991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched

Old 06-26-2015, 03:49 PM
DBLinSquan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Shivatron. Unfortunately, I am about to be stuck with non-OEM paint since my 20 yr old/110K mile 993 needs more than "touch up". I was thinking about putting down Xpel a month later but was concerned about it yellowing and how things would go if it was later peeled off the non-OEM paint. As opposed to just planning on another touch up well down the road. Apperciate your input.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:02 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

You guys with white cars, how noticeable is the yellowing after 1-2 years? That's the main thing holding me back right now.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

My Suntek is starting to be noticeably yellow on my white GT3 after 6 months.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:29 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
You guys with white cars, how noticeable is the yellowing after 1-2 years? That's the main thing holding me back right now.
From what've read, there are films with UV protection and films without. Apparently the difference is film yellowing vs paint yellowing/fading. I think Xpel makes both types. To me, this is important when doing a partial wrap. With UV protection in the film, the unprotected paint will fade at a different rate than the covered areas. If doing a partial wrap, I would lean toward a film without UV protection. For full wrap you could go either way but I would think UV protection film would be the way to go. I am still unclear if unprotected white paint eventually yellows because of UV fading. If UV, them I'd much rather deal with replacing yellowed film periodically than having my white paint look less than brilliant years down the road.

Fwiw, I had Satin Guard on my white R8 and the film was noticeably yellower (to me) a year after having it installed.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:03 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
From what've read, there are films with UV protection and films without. Apparently the difference is film yellowing vs paint yellowing/fading. I think Xpel makes both types. To me, this is important when doing a partial wrap. With UV protection in the film, the unprotected paint will fade at a different rate than the covered areas. If doing a partial wrap, I would lean toward a film without UV protection. For full wrap you could go either way but I would think UV protection film would be the way to go. I am still unclear if unprotected white paint eventually yellows because of UV fading. If UV, them I'd much rather deal with replacing yellowed film periodically than having my white paint look less than brilliant years down the road.

Fwiw, I had Satin Guard on my white R8 and the film was noticeably yellower (to me) a year after having it installed.
Personally I think this fading concern on the paint isn't a big issue with modern paint and modern sealants / coatings. So not worried about that.

More of an issue of how bad the yellowing film looks vs. Rock chips.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

There is polish you can apply on PPF, that not only removes road grime and dirt, but also prevents yellowing.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:22 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
I like to wax and polish hood, so that is out.
Hood is one of the most important.. might as well not add anything if you don't do the hood.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:40 AM
Sloopy
Pro

I did the whole front back to the doors, mirrors and rear quarter panel. This eliminated the rear rock guards. Great job and can't see where wrap is. No chips after 9K miles.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:09 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

so my dealer in the UK delivered a 918 spyder to a client recently who had a professional installer come to the dealer to install clear bra.

Apparently, the finish was terrible and the owner wanted the full body wrap taken off. The installer then said he couldn't guarantee the paint work if taken off.

The 918 owner was not amused....

Porsche dealers in the UK do not offer clear bra to customers. Without getting into sales tactics and such, there seems to be more to it than what is commonly accepted wisdom that clear bra is safe on paint.

I have decided that stone chips add character

PS: before anyone suggests that he skimped on the installer, remember this is a 918 spyder owner with quite a few toys.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Sloopy
Pro

I had it done on a DB9 and hated it. That was before I found Premier in Fremont.

Installer is everything. I have since had it done of 4 cars and love the outcome. Honestly, I know its there but anyone else will ague it's not.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:59 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
so my dealer in the UK delivered a 918 spyder to a client recently who had a professional installer come to the dealer to install clear bra.

Apparently, the finish was terrible and the owner wanted the full body wrap taken off. The installer then said he couldn't guarantee the paint work if taken off.

The 918 owner was not amused....

Porsche dealers in the UK do not offer clear bra to customers. Without getting into sales tactics and such, there seems to be more to it than what is commonly accepted wisdom that clear bra is safe on paint.

I have decided that stone chips add character

PS: before anyone suggests that he skimped on the installer, remember this is a 918 spyder owner with quite a few toys.
That doesn't make any sense. Did the installer think it was going to take paint off? I've seen it taken off several cars with no issues. If there was a fresh paint job, or already peeling paint, or an older vehicle maybe. But a brand new vehicle, not too sure that would happen. I took film off the hood of my S6 a week after having it done with no issues other than skin getting removed from my fingers by the glue...
Old 11-07-2015, 10:16 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,727 Likes on 4,760 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
That doesn't make any sense. Did the installer think it was going to take paint off? I've seen it taken off several cars with no issues. If there was a fresh paint job, or already peeling paint, or an older vehicle maybe. But a brand new vehicle, not too sure that would happen. I took film off the hood of my S6 a week after having it done with no issues other than skin getting removed from my fingers by the glue...
Maybe that 918 owner has that uber special Liquid Metal Silver paint?
Old 11-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
It is very common. A lot of installers undersell on the quality and oversell on accepting poor craftsmanship and defects.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched