Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:54 AM
Marino84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would a Silver car get any color distortion ? im thinking of getting mine done, but I do not want it to take away from the color of the car...
Old 01-27-2015, 02:19 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 263 Posts

Well my car is in for xpel...In the end I decided to take the risk and will have the headlights covered as well. My installer said that if there is delamination when the film is removed they can sand off the remaining UV film and polish the headlight before reapplying the film again....he said no big deal
Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 AM
NYC_AREA_GT3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marino84
would a Silver car get any color distortion ? im thinking of getting mine done, but I do not want it to take away from the color of the car...
I had an 08 meteor metallic C4S and it was very hard to even see paint chips bc they blend in with the paint color, in case you're on the fence. Sorry no value to add to the convo re yellowing.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:38 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
You don't need the rear bumper, unless you plan driving >60mph in reverse.
Obviously you haven't seen Ryan drive his Spec Miater

Peter
Old 01-27-2015, 12:10 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Obviously you haven't seen Ryan drive his Spec Miater

Peter
"Zoom Zoom" - Here's a session from Sebring, I am driving a '94 Spec Miata in Spec trim, Dunlop Direnzza Star Spec tires.

Start behind C5 Corvette Z06, pressure him for a few laps
8m30s pass the C5Z06
11m30s I pass a first gen 300zx
13m25s I catch up to a 3rd gen twin turbo RX7, at 15m02s he apparently misses a shift and I pass him
17m35s VW GTI
18m pass another Miata
21m02 pass another Miata
22m30s session ends

I was considering the rear bumper since the rear bumper needs to come off during air filter changes and other maintenance. Decided to skip the rear bumper.

Ryan
Old 01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

just got back from the xpel clear bra doctors appointment... full checkup, time with the doctor to ask questions, etc. for those still on the fence, in case this is at all helpful...

- definitely need to remove headlights, and hood crest to do the job right...of course indicates that this is no big deal at all, and that in fact the tool to remove the headlights is in the car's toolkit... really?

- xpel swears the film wont yellow...say that is their claim to fame... 10 year warranty

- recommend any fun car graphics/vinyl, etc. go on top of the clear bra, not under it

- say that once the clear bra is on, you can wax on top of that, but it wont really do anything...whatever your paint looks like when they put on the clear bra, that's it, so paint prep is important

- because the CAD/software/etc is so good now, they indicate no need to use cutting on the car, so they prefer to not do so...and they have some other system for if they absolutely have to cut, there is some weird string/wire/etc. that goes below the clear bra but hangs out, they pull on it after and it cuts the film outward as they pull on it, if that makes sense...

For the full front of car - bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors - $1k. To add rear haunches (replacing Porsche), all rocker panels, another $500. Feels fair to me.

Recommended not doing headlights on this particular car...too curvy
Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

My car is white also and sees a fair amount of track time. So...I did xpel on the front fascia/bumper, full hood, fenders and mirrors for $1,100. It's a little harder to clean off the road rubber, but provides piece of mind.

However, got behind a car kicking up gravel while running-off at Sebring last weekend and it cracked the windshield! Merely a pebble..

$950 out of pocket.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might be very slight, but I still don't buy that no yellowing at all. A few detailers I know who sell Xpel admit this. OTOH might be so small as to not be an issue.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

For the full front of car - bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors - $1k. To add rear haunches (replacing Porsche), all rocker panels, another $500. Feels fair to me.

Recommended not doing headlights on this particular car...too curvy
That's cheap. Did you actually go to the Xpel Corporate store in Austin (North)? The price they quoted me was much higher, BUT it's owned by Xpel.

Originally Posted by Salj

$950 out of pocket.
Sal that's painful! Worth the cost of entertainment at Sebring...hope you're having a blast.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 PM
Terry VA
Rennlist Member

I recently did the whole car with PremiumShield. I will post pictures as soon as it stops snowing and whatnot. It does absolutely look invisible and very glossy. Very happy so far with the film. I do wish a couple of the CAD cuts were slightly closer to the edge or wrapped, but it is pretty close.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:28 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

yeah $1K sounds like a very good price.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:54 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXGT3
That's cheap. Did you actually go to the Xpel Corporate store in Austin (North)? The price they quoted me was much higher, BUT it's owned by Xpel.

Sal that's painful! Worth the cost of entertainment at Sebring...hope you're having a blast.
corporate store...

maybe its because I flirted with the very attractive sales manager...

no but seriously, PM me an email address and I will send you the pricing breakdown... I was told that I was getting a small discount because of a mutual friend/contact that referred me there... but not much....

all about relationships, as we have been discussing and agreeing...
Old 01-27-2015, 08:58 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

corporate store...

maybe its because I flirted with the very attractive sales manager...

no but seriously, PM me an email address and I will send you the pricing breakdown... I was told that I was getting a small discount because of a mutual friend/contact that referred me there... but not much....

all about relationships, as we have been discussing and agreeing...
Yep she's nice. Gave 20%+ off for forum/military discounts, etc...I guess adding the +$500 that I didn't originally see in your post that's about right, and I had another piece added.

Either way, good stuff and glad it worked out.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:57 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

That's some cheap XPEL installation in TX.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

- because the CAD/software/etc is so good now, they indicate no need to use cutting on the car, so they prefer to not do so...and they have some other system for if they absolutely have to cut, there is some weird string/wire/etc. that goes below the clear bra but hangs out, they pull on it after and it cuts the film outward as they pull on it, if that makes sense...
Sounds like the edges of the film will be exposed then (not wrapped around panel edges).

Quick Reply: Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched