Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:01 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full front of the car and side mirrors for me.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

IMO, silly not to include hood along with everything back to the A-pillars (mirrors too). For those concerned about noticing differences in finish and/or color compared to untreated paint, why leave such large surfaces such as the hood and the front quarter panels untreated? It will look more uniform. These areas will get hit, not as much as the front bumper but it will happen. Adding a couple hundred dollars to the bill for piece of mind and to keep the treated areas more uniform in appearance seems worth it to me, but TEHO!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

its not about the money for godsake!!!!

its about having headlights, etc. removed, not being able to wax/appreciate paint, yellowing, mixmatched paint coloring if you remove later, etc. Not sure there is a right or wrong answer, but this thread has helped me a lot in terms of my thinking... thank you!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Bruno Giacomelli
Instructor

Uncle. Point of diminishing return reached!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:38 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I paid about $2,250 for full front coverage and mirrors for the dealer to arrange it and do it with the car delivery. I had other bids for $1,700 but I wasn't able to deal with the hassle and wanted to just pick up the car ready to go, protected and with radar/laser install. So, I over-paid, but to me, it was for the convenience.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:51 PM
3GO1GO
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I did full front, A pillars, 6" of roof and rear quarters with xpel
Old 01-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Tony King
Advanced

I did the whole car - $4k. Money well spent, my car is black and it really helps in the cleaning process -dirt easily wipes off.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

depends on road conddion.
i do not track all my gt3 some are gargae queesn.
but i do drive them
sometimes gravel road on canyon u can't avoid.
i am amazed you guys dont get hit on hood. maybe CA road is bad.
that's the first place i get dinged and once dinged you see it CLEARLY
fender whould be covered fully, else you see a line.
i do not know how other ppl's clr bra are done. i have bought many cars out of state and the film is a joke. the guys we have here is pretty amazing. you dont see the film, all lines are hidden. i do mean ALL LINES. but our priceing is way more than what you all quote here.
for me:
one piece bumper (if your guy needs more than one piece to do bumper, he is LAME)
one piece hood
one piece front fender
all wheel arches
sill up to front of rear fender
mirror
all front lights
that is $3000

whole car is $9000

no i am not kidding on the price.

yes, if you only cover front after 2 eyars. you will start to see your PTS white car turing a bit yellow. it's ok. no one put condom on to look pretty. it's for PROTECTION. i dont think SWAT are worried that they look fat with bullet proof vest on... and when you really cant deal with the yellowing, replace the film. film is a wear item. you have to replace them. it's like tires and brake pads. it's not ONE time spending.

if you cant deal with the above, then go naked. the patina could be pretty sexy too.

and strangely i only film my street cars. never my track cars.
i feel cars i track should be pitted to show battle scars.

sorry on phone so mucho typo. and sounding crazy, but i had many bras. i speak from own experience.
and if a NEW bra is not invisible, then your installer is really BAD.

i have to take my glasses off and have my eyes about 1/2" to the film to see that it is there!
of course as they age, the color will show.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:57 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I see things a bit differently when I look at cars, I don't care to much if the bumpers have been touched up, repainted or even changed due to minor scratches or parking stuff! It's plastic. But anything carbon or metal, hood and fenders are important to never touch up! So I would never leave the hood unprotected! Just my$0.02
Old 01-25-2015, 04:35 AM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrsullivan

My last GT3 didn't have a single rock chip. Maybe just lucky.
I am really surprised about this. You must drive really carefully or as Mooty says, maybe CA roads are just worse. I don't think so. I have at least 50-70 rock chips on both rear quarters after a spirited drive on the "Bay Area's Nurburgring"-- Mines Road. Great drive, worth it.

It's a personal choice. It sucks to see all the rock chips, but I really don't like the seams and yellowing. Mooty must know some magicians, but I always see the lines (but yeah you have to look up real close). It's probably respray for me, touching them up only so good. but maybe i will cave after more twisty drives
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 AM
sebearstian
Instructor

i was told by a detailer that based on his experience, solid color paints are softer than metallic paints. I am not sure if it is true but you may use this for your consideration.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:02 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Jonathan, Do the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, in front of the rear wheels, and wheel arches behind rear wheels. You said it, your OCD, you will kick yourself in the *** if you have damage on any of these areas and you didn't cover it. Just my 2 cents, enjoy that baby, can't wait to see more pictures
Old 01-25-2015, 09:51 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TONY AIR C2S
Jonathan, Do the full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, in front of the rear wheels, and wheel arches behind rear wheels. You said it, your OCD, you will kick yourself in the *** if you have damage on any of these areas and you didn't cover it. Just my 2 cents, enjoy that baby, can't wait to see more pictures
ok... I do what Tony says... he has my 98 C2S in his garage... he is the boss... going for XPEL tomorrow...
Old 01-25-2015, 10:45 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you guys think about the rear bumper? I'm going for Xpel this week and I'm undecided on the rear bumper but it's a pain to remove the PORSCHE and GT3 lettering (I'm not a fan of the cutouts in the pattern to go around the lettering).

So do you guys all think just the wheel arch or go for the whole rear bumper?

Ryan
Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

You don't need the rear bumper, unless you plan driving >60mph in reverse.

Quick Reply: Ok decision time - lets talk xpel clear bra - yes I have searched