Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/856084-pulling-both-paddles-neutral-but-only-while-being-held.html)

rijowysock 01-30-2015 12:14 AM

pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held

what would be the benefit of that? i thought on other models pulling both put into N until you hit one of the paddles again?

also, do you guys feel the paddles need to be out further and larger? i drive the ferrari FF and jump into gt3 and i'm missing the giant paddles!

ipse dixit 01-30-2015 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 11998058)
what would be the benefit of that?

Burnouts

montoya 01-30-2015 12:20 AM

In my very limited (75 Miles) of driving so far, I found this to be a great feature for declutching the transmission as you come to a slow stop like in stop and go traffic. If you hold it as you roll to a stop it will automatically shift to first and in so doing also eliminates the bucking and shucking from low speed operation in first or second gear at low speeds.

TRAKCAR 01-30-2015 12:28 AM

Useless for almost spinning the car...

hfm 01-30-2015 12:29 AM

When you're sitting at In and Out and they're taking too long to cough up your burger, fries and Coke, you can hold down both paddles...and rev and rev and rev like a little kid.

Dan (rev'd once but, yeah, it was something to do instead of just listening to music, then put it in park, and should have rev'd more)

24Chromium 01-30-2015 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by montoya (Post 11998075)
In my very limited (75 Miles) of driving so far, I found this to be a great feature for declutching the transmission as you come to a slow stop like in stop and go traffic. If you hold it as you roll to a stop it will automatically shift to first and in so doing also eliminates the bucking and shucking from low speed operation in first or second gear at low speeds.

+991

gt2urbo 01-30-2015 01:55 AM

kinda like putting the clutch in coming to a light but way more awkward...

mqandil 01-30-2015 03:25 AM

I use it mainly to coast down to the traffic light just like I normally do when I have a manual transmission. It can help you drift the car by providing you a good kick to turn the car sideways but traction control has to be off. It can be also used as a quick LC. Finally it can help you reduce understeer in a turn during slippery conditions which is more appropriate than hitting the brakes or lifting the throttle and especially when you have traction control on as it engages the throttle back smoothly. Mark

bluebell38 01-30-2015 09:59 AM

I use them sometimes when stoping at a red light. I have tried to burn out a couple times, seems like it shifted up when I was in manual. Does anyone have any fun tricks they do with the pull in?

BenDiem 01-30-2015 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by montoya (Post 11998075)

^^^ learned something today. Did not know this... Tks, bb

englebert 01-30-2015 11:26 AM

The function was to address the issue of not having a manual transmission. You could call it the Chris Harris feature!

It allows you to do a 'clutch kick' mid-bend, where you are suddenly dumping a load of revs through the rear wheels and therefore are able to initiate oversteer.

I am happy to do in in my cheap drift car, but not with the PDK.

http://www.driftingstreet.com/clutch...technique.html

Ceepe 01-30-2015 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 11998058)
what would be the benefit of that? i thought on other models pulling both put into N until you hit one of the paddles again?

also, do you guys feel the paddles need to be out further and larger? i drive the ferrari FF and jump into gt3 and i'm missing the giant paddles!

If it did not happen only when pulling it would not be fast enough to serve the purpose. You would never have time for it to disengage to a neutral that is then re-engaged with a second pull.
I have not tried this function yet but it seems like a pretty defining feature of PDK-S. Being able to fully engage the clutch(s) is pretty huge I think, and it's a giant step closer to full control as one would have in a three pedal car.

My hope is this gets to be second nature and the two paddle can be used in all kinds of scenarios.

doubleurx 01-30-2015 06:54 PM

I wonder who will be the first to put their GT3 through their garage using this feature....."Hey guys check this out (pulls both paddles back and revs throttle).......(releases paddles while RPMs still high)......"

Tosilog 01-30-2015 07:05 PM

What happens if you are holding both paddles then one hand slips. Will that reengage the gears?

bigkraig 01-30-2015 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tosilog (Post 12000169)
What happens if you are holding both paddles then one hand slips. Will that reengage the gears?

yup