Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 does not equal DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Goofnik
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have a Cayman GTS and am probably going to "trade up" to the just announced GT4. Although this isn't a 911, the reality is the questions I have are best answered by GT3 owners, hence why I'm posting here. I will have to DD the GT4 for probably 6 to 7 years. Not much (I mostly rely on mass transit and remote work), but when the need arises it is the car I own. Afterwards it should be relegated to strictly a toy that I keep until I'm dead.

With that out of the way...

1. For those without a front-axle lift, how has that experience been?
My Cayman GTS (with the Sport Suspension) is 10mm higher than the GT4. The GT4 seems on par with 997 and 991 GT3s in terms of ground clearance. I've not had any issues scraping the front of the GTS, though I do hear the spoilers in front of the front wheels barely scrape as they deflect a wee bit. I realize that 10mm is going to matter in these scenarios and will have to adjust my habits accordingly. As a result, how has it been, both typically, and in your worst case? Are we looking at exhaust scraping, and constant destruction of brake cooling ducts? Will keeping thick, heavy duty rubber mats in the frunk "just in case" be as prudent a move as I expect it to be?

I hear that the OEM front splitters are cheap from Porsche (~100-$150), and that aftermarket splitters can be both more durable and cheaper. I'm considering them to be a "wear part" and expect to replace it often enough (probably annually). Does this reconcile with your experience?

2. Suspension wear. What have you been changing, at what intervals, and what costs?
There's a lot more metal on metal, and bits are going to be pricier. I'm aware of this, so my maintenance budget needs to increase accordingly. I'm fine with this, as long-term maintenance of the 3.8L in the GT4 shouldn't be anything exceptional (should be in-line with the Carrera S). Yet, what can I expect (specifics would be much appreciated)? Big thanks in advance for the responses.

3. For those that DD, how has comfort been?
This is my least concern. My Cayman GTS with the Sport Suspension is far and away the most comfortable car I've owned. I have no issues with it. Many years ago I owned and daily drove a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR when it wasn't at the track. It is probably without question the least comfortable car I've owned, but I never had an issue with it. I thought it was just fine.

I realize there's a lot more metal-on-metal in the GT3 and GT4. Porsche's suspension tuning also tends to be some of the best. Am I horribly wrong and will my world end, or will I be fine as I think I will? I'm still very much on the young side, and I don't expect the carbon fiber buckets to be a problem either.

Again, big thanks in advance for all the replies. It's very much appreciated as I'm probably getting my deposit in this weekend.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goofnik
I have a Cayman GTS and am probably going to "trade up" to the just announced GT4. .
Delete my comment. Can't help GT4 prospects as GT3 is a completely different car.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:49 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

I could easily manage my 997.1 GT3 as a DD, and although I haven't yet taken delivery of my 991 GT3, I cannot imagine why it would not be at least as good.

NO car is fun to drive stop-and-go, so that's irrelevant to the 991 GT3.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:49 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WernerE
I could easily manage my 997.1 GT3 as a DD, and although I haven't yet taken delivery of my 991 GT3, I cannot imagine why it would not be at least as good.

NO car is fun to drive stop-and-go, so that's irrelevant to the 991 GT3.
Bingo--well said
Old 02-04-2015, 11:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,742 Likes on 4,765 Posts

I thoroughly enjoy this car.

And enjoy every single moment I am in it. Be it carving up twisties, exceeding the speed limit on a back country straighaway, or sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic stuck behind some cement truck.

It's all good. Just being in this car makes me feel a little bit more special.

I simply cannot imagine owning this car and driving something else, knowing that this -- this GT3 of all things -- is sitting in the garage. Idle.

But, again, that's just me. YMMV.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:52 PM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

2. Suspension wear. What have you been changing, at what intervals, and what costs?

Let me offer a couple of thoughts.

Ref 2. Nothing changed and I would expect that any 991 GT3 owners will be in the same bucket. If you're asking about prior generations, just keep in mind that the suspension will be very different...

Ref 3. Comfort is great. Much superior to my 997. It's firm but not harsh and in fact, it soaks-up bumps smoother than my 5er. It feels more progressive on impact and more controlled on rebound and it rarely bottoms out.

Moreover, the car is such a delight to drive. For me, this is a significant part of 'comfort'. Call it mental comfort if you will...
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I thoroughly enjoy this car.

And enjoy every single moment I am in it. Be it carving up twisties, exceeding the speed limit on a back country straighaway, or sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic stuck behind some cement truck.

It's all good. Just being in this car makes me feel a little bit more special.

I simply cannot imagine owning this car and driving something else, knowing that this -- this GT3 of all things -- is sitting in the garage. Idle.

But, again, that's just me. YMMV.
But when you don't drive it everywhere, there is such a sense of occasion and drama when you do. Part of the fun.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez, and I wondered why car makers made such softy cars these days....I want to puke reading some of the comments on this thread .
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Awesome dd...5k in 3 months...love it
Old 02-05-2015, 12:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,742 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
But when you don't drive it everywhere, there is such a sense of occasion and drama when you do. Part of the fun.
Not disagreeing, but I (still) get a sense of occasion and drama every time I fire her up just to drive to pick up some groceries.

People will disagree about this, but for me, even sitting in traffic is enjoyable in this car. At least vis-a-vis the alternative, such as driving another car like a Toyota Camry or something, or even something a bit more engaging like an M4 or a 981.

Carpe Diem, I say. But, again, that's just me.

No right or wrong about this.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:11 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a Cayman GTS and am probably going to "trade up" to the just announced GT4. Although this isn't a 911, the reality is the questions I have are best answered by GT3 owners, hence why I'm posting here. I will have to DD the GT4 for probably 6 to 7 years. Not much (I mostly rely on mass transit and remote work), but when the need arises it is the car I own. Afterwards it should be relegated to strictly a toy that I keep until I'm dead.

With that out of the way...

1. For those without a front-axle lift, how has that experience been?
My Cayman GTS (with the Sport Suspension) is 10mm higher than the GT4. The GT4 seems on par with 997 and 991 GT3s in terms of ground clearance. I've not had any issues scraping the front of the GTS, though I do hear the spoilers in front of the front wheels barely scrape as they deflect a wee bit. I realize that 10mm is going to matter in these scenarios and will have to adjust my habits accordingly. As a result, how has it been, both typically, and in your worst case? Are we looking at exhaust scraping, and constant destruction of brake cooling ducts? Will keeping thick, heavy duty rubber mats in the frunk "just in case" be as prudent a move as I expect it to be?

I hear that the OEM front splitters are cheap from Porsche (~100-$150), and that aftermarket splitters can be both more durable and cheaper. I'm considering them to be a "wear part" and expect to replace it often enough (probably annually). Does this reconcile with your experience?

There's a lot more metal on metal, and bits are going to be pricier. I'm aware of this, so my maintenance budget needs to increase accordingly. I'm fine with this, as long-term maintenance of the 3.8L in the GT4 shouldn't be anything exceptional (should be in-line with the Carrera S). Yet, what can I expect (specifics would be much appreciated)? Big thanks in advance for the responses.

This is my least concern. My Cayman GTS with the Sport Suspension is far and away the most comfortable car I've owned. I have no issues with it. Many years ago I owned and daily drove a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII MR when it wasn't at the track. It is probably without question the least comfortable car I've owned, but I never had an issue with it. I thought it was just fine.

I realize there's a lot more metal-on-metal in the GT3 and GT4. Porsche's suspension tuning also tends to be some of the best. Am I horribly wrong and will my world end, or will I be fine as I think I will? I'm still very much on the young side, and I don't expect the carbon fiber buckets to be a problem either.

Again, big thanks in advance for all the replies. It's very much appreciated as I'm probably getting my deposit in this weekend.
Even with a lift, there are times you scrape, where there are dips in the road where you're going too fast or it's not convenient to use the lift. The lift is there for those times you know you're going to scrape and can avoid by pressing a button. I'm glad I have it for entering and exiting my driveway but, it's not an absolutely essential option since you're going to scrape anyways. All the same, I'd order it again.

Anyone replacing suspension on a 2014 or 2015 GT3 is probably doing it because their tracking. And, I don't think there are many options due to the car being unavailable for so long during the stop sale. I'll probably never mess with the set up with the possible exception of Camber.

It's a fine daily driver, more comfortable than what I've been used to except it has no sound deadening in the wheel wells so expect to hear the pebbles and rocks clanging against the metal. That's easily resolved if it bothers you and you don't mind adding weight. I'll leave it as is. I'm going to add on the Sharkwerks exhaust next year that will make everything louder anyways so noise isn't really an issue. The GT4 will likely be the same.

Welcome and good luck.

Dan (finds your avatar amusing)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Of all the GT3 versions, the 991 is the best suited as a DD.
Personally, I can't think of a car I'd rather have.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
Of all the GT3 versions, the 991 is the best suited as a DD.
Personally, I can't think of a car I'd rather have.
Same here. I don't drive it daily, mostly due to not wanting to put unneeded miles on it, but miss driving it every day I'm not.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:17 PM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I daily drive mine in downtown Seattle. I don't travel far which is a detriment to the car. For me it is s blend of my 09 c4s with pdk and my 07 gt3. Terrible gridlock yesterday. Stop n go on a hill.
Drive 90% manual
5% PdK sport on and off ramps on fwys
Rest pdk auto cruising on fwys or gridlock traffic.
That's just me.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:09 PM
G55amg
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Darn it
Now I really want one

Quick Reply: GT3 does not equal DD