10k over MSRP from Porsche Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 04:40 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
WOW--that's not bueno at ALL.

It's one thing for the dealers that outright let you know you'll need to bring the KY with you, but agreeing to MSRP, then slipping in $10k markup when you get there...
Yeah, my buddy is pretty livid right now.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Wow, I hope he walked. And I hope he rips them a new one on every review site and forum he can find.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Wanted to throw out there how my good buddy was treated today by Walter's Porsche in Riverside. They have a Silver 991 GT3 with buckets. He called them and made a deal for MSRP only to have them turn around and try to slip by an extra $10k markup they they never discussed. Dealership games and slimey behavior at it's finest...
Old 02-05-2015, 05:28 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had the complete opposite experience with them
Old 02-05-2015, 05:47 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, we hear that a lot; how experiences seem to vary widely at a number of dealers. I wonder if it is based on past purchases vs a single buy, or just timing and demand on a given vehicle. I hope things aren't dependent upon the salesman who picks up the phone etc.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:58 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

In my experience where I was asked by a dealer for $20k to be placed at #1 for gt4, SA sounded apologetic and mentioned that "the owner of the dealership" made the decision for this car. I believe that, and assume it's how this operates most times. I can't imagine the opposite happening where the owner of a dealer lets his employees play with prices with all the implications that would entail. It's not the sales guys doing this.. They have a tough tough job.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:36 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wanted to throw out there how my good buddy was treated today by Walter's Porsche in Riverside. They have a Silver 991 GT3 with buckets. He called them and made a deal for MSRP only to have them turn around and try to slip by an extra $10k markup they they never discussed. Dealership games and slimey behavior at it's finest...
Have your friend open a thread and then forward the thread to the owner and gm of walters. Lets see what happen after they see all these future gt3 owners and their rich friends wife will buy macan and cayenne from other dealers...

Worth a try. These dealers practices are so common...I hope its the SA that decided it on his own...
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by straight-road
I hope its the SA that decided it on his own...
SA's don't decide anything without approval.

I'm actually surprised as this dealer has a decent reputation (or did). Funny because so many CA dealers are just as pathetic when it comes to over MSRP (and SoCal is the golden child of this practice).
Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Joe, I have to tell you, between the Bandit201 nonsense and now this story you've shared, I'm crossing Walter's off the list of dealerships I'll buy from. As you say, very slimy.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:00 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If (and perhaps a big if) these MSRP + cars are truly selling at their listing prices, then we may have actually reached a point in today's market where Market Value > MSRP for the new 2015 cars. Not something future buyers are too happy about; and not something existing owners are too sad about.

Just a thought ...
Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Give names. Provide the dealer's name, not the dealership (Walter's of Riverside).

This obviously is bad bad business practice and reflects badly on the dealership, but because dealerships are made up of individual dealers, we need to know the person's name to make this useful.

As others have noted, they have had generally positive experiences with Walter's. So it's unfair to paint, with one broadstroke, that Walter's the entire dealership should be avoided. There are, I'm sure, some honest dealers there that should deserve consideration for those looking at buying a GT3, or any Porsche (new or used).

And, FYI, not affiliated with Walter's. Never been there, never done business with them. Just trying to be fair.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Bandit201
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, we sold every GT3 at window except one that went out of state. I was on target with the silver car being sold at window as the others have. Management had a meeting and thought that with the few remaining cars left that they should maximize the profit as there are not any more. When I was informed about the price adjustment I called the client immediately and told him I am NOT a fan of overage on an MSRP. I was very apologetic as I know Porsche relationships are like a marriage. Very fragile. In all of my years with Porsche I have only had a few unhappy clients but not because of my doing. I have a lot of clients on Rennlist that would come to my defense. Walter's Porsche is hell bent on the happiness of the client. I know I am. I am very saddened by this. I truly am. I am a true Porsche enthusiast that breaths the brand and am very happy I have changed many peoples lives in a wonderfully positive way. Rennlist has always been where I escape to when the kids are sleeping. I was blunt and straight to the point with the client. And I made it VERY clear that I understood his feelings. And I do. I have been bothered by it all day. I will continue to treat all of my current and future clients like family. That is what they are to me. Ultimately it is my fault. And I take the blame.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit201
Guys, we sold every GT3 at window except one that went out of state. I was on target with the silver car being sold at window as the others have. Management had a meeting and thought that with the few remaining cars left that they should maximize the profit as there are not any more. When I was informed about the price adjustment I called the client immediately and told him I am NOT a fan of overage on an MSRP. I was very apologetic as I know Porsche relationships are like a marriage. Very fragile. In all of my years with Porsche I have only had a few unhappy clients but not because of my doing. I have a lot of clients on Rennlist that would come to my defense. Walter's Porsche is hell bent on the happiness of the client. I know I am. I am very saddened by this. I truly am. I am a true Porsche enthusiast that breaths the brand and am very happy I have changed many peoples lives in a wonderfully positive way. Rennlist has always been where I escape to when the kids are sleeping. I was blunt and straight to the point with the client. And I made it VERY clear that I understood his feelings. And I do. I have been bothered by it all day. I will continue to treat all of my current and future clients like family. That is what they are to me. Ultimately it is my fault. And I take the blame.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:33 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tell your management how shortsighted they are and how big the mistake they just made. In fact they must have known what they were doing, given that they must have been seasoned enough to get to the management position. They probably were thinking that it was just one guy they screwed. What they didnt know was how the owners of this gt3 is rather unified by rennlist for the previous engine issue and particularly how we are disgusted by dealer charging over msrp. Also have your management do market analysis better because they are losing customers.

Let your boss know that i wont shop at your dealership for potental 2 macans with one being turbo.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Give names. Provide the dealer's name, not the dealership (Walter's of Riverside).
I'm confused. Didn't I provide the dealer's name? Walter's of Riverside? Or do you mean the SA, Scott?

If this is true, then it doesn't change the fact that Walter's is trying to gouge people. I'm sure they'll find a shmuck to pay it, but now the dealership is marked on rennlist as a dealership that plays games. Short term gain for long term loss of reputation.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:47 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Punching cars starts the clock on the warranty. Buyer beware.
$7000 below MSRP is well worth one less month of warranty coverage

Last edited by FlatSix911; 02-05-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: 10k over MSRP from Porsche Dealer