Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10k over MSRP from Porsche Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

There is nothing on this planet I'm willing to pay over MSRP for. In fact, I once left a Porsche dealership when they wouldn't budge at all from MSRP. More power to them if they can land a sucker. I think there is one born every minute after all. . .
Old 02-03-2015, 07:43 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
Dont know where you get that authority from when speaking about my car which is a gt3.. Check my previous posts before you make any assumption.
Sorry. Didn't know I needed "authority" to simply make a claim/statement as such.
But now it makes sense. You bought a MY 14 with a new engine. Your claim would have never gotten you a MY 15 car.

And it's still to be determined what "way below" msrp is. It doesn't make sense that any dealer would sell way below msrp unless it was one of the 20 used units that were denied back from the original owners.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:21 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My GT3 was ordered through Rusnak and I'm paying MSRP. One of my friends also ordered his GT3 from them and paid MSRP.

I think if you sit down with them and offer MSRP for this car, there's a high chance they'll take it. This is the white one with sport buckets and ceramic brakes that they got in December and wanted $20k over sticker for. I sat in it, but decided just to stick with my order...
Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by GT TREE

It doesn't make sense that any dealer would sell way below msrp unless it was one of the 20 used units that were denied back from the original owners.
According to a dealer source who wanted to bid on one of them, even those auctioned cars you mention sold at or above, not invoice, but MSRP! As you point out, it would be a very rare dealer in the current market who would sell much below MSRP.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:36 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
According to a dealer source who wanted to bid on one of them, even those auctioned cars you mention sold at or above, not invoice, but MSRP! As you point out, it would be a very rare dealer in the current market who would sell much below MSRP.
Bingo
Old 02-04-2015, 01:37 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience with Rusnak Pasadena has been nothing but first rate. I'd never owned a Porsche when I first talked to Jason there in January of 2014. I was told their 2014 list was filled but they'd put me on the 2015 list at MSRP for a refundable $5000 deposit. I put down the deposit at that time and then the stop sale hit. After it was lifted I got a call for my 2015 allocation at the end of August...and my car arrived in December. One of the best car buying experiences I've had.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:57 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Either you are a troll or simply you are a very close-minded individual. It is your authoritative tone of making assumption about other people that is not welcomed.

My car's built date was 09/2014, not those 20 buy back car, and it was a new one. I certainly hope you did not have to pay so much more than MSRP to get yours. Right now, there are a few of 2015 being sold at MSRP.

For my final price of $7000 below MSRP, it was a result of how I presented myself, and how to haggle prices taking advantage of the unique situation of the timing of this car being available (the buyer bailed out last minute and the dealer was a lot more desperate than I am).

In a respectful way I first made sure they knew this would just be another toy to me, and I didn't need it (this is the key). Then when I found out the card has been punched already in the middle of the process after they agreed to drop 2000 below MSRP, I was about to get up from the table. Through some mature and lightheartedness back and forth, the price was dropped further to $5000. At the end of the day, I wanted to take the 2015 at MSRP, and wanted to go home and sleep on it. Viola, $7000 below MSRP. In fact, the whole dealership was astonished that I was able to strike the deal like that. 35 miles at car delivery, and I added to 10 to it during test drive.

I am not saying people should expect similar results or the car is worth $7000 below MSRP. I change cars every 2 years, and I can say I am pretty finessed in this kind of thing. Another story, believe it or not, my mom purchased a car without getting me involved, and she got screwed big time. I made a phone call to the GM, and he mailed us back a $1000 check after I told him I would consider purchasing the new NSX from someone else if they didn't act up. Key here was I never demand anything on the surface. Those who have been in the dealership business long enough would know what kind of customer you are based on how you present yourself.

In fact, my last car, audi tt-rs, with only 1000 of them in US, I ordered it with the price of only $1500 above invoice when 5k to 10k mark up was the "norm". My worst record was buying GTR from another state , 500 below MSRP, after it came out for just 2 months.

All in all, no one needs to prove anything to anyone in the world of internet where one can simply hide behind the keyboard and type anything of imagination. But when your imagination , GT Tree, is based on assumption of other people's intent to misconstrue or lie about something which you absolutely have no knowledge of, it says too much about you and the way you handle new information that does not fit your ears or mental framework.

And seriously for who and where we are that allows us to afford this car as a toy, it escapes me completely that someone would speculate I am making stuff up as if I need some kind of recognition from a virtual world. If someone told me the same story, I would be like " you are such a lucky bastard, congrats!"

My point of sharing the info is simply to encourage people not to buy car over MSRP. I highly doubt I would be able to get the car today at the same price again. But the less people pay over MSRP, the better it will be for all of us in the future. Patience and techniques are virtues of gold.

Now I will stop feeding the troll(s). Thank you.
Well done! What's your cut for negotiating my car purchases for me?

In al seriousness, what do you mean by "learning the card was punched"?
Old 02-04-2015, 02:28 AM
3point9liters
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this trick is a good thing to know....

Often when it comes to high end cars, the dealers want to meet the sale quota for manufacturer bonus and allocation. They then artificially punch the card, i.e. the car is listed as sold in their internal system, even though the car has not been delivered to the customer and has not been registered with DMV. I feel that this "punching" happen more often at the end of the year. Also, if the dealer needs to reach certain quota of the month, but the car cannot be delivered until next month, this would be one way the dealer can meet the quota of the interested month artificially. The risky part is that if the car is already punched, but the buyer bails out at the last minute (as we are legally allowed to), as in my case, the car's warranty would have already begun inside the manufacturer system. And the next customer would have lost the time between the car was punched and the real delivery.

This would not matter to me because it is only a matter of a month plus the extended warranty of 1 year anyway. Also they should have told me earlier on about the car being punched as well... I used that to my advantage and I ended up with a new gt3, albeit 35 miles, for $7000 less. But having said that, you would like to keep a good face and relationship, so I purchased the tire package from them without negotiating much. (these things are often 100% mark up)

My suggestion is that when shopping for high end cars, do ask about if the car has been punched yet. You would be surprised. Use that to your advantage. Sometimes it really does not matter if you are leasing the car anyway. Your end of lease likely will be before the warranty is over, even taking the account of the one month lost.

In conclusion, I honestly surmise that my dealer was asking way too much mark up to other people. Because all these people said no to the mark up, the dealer became desperate when I showed up. So imagine when we all collectively say no to mark up, what would happen? only we will benefit when .2 gt3 comes out. If one out of 5 people pays mark up, the dealer will likely insist mark up for the next 4 people. If the first 4 people say no, the 5th one will very likely get the car at MSRP.

disclaimer: I do not work for a car dealership, so my understanding can be off. hopefully some dealers can shed more light into this "punch" situation.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:11 AM
3point9liters
Instructor

Often when it comes to high end cars, the dealers want to meet the sale quota for manufacturer bonus and allocation. They then artificially punch the card, i.e. the car is listed as sold in their internal system, even though the car has not been delivered to the customer and has not been registered with DMV. I feel that this "punching" happen more often at the end of the year. Also, if the dealer needs to reach certain quota of the month, but the car cannot be delivered until next month, this would be one way the dealer can meet the quota of the interested month artificially. The risky part is that if the car is already punched, but the buyer bails out at the last minute (as we are legally allowed to), as in my case, the car's warranty would have already begun inside the manufacturer system. And the next customer would have lost the time between the car was punched and the real delivery.

This would not matter to me because it is only a matter of a month plus the extended warranty of 1 year anyway. Also they should have told me earlier on about the car being punched as well... I use that to my advantage and I ended up with a new gt3, albeit 35 miles, for $7000 less. But having said that, you would like to keep a good face and relationship, so I purchased the tire package from them without negotiating much. (these things are often 100% mark up)

My suggestion is that when shopping for high end cars, do ask about if the car has been punched yet. You would be surprised. Use that to your advantage. Sometimes it really does not matter if you are leasing the car anyway. You end of lease likely will be before the warranty is over, even taking the account of the one month lost.

In conclusion, I honestly surmise that my dealer was asking way too much mark up to other people. Because all these people said no to the mark up, the dealer became desperate when I showed up. So imagine when we all collectively say no to mark up, what would happen? only we will benefit when .2 gt3 comes out. If one out of 5 people pays mark up, the dealer will likely insist mark up for the next 4 people. If the first 4 people say no, the 5th one will very likely get the car at MSRP.

disclaimer: I do not work for a car dealership, so my understanding can be off. hopefully some dealer can shed more light into this "punch" situation.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:18 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Great information for negotiation with a dealer.
I just purchased a Lexus for my wife at $7,000 below MSRP using this technique on a car that was punched last month.

This would not matter to me because it is only a matter of a month plus the extended warranty of 1 year anyway. Also they should have told me earlier on about the car being punched as well... I used that to my advantage and I ended up with a new gt3, albeit 35 miles, for $7000 less. But having said that, you would like to keep a good face and relationship, so I purchased the tire package from them without negotiating much. (these things are often 100% mark up)

My suggestion is that when shopping for high end cars, do ask about if the car has been punched yet. You would be surprised. Use that to your advantage. Sometimes it really does not matter if you are leasing the car anyway. Your end of lease likely will be before the warranty is over, even taking the account of the one month lost.

disclaimer: I do not work for a car dealership, so my understanding can be off. hopefully some dealers can shed more light into this "punch" situation.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:29 AM
Gotboost?
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope this helps.
I'll share some insight with you. You are correct on the "punching card" part. It's called by different names by various manufacturers. It's called an RDR in my franchise. It's common practice for many franchises like MBZ and BMW to do this at month end. Having said that, most of these punches are lower end models that can be put into loaner service if it's not retailed in a reasonable amount of time. High end cars like the GT3 are not usually used to meet manufacturer objectives or quotas as you would call it. RDR'S can always be reversed if the customer ends up not taking delivery.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 AM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's true, normally done on units that they CANNOT sell. Punching cars is very common, but you see it normally done on high end cars that dealers have more incentive to mark sold, then sell as 'executive demo'. Bentley dealers do this all the time--why, because their cars do not sell like hot cakes. Also done on lower end cars to hit monthly numbers, because dealers know they can probably sell in the next 30 days, so limited exposure.

If a dealer punched a GT3, that would be very strange, as there is no need to do that--they sell.

However ANY deal is about timing. I lucked out on my GT3 with being able to negotiate the last day of the year, because someone backed out of GT3, and dealer had it sold, so they HAD to sell that day. Again, all about timing.

Porsche dealers have 10%+ in their cars, so don't ever feel sorry for the dealer--they are making plenty at anywhere near MSRP, plus Porsche trunk money for unit spiffs.

Okay...back to GT3 talk.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Huncowboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
$180! What the heck are you getting loaded in it.
LOL. No. I mean the new RS will be around $180... at least that is what I have been reading online. Is that not correct?

Do some home work--you can grab a beautiful new GT3 for around $140k. Yes, they are few and far between at any price point, but don't give up as though you will never find one. Start smiling and dialing asking about their March deliveries. Don't pass up the optty to grab one
You are right. Right now I can't grab one because my existing lease is not up until the end of this year plus I am in the middle of buying a small business and I want to look at tax options, future cash flow, etc. Another toy is just not a priority at the moment. Sigh...

But I thought about it. I will probably just wait until my lease is up and look for an almost new one <5k miles at the end of 2015. I am sure there will be plenty for sale when some of you guys will jump on the RS.

The RS look amazing btw. But I need a DD and the GT3 is already a push I think the RS will be even more so.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:37 PM
3point9liters
Instructor

However ANY deal is about timing. I lucked out on my GT3 with being able to negotiate the last day of the year, because someone backed out of GT3, and dealer had it sold, so they HAD to sell that day. Again, all about timing.

Porsche dealers have 10%+ in their cars, so don't ever feel sorry for the dealer--they are making plenty at anywhere near MSRP, plus Porsche trunk money for unit spiffs.

Okay...back to GT3 talk.
Totally agree. That must have been my situation as well, now looking back. I did ask how come they cannot reverse the punching, the GM said Porsche does not allow reversal of punching... don't know its true as this is my first p-car.

anyway, back to enjoying the car.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:23 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
LOL. No. I mean the new RS will be around $180... at least that is what I have been reading online. Is that not correct?

I don't have any confirmed data to back this up, but I'm expecting the RS to be about $225k.

Further, I'm hearing mixed things about allocation, but I'm inclined to belive one source over another who told me that only 300 are coming to the United states, and at least 100 of those will be purchased by VIP's before the dealers even get the remainder allocated to them. That means 1 car per dealer.

Quick Reply: 10k over MSRP from Porsche Dealer