Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ENGINE CONTROL FAULT

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:07 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I do not think this is an engine issue. I think they have a software issue. I think they went too conservative after 2014 fiasco. They built in too conservative of a program that is triggering these warnings. -Just my $.02
Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by swivelhi
I tried the restart routine twice, no luck. I have 2400 miles no track no craziness.
THAT is obviously your problem!
The car is complaining about you depriving it of the track time and moments of craziness on the road it loves so much. Got to loosen the leash a bit and all will be well. LOL
Old 04-26-2015, 01:28 PM
levd
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I do not think this is an engine issue. I think they have a software issue. I think they went too conservative after 2014 fiasco. They built in too conservative of a program that is triggering these warnings. -Just my $.02
Most likely. But whatever it was - it ruined a track day for me and gave me a sense of insecurity for next track days. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Warning appeared again first thing at the morning when i started the engine, but 2 hours later with another start it was back to normal and everything looks normal now. Which is no good. I would love to give a car to dealer with nice flashing warning on dashboard tomorrow, instead of just my story of problem that was there than evaporated by itself.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:05 PM
C6 ZED
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine Control Fault

Originally Posted by levd
Most likely. But whatever it was - it ruined a track day for me and gave me a sense of insecurity for next track days. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Warning appeared again first thing at the morning when i started the engine, but 2 hours later with another start it was back to normal and everything looks normal now. Which is no good. I would love to give a car to dealer with nice flashing warning on dashboard tomorrow, instead of just my story of problem that was there than evaporated by itself.
Similar problem on my '15 GT3 on cold start was due to faulty check valve on the secondary air injection system which helps to reduce emissions on cold start. The faulty valve wouldn't maintain vacuum in the small vacuum cylinder overnight and this triggered the engine control fault warning on cold start. New valve fixed the problem. Good luck with locating the problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:19 AM
levd
Pro

Well, computer showed 3rd cilinder ignition coil problem.

Mechanics at the dealership told me the coil was visibly "loose", so they replaced the coil under warranty. Told me it's safe to go and track the car now.

I will post an update here after my next try at the track. I really hope it will be all good. Should be.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 AM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The car will throw the warning for many issues, even as simple as getting low on gas and taking some hard turns, my car went into Safe mode on track because of this issue,Since we don't know untill the codes are read, it will ruin a nice track day, I think Porsche almost over did the Safety codes.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:31 AM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by malmasri
The car will throw the warning for many issues, even as simple as getting low on gas and taking some hard turns, my car went into Safe mode on track because of this issue,Since we don't know untill the codes are read, it will ruin a nice track day, I think Porsche almost over did the Safety codes.
Didn't your car go back to normal after restart?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Tony King
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be the same issue I have. My car is in pieces at my local dealer. New engine being installed - it's an oil starvation issue to a cylinder.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:26 PM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Any word on your car, Tony? I might be in the same boat. Started with limp mode due to a cylinder 5 misfire last weekend. Changed coil packs, changed plugs, same problem. Dealer hasn't determined what the issue is yet. And I just forfeited hotel/flight/track fees @ Road Atlanta this weekend. Not happy.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:06 AM
levd
Pro

Originally Posted by 997TTMeteor
Started with limp mode due to a cylinder 5 misfire last weekend. Changed coil packs, changed plugs, same problem. Dealer hasn't determined what the issue is yet.
Does your car go to limp mode right away when you start it or after a while?
Old 05-02-2015, 11:08 AM
997TTMeteor
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Does your car go to limp mode right away when you start it or after a while?
No, once the code is cleared the car starts and runs normally in low-mid revs, but if you get up to around 8,000 RPM the Engine Control Fault warning comes on and the car goes into Limp Mode.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:54 PM
brass4321
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Engine Control Fault right after my post break-in oil change. Dealer told me I had a bad thermostat, kept it overnight to replace the part and test, and it's been fine since.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM
levd
Pro

Well, computer showed 3rd cilinder ignition coil problem.

Mechanics at the dealership told me the coil was visibly "loose", so they replaced the coil under warranty. Told me it's safe to go and track the car now.

I will post an update here after my next try at the track. I really hope it will be all good. Should be.
All good on track today. Seems like ignition coil replacement helped.
The following users liked this post:
SterlingatBOM (10-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2015, 10:51 PM
malmasri
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Didn't your car go back to normal after restart?
it took its sweet time
Old 05-04-2015, 11:46 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
THAT is obviously your problem!
The car is complaining about you depriving it of the track time and moments of craziness on the road it loves so much. Got to loosen the leash a bit and all will be well. LOL
+991...go flog the car a bit, it's good for it.
The following users liked this post:
Goldenappple (09-04-2023)

Quick Reply: ENGINE CONTROL FAULT