its not a smooth as a luxury sports car, it's pretty damn smooth and certainly easy to live with daily, not to mention a true pleasure.

For the people who bought this car, knowing you were going to be in bumper to bumper traffic, well that's on you. Common sense, no high performance semi track car like this is going to do well in bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^ Ha Ha Ha ha, "estrogen levels". Ha ha ha

That's funny. Not to get off topic but that is why I like the 996 GT3 so much. It's rawness and ability to deliver a pure, non-technology tinted driving experience.

That's probably why I think the 991 GT3 is such a good DD as I am comparing it to my DD 996 GT3 experiences.

Wait I minute , am I going soft???? Maybe I should check my estrogen levels????
Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Originally Posted by Rovman
^^^ Ha Ha Ha ha, "estrogen levels". Ha ha ha

That's funny. Not to get off topic but that is why I like the 996 GT3 so much. It's rawness and ability to deliver a pure, non-technology tinted driving experience.

That's probably why I think the 991 GT3 is such a good DD as I am comparing it to my DD 996 GT3 experiences.

Wait I minute , am I going soft???? Maybe I should check my estrogen levels????
You're going to want to have both your testosterone and estradiol ratio checked!

But in all seriousness, I wonder if people are purchasing the wrong vehicle when I see complaints and it goes both ways. Buy a soft/luxury sports car and there's no rawness, driver involvement, I got board. Buy a more track ready car and we here, car is too rough, stiff, not a good commuter in traffic, seriously WTF!

I get we want it all but there's times were being realistic needs to come into the equation. For what the GT3 can do on the track, its incredible how easy it is to live with as DD.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:48 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Okay, now I REALLY can pipe in...having just received it this morning and driven 75 miles...this is SOOOO a DD car it's not even funny. For me the PERFECT balance between sport and comfort. Just blown away how accessible this car really is...and that power is to DIE for!
Agreed. The GT3 is so comfortable I could drive it all day. The ride is firm but still nice and the engine sounds fierce above 4k rpm but under that sounds aggressive but reserved. I like my music and even with the relatively crappy sound plus stereo I can still enjoy tunes and the engine note at the same time. In a Ferrari 16M or Scuderia you are not listening to the stereo or even carrying on a normal conversation!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 02:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Just out of curiosity, for those who do not think that the 991 GT3 is a good daily driver, what other car (or cars) would you consider to be a (better) daily driver that also has comparable performance capabilities?
Old 02-06-2015, 03:05 PM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Agreed, many whining about not be able to use it as a DD, need get their estrogen levels checked, or switch to a softer car. I drive mine every day, everywhere I go and while of course its not a smooth as a luxury sports car, it's pretty damn smooth and certainly easy to live with daily, not to mention a true pleasure.

For the people who bought this car, knowing you were going to be in bumper to bumper traffic, well that's on you. Common sense, no high performance semi track car like this is going to do well in bumper to bumper traffic.
Nobody is whining about this car not being a DD, well maybe one or two, I started this thread because people were commenting on what a great DD this car is and I think it sends the wrong impression to perspective buyers. My point is that this car is not tuned to drive in traffic (to me that is the definition of a DD) unless you want to be totally focused on the driving at all times which is not what most people use their DD for. When I drive the car in automatic (not sport), in traffic and it is lugging all over the place that is not because Porsche is trying to be fuel efficient, its because the car is not meant to be driven that way IMHO!

My scud and now my GT3 are my two favorite cars and I bought them knowing that for me they would not be my DD.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Nobody is whining about this car not being a DD, well maybe one or two, I started this thread because people were commenting on what a great DD this car is and I think it sends the wrong impression to perspective buyers. My point is that this car is not tuned to drive in traffic (to me that is the definition of a DD) unless you want to be totally focused on the driving at all times which is not what most people use their DD for. When I drive the car in automatic (not sport), in traffic and it is lugging all over the place that is not because Porsche is trying to be fuel efficient, its because the car is not meant to be driven that way IMHO!

My scud and now my GT3 are my two favorite cars and I bought them knowing that for me they would not be my DD.
Fair comments, I think. Although the car may be more civilized than some for daily use, I wouldn't want to use it that way. Too frustrating and definitely not what it was designed for. Certainly no non-enthusiast driver would consider it a reasonable DD.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Fair point. Like I said earlier, DD is defined differently depending on where one lives. If you're dealing with bumper to bumper traffic every day, of course a track car like the GT3 isn't going to make a good daily driver. If you live in a less congested part of the country, HELL yes the GT3 is a stunning DD, like it is for me.

If anyone is foolish enough to think the GT3 would do well in bumper to bumper traffic, they get what they deserve.

Regarding the auto in traffic/low speeds, you are absolutely right, it's drive much smoother in manual using the paddles. When up to speed, the auto is smooth but other stop and go, it's not good at all.

If the Gt3 was great in traffic, it largely wouldn't be what it is and lose what makes it so special, atleast IMO.

Congrats on the scud, always been a huge fan, look forward to owning one in the near future.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Porsche should release a software update to fix the auto mode lugging at low speeds. No excuse to leave it crappy if it can be improved. Many folks complain about it.

Originally Posted by Gt3Fan
Fair point. Like I said earlier, DD is defined differently depending on where one lives. If you're dealing with bumper to bumper traffic every day, of course a track car like the GT3 isn't going to make a good daily driver. If you live in a less congested part of the country, HELL yes the GT3 is a stunning DD, like it is for me.

If anyone is foolish enough to think the GT3 would do well in bumper to bumper traffic, they get what they deserve.

Regarding the auto in traffic/low speeds, you are absolutely right, it's drive much smoother in manual using the paddles. When up to speed, the auto is smooth but other stop and go, it's not good at all.

If the Gt3 was great in traffic, it largely wouldn't be what it is and lose what makes it so special, atleast IMO.

Congrats on the scud, always been a huge fan, look forward to owning one in the near future.

Quick Reply: GT3 does not equal DD