Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 vs Turbo s

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I've owned both. Both are amazing pieces of technology. Most owners will never scratch the surface of the performance potential of either vehicle.
One is a great autobahn cruiser. The other is a great modern sports car. Something for everyone. The one you consider 'better' will depend on what you want.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:29 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I've owned both and they are both great cars. The Turbo a better DD(all weather more comforts) but less raw/engaging. It also wears a little extra weight(4 wheel drive) and does not sound like the NA engines do with 9000 rpm. Pick your poison or pleasure - your choice to decide which is which
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 AM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

While I have not owned a Turbo I will equate it the the GTR (which I came from).....the Turbo gets boring after a while.....there is no better sound than an NA engine winding to 9K rpm's.....nothing
Old 02-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

^ Precisely the reason I have one now
Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
While I have not owned a Turbo I will equate it the the GTR (which I came from).....the Turbo gets boring after a while.....there is no better sound than an NA engine winding to 9K rpm's.....nothing
For what it's worth having owned Godzilla and having had an extensive test drive of the TT, I really don't feel like the two are that comparable.

From an engineering standpoint maybe, but not from a driving perspective.

Again, both are worthy cars in their own right, just different.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:08 PM
DucatiSPS
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Both fantastic in their own right as others have said but to me the difference between them can be summed up this way:

The TTS makes you feel like you're a better driver.

The GT3 makes you want to be a better driver.
i own both -- what he said ^^
Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Dan39
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rubbaman
Do you mean as a daily driver all year on stock tires in all conditions or on the track?
Because if you mean the first, I would agree.
Well in normal conditions, I wouldn't expect issues with either car. In adverse conditions, the GT3 is much more of a handful.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:59 PM
vic55
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 142 Posts

I owned a 991 Turbo S with mods (GIAC tune and Cargraphic exhaust) and own a 991 GT3 currently. I was asked this question on another forum so ill just cut and paste my ownership thoughts:

I am very happy with the car.... and yes I like it better than my Turbo S but Ill be clear that these are my thoughts and while I have owned and do own a lot of higher performance cars, other minds may differ. My reasoning is thru ownership and Ill always stand by that. I have not just driven the cars and test driven them; I have owned or own them.

The GT3 handles better, turns better, and truly allows more driver input with the rwd chassis. It is not faster to 60, although its the fastest rwd unit Ive had in this measurement. It is not faster to 150, although getting there is a more rewarding experience. The GT3 has its performance wins and losses against its more pricey brother and it lacks in certain luxury creature comforts as well. But there is something to be said not only about a car's performance objective numbers but it's subjective driver's experience.

Rarely have I found a car that matches up equally and this car is the one. An extreme example of performance vs lack of experience was my GTR. I was an early adopter (Jan 2009) and modded it by March- it was pulling 0-60 in the mid 2's and trapping over 130 miles per hour in the quarter, handling like no other, yet I just didnt have the best experience in the car. The performance vs my other cars was a 10 but the experience was around 7.5. Conversely the 458 Italian is an amazing performer, faster than the GT3, and it invovles me in all moments. Same goes for the GT3 but the GT3 is cheaper and more daily usable. Its the best daily expereince I've had and I use my perspectives, as mentioned, thru owning them. I dont know if the GT3 is for everyone as it lacks rear seats and a fantastic sound system (exhaust covers that LOL). But based on my needs and wants its the car that works best as a true raw driver with civility when needed to go to the mall, grocery store, cleaners, etc.
a pic of the now departed Turbo S:

I never tracked my Turbo S so I cant really articulate there vs the GT3.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
This, and 30-40 grand
Actually, what's interesting is that apparently the market for the TT and especially the TTS is really soft.

PAG overproduced both models and dealers are now stuck with 2014s that they cannot move, with a boatload of 2015s on their way, and the 991.2 iteration just around the corner.

If anyone were interested in getting into a TT/TTS, now would be a pretty good time to do it. I am hearing that dealers are discounting most TTS by a good 6-8%, with room to bargain. Knowing that around 10% brings you to dealer cost, some are willing to go even below that.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Dlff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driven both the GT3 & TTS in a track side by side in hot humid weather conditions with airconditioning on. First thing I noticed is the weight of the TTS when driving off. GT3 is simply more nimble & agile especially when taking corners. Secondly, is the noise the TTS is a GT / Grand Tourer with all the comfort creatures & electronic gizmos on board & the GT3 is a proper raw sport car. BTW, the TTS is really wide in the rear. I will not use neither as a DD. For week end fun car & having a blast to unwind after a long week I'll choose the GT3 in a heart beat. That's just me. Cheers mate!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:50 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
Ring time for 991 TT S is 7:28 vs 7:25 for gt3. Part of the difference is the tires. However, on an autocross or a tight road coarse, the gt3 would outperform the turbo even more (relatively bigger difference in time). They are both great cars, but very different. I have driven the 991 TT and 991 TT S quite a bit, but the gt3 is a very different experience.
Actual Ring Time for the Turbo S is 7:26 and the One Second difference in Time is
likely to be closed or surpassed if the Turbo S had the same track tires. IMHO, out of the box, and with comparably skilled drivers, the faster lap times would depend on the track. The GT3 would be faster in the corners and the TTS faster on the straights, so if the track had long straights and fewer corners the TTS would "win"
but on a track with shorter straights and more corners the GT3 would "win".
Both are VERY fast cars on any track.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:05 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Actual Ring Time for the Turbo S is 7:26 and the One Second difference in Time is
likely to be closed or surpassed if the Turbo S had the same track tires. IMHO, out of the box, and with comparably skilled drivers, the faster lap times would depend on the track. The GT3 would be faster in the corners and the TTS faster on the straights, so if the track had long straights and fewer corners the TTS would "win"
but on a track with shorter straights and more corners the GT3 would "win".
Both are VERY fast cars on any track.
This would make for an interesting analysis. With a higher corner speeds, how long do the straights need to be for the TT/TTS to "catchup".

Ryan
Old 02-02-2015, 03:28 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From strictly a street driving perspective, the "fun" of a TT/TTS cannot be really enjoyed on a daily basis. By the time you can enjoy the torque, you are way beyond the speed limits. Even with long freeway on ramps, you are well into 100 MPH in no time and with the utter calm of the engine and cabin, the only fun is that blast of torque knocking you into your seat. The GT3 is far more accessible fun on a daily basis. The noise, the revs, and the weight allow you to enjoy at lower speeds in combination of higher revs. Still, both cars are far too powerful for the street. This is my two cents from owning a 997TTS and driving 991T and comparing it to my 991 GT3.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:43 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I own both. I don't track in my cars. I also own a 458. If I had to sell one it would be the GT3. To me the on the street I like the TT better (mines a '14) smoother, more low end torque, a few more comforts and faster. I know its a lot cheaper but a GT3 doesn't have anything on a 458. YMMV
Old 02-02-2015, 04:08 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a heartbeat, the gt3 is for you. If not, then the turbo can effectively satisfy your luxury and gt needs. The speed of the turbo is greatly exaggerated in my personal experience. Drivers with much lesser cars have shown little respect to turbos on a track, which are mainly 0-100 kings, while 0-200 is another story. In the city it doesn't matter what u drive, just get a prius. If you really want to be in the better car, then learn and yearn to be the better driver as all these cars are very capable.

The 458 is more special than both but costs a tonne more. The attention a 458 attracts gets annoying soon enough unless you enjoy lots of looks, getting pics taken and interviewed often with the same old questions. The 911 with a wing is largely ignored so much better for daily use.

Quick Reply: GT3 vs Turbo s