Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held

Old 01-30-2015, 08:10 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
If it did not happen only when pulling it would not be fast enough to serve the purpose. You would never have time for it to disengage to a neutral that is then re-engaged with a second pull.
I have not tried this function yet but it seems like a pretty defining feature of PDK-S. Being able to fully engage the clutch(s) is pretty huge I think, and it's a giant step closer to full control as one would have in a three pedal car.

My hope is this gets to be second nature and the two paddle can be used in all kinds of scenarios.
in some video I saw someone mention you might use this for unloading the engine while in turns, can't remember who or where.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wasnt really impressed with it.

tried it once and was expecting it to re engage immediately after releasing the paddles (like the instant gear shifts) are but found the car was left 'still reving' as it was slow to re engage into gear when releasing the paddles.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:45 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

I believe it has to be in PDK sport for it to slam into gear.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:32 AM
alaint101
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigkraig
in some video I saw someone mention you might use this for unloading the engine while in turns, can't remember who or where.
It was the video w/ Herr Peruninger when he talks about using the feature to drift the car mid corner. I have tried it but it takes some getting used to. Not yet 'fun' for me. Easier to drift w/ lift or power under wet condition.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:15 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Longer paddles would be nice. When cold holding both paddles in does make it a bit quieter coming to a stop.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:37 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Longer paddles would be nice. When cold holding both paddles in does make it a bit quieter coming to a stop.
i wonder if possible to retrofit longer larger paddles on? lots of people make paddles for mclaren/etc.. maybe some add on's for porsche are to come?

also the manual says 50% shorter paddle throw.. but it's exactly the same as 991S
Old 01-31-2015, 07:11 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i wonder if possible to retrofit longer larger paddles on? lots of people make paddles for mclaren/etc.. maybe some add on's for porsche are to come?

also the manual says 50% shorter paddle throw.. but it's exactly the same as 991S
my paddle feel is shorter and stiffer than it was in my 991 4S
Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
my paddle feel is shorter and stiffer than it was in my 991 4S
Yup. Same here.

50% shorter (at least) and definitely 100% shorter.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

Ferrari paddles are fixed and do not move with the steering wheel. Larger paddles would be cumbersome if allowed to move with the wheel.

That said, my preference would be for larger paddles that are fixed.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

FWIW.....

Paddle Neutral
The “Paddle Neutral” function is based on the function of a clutch pedal on vehicles
with manual transmission. On the new 911 GT3, this decoupling function can also be
used for influencing driving dynamics individually, irrespective of the driving situation
and the engaged gear.
The Paddle Neutral function is activated by pulling and holding both shift paddles on
the steering wheel at the same time. This opens the clutches of the Porsche Doppelkupplung
(PDK) and interrupts the flow of power between the engine and the drive
system. When both shift paddles are released again, the clutch closes with lightning
speed if PSM is switched off (ESC+TC OFF) and there is a pulse-like resumption of
the flow of power between the engine and drive system. If PSM is switched on, the
clutch also closes quickly, but not in the same pulse-like way, when the paddles are
released at the same time. The engaged gear flashes on the gear indicator in the
instrument cluster to indicate that the Paddle Neutral function is activated.
The Paddle Neutral function essentially offers two advantages. First, if the vehicle
understeers in a curve (on a wet road, for example), this function allows the driver to
neutralize vehicle handling. The interruption in propulsion force on the rear axle prevents
further “sliding” over the front axle and allows the build-up of additional cornering
forces on the wheels on the front axle. This functional advantage therefore
ensures not only greater driving safety, but also improved driving performance as a
result of faster stabilization of the vehicle. The second advantage of the Paddle Neutral
function is due to the individual influencing of the driving dynamics through the
pulse-like build-up of propulsion force upon clutch engagement. During dynamic driveoff
acceleration in conjunction with the ESC+TC OFF function, for example, the
amount of slip on the wheels can therefore be controlled individually using the accelerator pedal.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:51 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

so basically made to drift the *** around for magazine test drivers
Old 02-01-2015, 07:34 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Silly question, but I assume it goes back into the same gear it was in upon release of both paddles?

Be a bit messy if it didn't...

Vivian
Old 02-01-2015, 10:13 PM
bluebell38
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iv'e revved the car hard with wheel turned, both paddle in then released them, nothing happens, its like the rev limiter kicks in hard. I thought you could just spin the tires. Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly
wasnt really impressed with it.

tried it once and was expecting it to re engage immediately after releasing the paddles (like the instant gear shifts) are but found the car was left 'still reving' as it was slow to re engage into gear when releasing the paddles.
yes

I have found at a stoplight, if you have paddle neutral engaged, blipping the throttle, etc., if you release and try to give gas in just the wrong way/sequence, you can stall the car (have done it) and/or find the car revving but not engaging in first. I think its a really cool feature, I guess I just need to perfect it.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:07 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluebell38
Iv'e revved the car hard with wheel turned, both paddle in then released them, nothing happens, its like the rev limiter kicks in hard. I thought you could just spin the tires. Any thoughts?
Turn off traction control. I tried it, it works.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pulling both paddles... Neutral but only while being held