Sponsored by:

GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:07 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
Those who have the 991 GT3 will, for the most part, side with the 9A1. That much has been clear for a while. There was a a lot of back and forth on the consolodated RS thread about the Mezger and the GT3 9A1. The bottom line is that the Mezger is raced, used in the 991 Cup and 991 RSR, and the 9A1 isn't. Why? No one really knows for sure, but logic does say the 9A1 may not have been up to par.

End of story, the "GT1" engine won Le Mans, and the 9A1 has so far won nothing. The 9A1 engine is a lot lighter than the GT1 engine. It's more efficient, better low end torque, but still not good enough to race.

And as far as the market goes, the values of manual cars for non GT cars are lower than their comparable PDK versions. The GT1 engine does have a pull on the market.
I have to concur with all of the comments about the 9A1 being designed as a mass production engine with fuel efficiency and cost-effectiveness as the core variables in its production. I worked on a project related to the making of the 991 and met with Porsche engineers and techs in Zuffenhausen and the US.

The Mezger block was a solid engine. Having owned all the GT3 variants, I can say that it has the best, smoothest howl of all the engines. We all know the functional issues it has had, but overall a strong unit.

The 9A1 has that DFI rickety or clacky sound if you listen closely, but I try to ignore it, as I appreciate the improvements in handling of the new chassis and enjoy the higher hp. I wish there was a bit more low-end torque.

Aesthetically, I had to bite my tongue meeting with the lead exterior design engineer, as I am not a big fan of the rear end - the 991/981 seam across the back breaks up the curvaceous hips of the 901/993s etc. At least it doesn't have the terrible fried-egg headlights of the 996.

Time will tell how reliable the beefed-up GT3 version of the 9A1 is. I'll reserve judgment and hope for the best. Sure, it would placate all of the current owners if the 9A1 makes its way into motorsports, but we shall see.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Matt at Guards calling it like it is in post 72 and 81 in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post12014451

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post12014535

Originally Posted by GTgears
Right, BGB running a season of Grand Am with Pumpelly at the wheel wasn't a real pro effort. That was after 3 Caymans swept the podium at Daytona when the factory backed Mazdas were out after 8 hours. 1 mechsnical on 3 Caymans in 24 hours, a blown cv. Fixed and back in for 3rd. Every engine survived, on the banks of Daytona.

None of those VLN teams who have run Caymans at the Ring for the last decade are pros. Just a bunch of poseurs running amateur 24 hour races.

Why hasn't it been run in Cups? Politics. The mothership didn't want it. They promulgated the Mezger myth. And you guys bought it and bought cars.

Others of us have been pushing for Cayman racecars ever since they came out. We won. This car is the precursor to the Cayman Cup. It won't be a GT3 class car so you still won't see it at LeMans or Daytona. But then again why are those the only real pro races? The Cayman took top 3 positions in the Conti "sprint" series last year. A sprint series composed of 2 hour races. How many if you ever run your gt3 2 hours without resting it?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,722 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Pure **** weather for you here in Austin...car arrives tomorrow and this is what I get to play in for the next 5 days

You're missing all the fun.....
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2015, 01:56 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I have to concur with all of the comments about the 9A1 being designed as a mass production engine with fuel efficiency and cost-effectiveness as the core variables in its production. I worked on a project related to the making of the 991 and met with Porsche engineers and techs in Zuffenhausen and the US.

The Mezger block was a solid engine. Having owned all the GT3 variants, I can say that it has the best, smoothest howl of all the engines. We all know the functional issues it has had, but overall a strong unit.

The 9A1 has that DFI rickety or clacky sound if you listen closely, but I try to ignore it, as I appreciate the improvements in handling of the new chassis and enjoy the higher hp. I wish there was a bit more low-end torque.

Aesthetically, I had to bite my tongue meeting with the lead exterior design engineer, as I am not a big fan of the rear end - the 991/981 seam across the back breaks up the curvaceous hips of the 901/993s etc. At least it doesn't have the terrible fried-egg headlights of the 996.

Time will tell how reliable the beefed-up GT3 version of the 9A1 is. I'll reserve judgment and hope for the best. Sure, it would placate all of the current owners if the 9A1 makes its way into motorsports, but we shall see.
Too many variables remain to judge the long term value of tbe GT3 and its engine. I think its safe to say the Metzger engine hasn't done too much to prop up 996 Turbo values, so clearly the market ebbs and flows on more than just the engine block. If the 991GT3/RS engine does not make it to motorsports, whatever the reason, that will be a loss of pedigree that IMHO will diminish the luster of these cars and impact long term values. However, even in the absence of a motorsport pedigree, if the 991GT3/RS turns out to be the last NA GT Porsches that will offset a good deal of failure to achieve motorsport connection. Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace