Sponsored by:

GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace

Old 02-01-2015, 11:00 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Please point out the gap in my logic
Very simple. Concluding that one thing is better than another without trying it. Pepsi vs. Coke, Blondes vs. Brunettes, Flat Pillow vs. Puffy one.

I have owned several 993s. I drove and tried to like a C4S once. I thought it drove like an SUV compared to my C2 or my C2S. Didn't make it a bad car. Just wasn't for me. But I can comment. Having driven both.

What I didn't do then is go decide to pick a fight with C4S owners. Agree with ATXGT3, that's a sign of deeper issues.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:02 AM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 102 Posts

Why don't you go eat a piece of **** for dinner tonight - I'm assuming you haven't tried it and you might even save a few bucks on your meal bill. I'll tell you what though - I'm gonna assume based on taste being mostly related to smell you're not gonna like it. I didn't have to eat a piece myself to come to that conclusion...

Ironically many of the same comments about standard PDK were made back in 2009 -- "you have to try it" ...guess what - I tried it and it met my expectations. Best automatic transmission I've driven -- I prefer a manual by a mile. Exactly what I expected.
I am starting to doubt you even own a car. You have anger issues and should seek professional help, if you haven't already. A change in RX would probably benefit you. I know you will probably come back with some bs post, but that's ok, you are not well.

How someone can become so worked up over a car they don't own and have never driven is beyond normal. I have owned many manuals and still do, including the famed mezger engines, and to me the PDK-s is great.

I used to think hybrid electric motors are bs, until I drove the the 918 spyder....
Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

Why don't you go eat a piece of **** for dinner tonight - I'm assuming you haven't tried it and you might even save a few bucks on your meal bill. I'll tell you what though - I'm gonna assume based on taste being mostly related to smell you're not gonna like it. I didn't have to eat a piece myself to come to that conclusion...

Ironically many of the same comments about standard PDK were made back in 2009 -- "you have to try it" ...guess what - I tried it and it met my expectations. Best automatic transmission I've driven -- I prefer a manual by a mile. Exactly what I expected.
Lovely and true to form. You took the bait... no real reply!

Your reply is going to the moderators and needs a permanent ban. It is personal and against the spirit of the forum. Goodbye.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:08 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by odwa
How did this thread get so sideways from the original post: GT3 values and Chris Harris speaks marketplace???
Did you read the article? It seems we're discussing exactly what the article is about.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Guys, destaccado is obviously irked that he spent good money on a '13 C2S, when he could have gotten a far superior 991 GT3 for not too much more money, so he has a need to diminish the GT3.

Destaccado, the solution is to admit your mistake, cut your loss, and try to buy the GT3 before the price skyrockets and the value of your C2S continues to drop. Denial is only making it worse.
This thread started off well, then quickly declined. It's a shame because I thought the Harris piece was intriguing and would promote some interesting discussion. I get that some view Destaccado as a provocateur. But many of the responses to him make little sense to me. If his criticisms of the GT3 and his preference for other variations don't sit well with folks, probably better to ignore them than take (often ill-founded) shots at him. The GT3 is a killer but there is no car for which there should be an expectation that it holds the top spot on everyone's want list.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Very simple. Concluding that one thing is better than another without trying it. Pepsi vs. Coke, Blondes vs. Brunettes, Flat Pillow vs. Puffy one.

I have owned several 993s. I drove and tried to like a C4S once. I thought it drove like an SUV compared to my C2 or my C2S. Didn't make it a bad car. Just wasn't for me. But I can comment. Having driven both.

What I didn't do then is go decide to pick a fight with C4S owners. Agree with ATXGT3, that's a sign of deeper issues.
Ironically you don't have to try blondes vs brunettes to know which one you prefer -- attraction is mostly a visual thing for men...

Your analogies are silly. What I've stated is more akin to knowing that if you don't like sleeping on a hardwood floor -- you won't like sleeping on a rock.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Haku
Lovely and true to form. You took the bait... no real reply!

Your reply is going to the moderators and needs a permanent ban. It is personal and against the spirit of the forum. Goodbye.
So I'm curious how you know what I said was insulting if you haven't actually tried a piece of **** yourself? Aren't you the one claiming you need to try something to have an opinion. Thanks for making my point.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
This thread started off well, then quickly declined. It's a shame because I thought the Harris piece was intriguing and would promote some interesting discussion. I get that some view Destaccado as a provocateur. But many of the responses to him make little sense to me. If his criticisms of the GT3 and his preference for other variations don't sit well with folks, probably better to ignore them than take (often ill-founded) shots at him. The GT3 is a killer but there is no car for which there should be an expectation that it holds the top spot on everyone's want list.
His reputation precedes him from other threads. I agree that no mere car should be sacrosanct. I've myself criticized the 991 GT3 before and after ownership, and continue to do so. But the way in which one does so makes all the difference. His way is clearly not at all in the spirit of these forum discussions, and as others have noted, that may reflect deeper issues which we can't resolve here.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:19 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
His reputation precedes him from other threads. I agree that no mere car should be sacrosanct. I've myself criticized the 991 GT3 before and after ownership, and continue to do so. But the way in which one does so makes all the difference. His way is clearly not at all in the spirit of these forum discussions, and as others have noted, that may reflect deeper issues which we can't resolve here.
My reputation of what? Not being a fan of the 991 GT3 and having a gaggle of 991 GT3 owners constantly pile on and attempt to shout me down because they don't like my negative comments towards the car? I'm here to read about the RS in hopes it might be made with a manual but when I see a thread about the differences in GT3 values and see people commenting on how inferior the 997 is I might choose to step in.

Some of you need to stop projecting your anger on me.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:21 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
this is way off.

folks disagree around here all the time. we do so intelligently and for the most part respectfully. we debate. and we all have thick skin, so there are definitely the occasional barbs, with no hard feelings or big deal. its the tone and personal attacks, vulgarity of language, etc. that is different here. I have been on Rennlist over 10 years and never felt the need to use the words ***** or **** in a thread. And reading back through all the posts, I cant find anyone attacking him personally, or purporting that there cant be a difference of opinions.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
Classy one aren't you. Just a douche on the internet or does this carry over to real life...don't answer.

We get it--you don't like 991 GT3.

Dude you need to look into other things to do with your life than hang out in a forum for a car you could careless about.
This is a forum for the 991 GT3 which includes the RS which I do care about. Further, this discussion is about all GT3's.

Don't worry about what I do with my life -- it's going just fine.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 391 Likes on 128 Posts

this is way off.

folks disagree around here all the time. we do so intelligently and for the most part respectfully. we debate. and we all have thick skin, so there are definitely the occasional barbs, with no hard feelings or big deal. its the tone and personal attacks, vulgarity of language, etc. that is different here. And reading back through all the posts, I cant find anyone attacking him personally, or purporting that there cant be a difference of opinions.
+1 very well put and exactly the case.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

this is way off.

folks disagree around here all the time. we do so intelligently and for the most part respectfully. we debate. and we all have thick skin, so there are definitely the occasional barbs, with no hard feelings or big deal. its the tone and personal attacks, vulgarity of language, etc. that is different here. And reading back through all the posts, I cant find anyone attacking him personally, or purporting that there cant be a difference of opinions.
Oh please...I can find examples of you doing it yourself.

"I vote that no one can post on this topic anymore, unless they owned a mezger 997.2 gt3 and a new gt3.."

"But I can comment. Having driven both."

It's doesn't take a 130 IQ to know you were referring directly to me. I guess you think your snide backhanded attacks don't count. Hypocrisy.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

destaccado. I appreciate your POV. Coming from a strong history of MT cars I went into 991 Gt3 ownership very sceptical I must say. I will also say it took me some time to warm up to the transmission. In Europe when I picked up the car in winter from the factory I did 2000 miles on the MPSC2 and even though I drove it quickly in places it was not until this summer in NZ on roads more familiar to me driving the car in manual mode that I really started to enjoy that box. I finally got to drive the car on track as well in July, August, September (our winter) and I must say in sport auto it worked really well. I had never owned a paddle transmission before - the lesson that increased my enjoyment of the car around town and everywhere was to use the manual mode exclusively.

Manifold was a a tough guy yo please coming into 991 GT3 ownership and his points are particularly relevenant here as we spent months with manifold trying to tell him that he had to drive the ra to understand what we were telling him. My hat goes off to manifold, he took some heat from me and other early adoptors for sure but he acually put his money where is mouth was and bought the car and came through the rest of the exercise with a great thread on his impression on the car (the good and the questioning) and so far I feel his feedback and observations are very much spot on even though his ownership experience is young and there are layers to the 991 GT3 onion that need peeling back slowly over time, such as track work and fast quiet backroad carving. The car has so much character from the transmission and chuntering drive-train to the rabid engine that sings in teh cabin and starts to make your blood boil as it cresendos in the final 1500 rpm. Ive owned mezger engined cars all my 911 owning life and Ive never owned an engine as dynamic and punchy as this. It really does give you a snap in the neck and feels faster even that it is when you nail the loud pedal (I think the aural experience adds to this feeling). Not only does it sound and handle great but it looks just gorgeous - its one of those cars that photographs cant do justice too. When you see it and walk around it you realise how muscular it is in subtle ways.

I reckon we should call a truce on this discussion about the transmission just now. You should get a day or two varied driving seat time in the 991 GT3. Youll probably hate it but maybe not.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,700 Likes on 2,152 Posts

My reputation of what? Not being a fan of the 991 GT3 and having a gaggle of 991 GT3 owners constantly pile on and attempt to shout me down because they don't like my negative comments towards the car? I'm here to read about the RS in hopes it might be made with a manual but when I see a thread about the differences in GT3 values and see people commenting on how inferior the 997 is I might choose to step in.

Some of you need to stop projecting your anger on me.
The point you seem to miss is that these forums are as much about the social interaction as the cars. If your participation is routinely causing a backlash, why not change your approach? There are different and more effective ways to make the points you want to make. What use is your message if you're delivering it in a way that no one wants to hear it? And have the humility to recognize that some of your statements may simply be wrong - you may be able to learn something here if you grant a modicum of respect to others, rather that just arguing reflexively.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 values, and Chris Harris speaks marketplace