Sponsored by:

PSC2 vs Trofeo R speed difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:59 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
Anyone with experience using tire pyrometer to optimize pressures?
This is a good guide to get started: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf

Really applies to any set of tires, very good introduction to correct track setup.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

dntlvet
Yes, you need somebody in the pit lane to read the tires. You need to do this when you immediately come off the track otherwise the tires equalize the temp across the tread. Take three readings with a probe type pyrometer across the tread. These readings will give you a good idea on your set-up and overall tire temp=pressure.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:47 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Can we get some updates on the Trofeo R after a summers use? I am heavily debating starting with these on my GT3 instead of MPSC2's and want to know how fast they cycle out? and just peoples overall impressions after a summers use. Thanks
Old 11-22-2015, 10:23 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mixed reviews. Check out OrthoJoe's thread and he is not impressed. RM21 has been running trofeos too. He has had a better experience than Joe.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:12 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 423 Likes on 181 Posts

I have run Trofeo Rs , definitely a better track tire, but 2 trackdays vs 6 for MSC2!
Old 11-23-2015, 07:54 AM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did some comparisons over the past few months with the Trofeo and the Cup2 at Road Atlanta. Here is what I found. The Trofeo had approximately .1 G more grip in both lateral (cornering) and longitudinal grip (braking). Throwing out some outliers the Trofeo consistently got 1.5 Gs of lateral grip, compared to 1.4Gs for the Cup2. In braking, the Trofeo averaged 1.7 G's, compared to 1.6 G's for the Cup2. I ran my best times on the Trofeo by about .7 seconds (1:34.2). Given I'm not as consistent as a pro and clean laps are sometimes hard to come by, the other way I looked at it was with my best composite times. My best composite with the Trofeo was 1:31.5 versus 1:32.9 with the Cup2. After looking at my data post-facto, my biggest regret is that I didn't push the Trofeos harder given the additional grip. I'm going to try another set after I wear out the Cup2s, but that probably won't be until February or March, given the weather. I do agree with Sam's comments that the Cup 2s seems to prefer more slip angle. Wear was about equal before they both lose grip. If you don't care about maximum grip, I think you can get more cycles out of the Cup2s. The Trofeo rears wear out much faster than the fronts and will definitely cord before the Cup2s. My overall impression is the Trofeos are better and I will probably stick with them unless an N1 version of the Cup2 comes out next season and is markedly better.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:25 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I just did some comparisons over the past few months with the Trofeo and the Cup2 at Road Atlanta. Here is what I found. The Trofeo had approximately .1 G more grip in both lateral (cornering) and longitudinal grip (braking). Throwing out some outliers the Trofeo consistently got 1.5 Gs of lateral grip, compared to 1.4Gs for the Cup2. In braking, the Trofeo averaged 1.7 G's, compared to 1.6 G's for the Cup2. I ran my best times on the Trofeo by about .7 seconds (1:34.2). Given I'm not as consistent as a pro and clean laps are sometimes hard to come by, the other way I looked at it was with my best composite times. My best composite with the Trofeo was 1:31.5 versus 1:32.9 with the Cup2. After looking at my data post-facto, my biggest regret is that I didn't push the Trofeos harder given the additional grip. I'm going to try another set after I wear out the Cup2s, but that probably won't be until February or March, given the weather. I do agree with Sam's comments that the Cup 2s seems to prefer more slip angle. Wear was about equal before they both lose grip. If you don't care about maximum grip, I think you can get more cycles out of the Cup2s. The Trofeo rears wear out much faster than the fronts and will definitely cord before the Cup2s. My overall impression is the Trofeos are better and I will probably stick with them unless an N1 version of the Cup2 comes out next season and is markedly better.
Thanks. What about longevity? Did you have a chance to compare that at all? We have some very different experiences on this board - most I've seen suggest that Trofeos provide same number of track days and MPSC2, assuming MPSC2 are replaces fronts and rears together (5-6 days), but some indicate that Trofeos last only 1/2 of the time MPSC2s do.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:25 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Thanks. What about longevity? Did you have a chance to compare that at all? We have some very different experiences on this board - most I've seen suggest that Trofeos provide same number of track days and MPSC2, assuming MPSC2 are replaces fronts and rears together (5-6 days), but some indicate that Trofeos last only 1/2 of the time MPSC2s do.
Given my tolerances for drop offs in grip, I found the wear to be about the same. Past their peak at 25 or so cycles, but usable up to about 35 cycles (roughly 6-7 track days depending on your avg. # of sessions). I have a buddy who has run his Cup2s to 50 cycles, but he is willing to go much slower just to get more life out of the tires. I don't think you could do that with the Trofeo's since the rear tread would be corded by then.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:03 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
Great info... thanks!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed!! Thanks RM21!!
Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Great info and thanks, I am order Trofeo R's to tryout first now for sure.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I have found that the Trofeo's cord a lot earlier than the michelins- that's the only downside to the tire is that you can't really "squeeze" anything else out of them, once they're worn, they're trashed.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I have found that the Trofeo's cord a lot earlier than the michelins- that's the only downside to the tire is that you can't really "squeeze" anything else out of them, once they're worn, they're trashed.
Yep
Old 12-07-2015, 11:26 PM
TAGMotorsports
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Great info and thanks, I am order Trofeo R's to tryout first now for sure.
Let us know! We have them in stock

web: www.TAGMotorsports.com - email: sales@tagmotorsports.com
Authorized Dealer For: HRE, Vossen, TechArt, AWE, Bilstien, KW, Akrapovic, Capristo, Fabspseed, BBI, Vorsteiner, Milltek, 1016 Industries, BBS, Brembo, GMG, H&R, Pirelli, Michelin, Hankook & more.

TechArt & AWE Tuning's #1 Volume Dealer Nationwide
Old 12-08-2015, 12:37 AM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Sorry, I already ordered them through my local shop who matches tirerack/internet prices for me.

Quick Reply: PSC2 vs Trofeo R speed difference