Sponsored by:

GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Since we're already OT, have we confirmed that manual mode works differently when the sport button is pressed? Since my car isn't broken in yet, I've generally left the sport button off, so that I don't rev to high when switching to auto mode.
Originally Posted by Macca
Manifold. It works no different.
Manifold, I agree with Mark that there is no difference when the Sport button is pressed in M mode.

My understanding of the Porsche Technik introduction material on PDK-S is that basically, as soon as one selects M mode, the same parameters (Lightning shift, dynamic torque enhancement, more sporty control strategy for clutch engagement) are activated by default that are engaged when you press the PDK Sport button in auto mode. I believe pressing the button in M mode is redundant.

I know others say there is a difference with the button pressed in M mode, but I disagree. Given the way this thread has gone off the rails the last few pages, I do so respectfully.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 02-01-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-01-2015, 02:54 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Sport button does nothing in M mode. It clearly works in A mode noticably keeping revs much higher.

Dan (is now a M, exhaust, door lock, AUX BT, lift, button pusher on start up)
Old 02-01-2015, 03:34 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great clarification on sport button. I should have been clearer. I have done no back to back comparisons with PDK vs PDK-S manual. I just always assumed there was a difference. Because in auto there is a massive difference. So I just push PDK S now and go.

I will say that the tranny is more complicated than face value. I'm still learning the nuances. Not sure about others, but I have stalled at a red light messing with the paddle neutral function then into 1st gear. Haven't done that (stalled a car) in a very long time :-)
Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmd
OT: do you live in Lake Garda Italy now? When I used to live in Zurich Switzerland, my family and I would vacation there. It is fantastic.
Originally Posted by 997s07
Worth to note you're wrong. I checked your statement in quotes, found your non-credible source. I ignored your last post that you made on this thread with much misinformation (not the least of which was production numbers). But I won't ignore this one.

The 991 Cup AND the 991 RSR run the GT1 block engine, yes the Mezger. Get over it.

Apart the sense of humor needed to read hypothesis not confirmed by facts against an audience of real users

is very hilarious, go ahead

doesn t this suggest to you something?

Spare parts

Oxygen sensors for

Car Type *Fit for:Mod. 991 GT3**991 GT3 Cup, 3.8L, 338kW / 991 GT3, 3.8L, 350kWMod. 991**C4S, 3.8L, 294kW / C4, 3.4L, 257kW / C2S, 3.8L, 294kW /
C2, 3.4L, 257kW

Oxygen sensor for
Car Type *Fit for:Mod. 997 GT3**GT3 RS, 4L, 368kW / GT3 RS, 3.8L, 331kW /
GT3, 3.8L, 320kW / GT3 RS, 3.6L, 305kW / GT3, 3.6L, 305kWMod. Cayman-2**R 3.4l, 243 kW / 3.4l, 235 kW / 2.9l, 195 kWMod. Boxster 987-2**Spyder, 3.4l, 235 kW / 3.4l, 228 kW / 2.9l, 188 kW
Old 02-01-2015, 08:23 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,777 Likes on 4,773 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Manifold, I agree with Mark that there is no difference when the Sport button is pressed in M mode.

My understanding of the Porsche Technik introduction material on PDK-S is that basically, as soon as one selects M mode, the same parameters (Lightning shift, dynamic torque enhancement, more sporty control strategy for clutch engagement) are activated by default that are engaged when you press the PDK Sport button in auto mode. I believe pressing the button in M mode is redundant.

I know others say there is a difference with the button pressed in M mode, but I disagree. Given the way this thread has gone off the rails the last few pages, I do so respectfully.
Mike

As always this is über informative.

But I would like to add and ask one follow-up point and question.

We've been focusing primarily (at least from what I can tell) on the upshifts in PDK-S in manual versus automatic mode.

But what of downshifts?

In manual - either with PDK-S or not - the car will downshift automatically, if for nothing else than to prevent you from stalling. And correct me if I'm wrong (which may very well be the case), but aren't the downshifts in PDK-S mode more aggressive (in terms of RPM range) and quicker, just like the upshifts are?

So my question is, if you're in manual mode with PDK-S selected, are the downshifts when automatically engaged by the car no different than with PDK-S unselected?

Just curious. Thanks for any thoughts and corrections.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Mike

We've been focusing primarily (at least from what I can tell) on the upshifts in PDK-S in manual versus automatic mode.

But what of downshifts?

In manual - either with PDK-S or not - the car will downshift automatically, if for nothing else than to prevent you from stalling. And correct me if I'm wrong (which may very well be the case), but aren't the downshifts in PDK-S mode more aggressive (in terms of RPM range) and quicker, just like the upshifts are?

So my question is, if you're in manual mode with PDK-S selected, are the downshifts when automatically engaged by the car no different than with PDK-S unselected?

Are you asking if the auto downshift in manual mode that normally happens about 1krpm happens higher up if sport mode is on? If so, I can't say I've noticed it. If you're suggesting it might shift down at the same time as sport auto mode, which tries to keep you above 4krpm, then it definitely does not.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Are you asking if the auto downshift in manual mode that normally happens about 1krpm happens higher up if sport mode is on? If so, I can't say I've noticed it. If you're suggesting it might shift down at the same time as sport auto mode, which tries to keep you above 4krpm, then it definitely does not.
No. This is what I'm trying to say. Bear with me as English is my second language.

In PDK-S auto, the downshifts happen in a certain fashion which is different than in non PDK-S mode, right?

In PDK-S manual, if you allow the car to downshift for you, won't the downshifts mimic the throttle mapping of PDK-S auto (which, I think, we can agree is different than the non PDK-S auto mode downshift throttle mapping)?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike

But what of downshifts?

No. This is what I'm trying to say. Bear with me as English is my second language.

In PDK-S auto, the downshifts happen in a certain fashion which is different than in non PDK-S mode, right?

In PDK-S manual, if you allow the car to downshift for you, won't the downshifts mimic the throttle mapping of PDK-S auto (which, I think, we can agree is different than the non PDK-S auto mode downshift throttle mapping)?
ipse, first of all, there's no need to make apologies for your English. It's excellent.

It's important to note that in manual mode the gearbox doesn't really downshift for you. Sure, it will eventually downshift as revs drop near idle speed to prevent gross lugging or a stall, but other than that the only downshifts that happen are the ones initiated manually by the driver.

It's true that downshifts and rev matching in auto PDK Sport mode are more aggressive, especially when entering a turn or under hard braking, than they are in regular auto mode. But my experience is that in manual mode, rev matching and downshifts are also aggressive under similar conditions, whether the PDK Sport button is pressed or not. Since my understanding is that the same programming is initiated when putting the car in M as is used in PDK Sport, just as with upshifts, I'd expect this. I hope that answered your question.

cheers
Old 02-02-2015, 03:46 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ah I see. I agree with Mike that I can't tell any difference in manual down shifts with/without PDK-S on.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:16 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
Apart the sense of humor needed to read hypothesis not confirmed by facts against an audience of real users

is very hilarious, go ahead

doesn t this suggest to you something?

Spare parts

Oxygen sensors for

Car Type *Fit for:Mod. 991 GT3**991 GT3 Cup, 3.8L, 338kW / 991 GT3, 3.8L, 350kWMod. 991**C4S, 3.8L, 294kW / C4, 3.4L, 257kW / C2S, 3.8L, 294kW /
C2, 3.4L, 257kW

Oxygen sensor for
Car Type *Fit for:Mod. 997 GT3**GT3 RS, 4L, 368kW / GT3 RS, 3.8L, 331kW /
GT3, 3.8L, 320kW / GT3 RS, 3.6L, 305kW / GT3, 3.6L, 305kWMod. Cayman-2**R 3.4l, 243 kW / 3.4l, 235 kW / 2.9l, 195 kWMod. Boxster 987-2**Spyder, 3.4l, 235 kW / 3.4l, 228 kW / 2.9l, 188 kW
This makes no sense. Sorry. I suggest you look up some racing teams that use the Cup and RSR car. See what they describe is in their cars.

Oxygen sensors? These are not related to engines.

Edit: here's an EVO link - http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/12875/2013-porsche-911-gt3-cup-video

Last edited by 997s07; 02-02-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:08 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
this is way off.

folks disagree around here all the time. we do so intelligently and for the most part respectfully. we debate. and we all have thick skin, so there are definitely the occasional barbs, with no hard feelings or big deal. its the tone and personal attacks, vulgarity of language, etc. that is different here. I have been on Rennlist over 10 years and never felt the need to use the words ***** or **** in a thread. And reading back through all the posts, I cant find anyone attacking him personally, or purporting that there cant be a difference of opinions.
Some of the responses to Destaccado are based on fact or personal driving experience; others, though, are just personal shots at him suggesting that he only criticizes the GT3 because he can't afford one and is envious of it, or that he is just bitter about having purchased another vehicle. If you have missed these posts, that's fine, but they exist (both in this thread and others) and they add nothing to the discussion. So no, my post was not way off.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
ipse, first of all, there's no need to make apologies for your English. It's excellent.

It's important to note that in manual mode the gearbox doesn't really downshift for you. Sure, it will eventually downshift as revs drop near idle speed to prevent gross lugging or a stall, but other than that the only downshifts that happen are the ones initiated manually by the driver.

It's true that downshifts and rev matching in auto PDK Sport mode are more aggressive, especially when entering a turn or under hard braking, than they are in regular auto mode. But my experience is that in manual mode, rev matching and downshifts are also aggressive under similar conditions, whether the PDK Sport button is pressed or not. Since my understanding is that the same programming is initiated when putting the car in M as is used in PDK Sport, just as with upshifts, I'd expect this. I hope that answered your question.

cheers
Far be it for me to disagree with you Mike, but not sure that's right (entirely). I took the car out this weekend through some mountain roads and had it in PDK-S manual, and in hard breaking around turns where I was either too lazy or too preoccupied (or both) to downshift, the car did downshift, and I was nowhere near idle (i.e., when you drive in PDK-S manual and stop at a red light, for example).

Having said that, not sure if the downshifts (either in terms of speed or RPM throttle mapping) would've been different had I not been in PDK-S.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:48 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Some of the responses to Destaccado are based on fact or personal driving experience; others, though, are just personal shots at him suggesting that he only criticizes the GT3 because he can't afford one and is envious of it, or that he is just bitter about having purchased another vehicle. If you have missed these posts, that's fine, but they exist (both in this thread and others) and they add nothing to the discussion. So no, my post was not way off.
I agree. There was some silly shooting at destaccado. Good on you for pointing it out.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:32 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Hi.

Snowing and raining and icing here in New York. Someone tell me about their amazing commute this morning in a GT3. Talk dirty to me. Lol
Just in from a 4 hour shovelling ordeal. Damn wife she didn't even want to help. 16" of the white stuff. Oh well Costa Rica bound this Friday [no snow there]
Old 02-02-2015, 05:34 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
Hi.

Snowing and raining and icing here in New York. Someone tell me about their amazing commute this morning in a GT3. Talk dirty to me. Lol
sunny Austin, TX day, no rain, dry roads, 40 degrees (cold for us). no commute, but I did drive it over to the XPEL shop to drop off for clear bra... lots of thumbs up as always, and the neck snap at howl of 8/9k SHIFT, BOOM...

Tried my best, how was that

Quick Reply: GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace