Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 does not equal DD

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a much better DD than my 997.1 gt3. Stop n go with that heavier clutch pedal gets old really fast. And on hills more stressful. At least you have a real parking brake with a handle to practice. I use the paddle neutral a lot in stop n go traffic and approaching speed bumps with lift on.
My 2009 c4s with PDK was better/easier as a DD but doesn't have that snarl as does this 991 gt3.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:17 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Way better than the .2, but yes it will buck and shuck at low speeds. I experimented by pulling both paddles and it seems to help a lot allowing it to coast more often, and never use auto so can't say how that is.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

I had my car in auto for the first two blocks leaving the dealership. I've had it in manual since then and see no use for auto. Well, maybe if I get stuck in traffic.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:12 PM
quickshift
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with PDK Sport Auto? At light throttle it shifts at 4500rpm, smooth downshifts when coasting to a stop, and no need for the radio listening to those beautiful sounds !!
Old 02-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Certainly a great DD, just depends where you live. Mine is my DD and is perfect but if I was stuck in traffic daily, of course it wouldn't be good in that scenario. But then again, if I lived in high traffic area's with bumper to bumper traffic, I wouldn't have thought to use the GT3 as my DD. Just depends where you live.

Regardless, it's not going to be as smooth as a TT as a DD.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:33 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

[QUOTE=monkiboy48;12008638]Interesting take on this. I personally love it! I have never driven in auto mode before. Maybe using the paddles will help more? The differences that irritate you is what makes the car feel so special to me.

The biggest difference compared to the M3's DCT is that the PDK-S doesn't coast at all. In my M3, the DCT would coast once you give the car some gas from a standstill. Does the scuderia coast?[/QUOTE

Yes, I noticed that especially when the car is cold, I have to put it in manual, even if it is in traffic. The engine and transmission just lugs and stutters. I normally just leave it in manual and drive it gently a bit until it is warm. That's why I prefer manuals. The double clutch cars always try to be three gears higher than it should be, regardless of engine temperature and conditions.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:42 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

" GT3 does not equal DD"
"Today I took the car out in mild traffic and came to the conclusion that this car is not intended to be a Daily Driver. When the car is in Automatic, non Sport mode and you are driving in city traffic it really does not sound happy. So much clunking and popping etc. I know it is normal because i have experienced it in other 991 gt3s."

NYCJWI is absolutely correct, but the fault is not with the car, it is its effect on the driver!
Going on 8,000 Miles, I find the car is great as a Daily Driver. It's me that is the problem. It takes enormous effort to suppress the Houligan inside that it awakes. The car gets into my brain cells urging me
to do things normally reserved for the track. Have to constantly remind it "WE ARE NOT ON A TRACK" to
keep my adrenalin levels down. Funny I had no problems like that with any of my previous cars.
I think PAG must inject some Pixie Dust into the primer before the paint goes on which has this effect on drivers. Should come with a high blood pressure warning. Weird!!! Certainly not a CASUAL DD. ROTFL
Old 02-03-2015, 01:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,771 Likes on 4,772 Posts

My only issue with the GT3 as a DD, is the drama.

There's the great drama of firing her up and hearing that engine come to life.

There's the drama of the cold start and the exhaust tone that comes with it.

There's the drama of screaming to 7000, then 8000, then 9000 rpm in 1st gear just for heck of it.

Then there's the drama of the attention it gets. Like random pedestrians giving you the thumbs up, or some father of two in a minivan trying to race you at a stoplight, or the drama of getting in your car while there are people gawking at it in a parking garage.

Life is difficult. It gets more difficult when you have to DD a GT3.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 02-03-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it as a DD for most/all of the above reasons. My only *complaint* is that the minimal clearance makes it difficult/impossible to drive when we're getting snow. When the streets are plowed, however...
Old 02-03-2015, 02:20 PM
991RDC
Instructor

This car is a great DD for me. I never use auto mode, always in manual and really enjoy using the paddles. I have other choices of vehicles to use, but they just feels so boring with the everyday commute. I guess it just depends on what kind of driving experience and feel you're looking for.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:09 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

It really depends on what you like. For me when stuck in traffic the clunky pdk and mechanical clanking noises prevent me from getting bored out of my wits, even put a smile on my face.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think it cameos as a daily driver quite well. Sure it's no S-class Mercedes.

For the last 4 weeks of ownership, I have commuted between two states each week and have traversed Houston traffic on a daily basis in the car. No issues what so ever.

This week I am driving the car back and forth to work in houston traffic. This Thursday afternoon I will be headed to MSRH for an afternoon of lapping at the track. Than continue its DD duties for the remainder of the week. Once the work week is done, drive back to Lafayette, La. where I live.

IMO, this is one helluva car that can handle all the aforementioned missions thrown at it and take it all with a smile. No complaints here.....
Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Rovman
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I think it cameos as a daily driver quite well. Sure it's no S-class Mercedes.

For the last 4 weeks of ownership, I have commuted between two states each week and have traversed Houston traffic on a daily basis in the car. No issues what so ever.

This week I am driving the car back and forth to work in houston traffic. This Thursday afternoon I will be headed to MSRH for an afternoon of lapping at the track. Than continue its DD duties for the remainder of the week. Once the work week is done, drive back to Lafayette, La. where I live.

IMO, this is one helluva car that can handle all the aforementioned missions thrown at it and take it all with a smile. No complaints here.....
YOU know how to maximize the value of the GT3 for sure--my hero
Old 02-03-2015, 05:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Completely agree with OP. Can't imagine DD in this car. Normal auto mode is ludicrous how it shifts into 7th gear at low speed, bogging engine, in PDK sport drive, you'll be in 1st gear at 5k in traffic. It's loud, it's firm, lacks visibility out etc. Absolutely love it. But not as DD. Purely personal of course
Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 PM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tons of great input here! Bottom line is it works for some but not others. I really opened this thread because i have seen quite a few people recommending this as a DD but i think that needs to come with a few caveats!

At the end of the day any car could be a DD it just depends how involved you want to be as a driver sitting in traffic, making calls etc. while taming the beast that this amazing car is.

I think my other point was really that on many levels the mechanics of the car don't enjoy dealing with traffic on a day to day basis. this car is really meant to be rolling at high rpms on a track!

always appreciate all the enthusiasm and passion of everyone in this forum!

Quick Reply: GT3 does not equal DD