Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Market Adjustment" request for #1 gt4 spot

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:29 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nothing but good things to say about Brett and Sonnen Porsche.
I bought a Cayman GTS from him in September and hopefully, I will land one of the "Phantom" GT4. I drive 45min extra just to deal with Brett and his team. I have a local stealership 5 minutes away that I refuse to work with due to their "Market adjustment" pricing and availability! Anyone interested in a Porsche, give Brett a call!

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I don't normally post in future/phantom model threads as Porsche frowns on us doing so but I just wanted to state publicly that Sonnen is an MSRP store and we do not charge over sticker for any car. Alex ordered a GT3 from me and was kind enough to give me ample time to reconfigure it for another client when he cancelled....I think he should have bought the car and moved house....but that obviously is easier said than done! I also try to be realistic when it comes to taking deposits on these future/phantom cars that may or not materialize....In Alex's case I told him that we already had too many deposits for this limited edition phantom car and that my chances of getting him one were probably zero...I called a few dealers for him and unfortunately most were willing to charge $10,000-$20,000 over MSRP for the limited edition phantom car...Good luck with your car search Alex and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help down the line in getting a Macan.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:15 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
We don't become someone who can afford these expensive toys because we are stupid with money. Being # 1 to own a depreciable item by paying extra is asinine. Nothing to be proud of. I only care if I am number 1 in my world of measurable success of real life.
Agreed!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Resolution on my end was as follows: I emailed the dealer letting him know that While j wish him luck in maximizing his profit, that I would not pay over and that I would not do business this way. I also let him know that I would stand by not publicizing his name, but that there are many owners and customers who keep track of the dealerships who behave correctly, and that it would behoove him to get on that list.

To clarify... I have no interest in being #1 in anything.. Just wanted to make sure I could get a gt4 as supposedly it was limited production.. But who cares about all the noise anyway, I'm starting to agree with the "they'll build as many as the market will bear" thought process.

On another note, The amount of goodwill and future new and repeat business that a good dealership can generate by foregoing short term profit for long term revenue is self-evident in this thread. I'm done with this subject, if I don't get a gt4 there will be many other interesting prospects. Thanks for the perspectives guys.. Always a pleasure participating and learning from this forum.

Last edited by CAlexio; 01-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:47 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

do not give up - I believe you will get your GT4, at MSRP, if you want. Perhaps not the first one in the streets. When the heat was all over the 15 GT3's, probably around summer/fall last year, I didn't even bother asking my dealer for an allocation since I knew they wanted to charge above MSRP (read about it here), and I refuse to pay above. They called me in December, and at one point, had more than one at MSRP. My SA even asked if I knew about anyone who wanted to get one at MSRP. I guess they wanted to close their 2014 books in good standing. I ended up passing, but I suspect that I could have even shaved a few $'s off if I pushed.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 PM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by straight-road
We don't become someone who can afford these expensive toys because we are stupid with money. Being # 1 to own a depreciable item by paying extra is asinine. Nothing to be proud of. I only care if I am number 1 in my world of measurable success of real life.
strongly agree with above!!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM
silverrules
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I don't normally post in future/phantom model threads as Porsche frowns on us doing so but I just wanted to state publicly that Sonnen is an MSRP store and we do not charge over sticker for any car. Alex ordered a GT3 from me and was kind enough to give me ample time to reconfigure it for another client when he cancelled....I think he should have bought the car and moved house....but that obviously is easier said than done! I also try to be realistic when it comes to taking deposits on these future/phantom cars that may or not materialize....In Alex's case I told him that we already had too many deposits for this limited edition phantom car and that my chances of getting him one were probably zero...I called a few dealers for him and unfortunately most were willing to charge $10,000-$20,000 over MSRP for the limited edition phantom car...Good luck with your car search Alex and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help down the line in getting a Macan.
Brett, why do you think you got too many on your list? Allocation is unknown at this time and most of the people on the list will not even return their calls when its time to order. It just makes them feel good to be on the list. Plus you might get 15 of these cars. I would put Alex on top of the list and I am sure you could do that for him and we will then put you on our GOLDEN dealer list. We are sure you can make this happen.Thanks.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:07 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Haha.. Silver, you do rule. I'm sure a car will come when it's time.. These things have a way of shaking themselves out. In the meantime, I'm considering putting some stink bombs or dead skunks in my neighbors house to accelerate his departure/garage swap decision. So much work to do, so little time
Old 01-24-2015, 10:46 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder
I have nothing but good things to say about Brett and Sonnen Porsche.
I bought a Cayman GTS from him in September and hopefully, I will land one of the "Phantom" GT4. I drive 45min extra just to deal with Brett and his team. I have a local stealership 5 minutes away that I refuse to work with due to their "Market adjustment" pricing and availability! Anyone interested in a Porsche, give Brett a call!
oh, you dont like stead either.... hahaha.
yeah, i visit EVERY bay area dealer....
when they let eric s go, that was the last straw........

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Resolution on my end was as follows: I emailed the dealer letting him know that While j wish him luck in maximizing his profit, that I would not pay over and that I would not do business this way. I also let him know that I would stand by not publicizing his name, but that there are many owners and customers who keep track of the dealerships who behave correctly, and that it would behoove him to get on that list.

To clarify... I have no interest in being #1 in anything.. Just wanted to make sure I could get a gt4 as supposedly it was limited production.. But who cares about all the noise anyway, I'm starting to agree with the "they'll build as many as the market will bear" thought process.

On another note, The amount of goodwill and future new and repeat business that a good dealership can generate by foregoing short term profit for long term revenue is self-evident in this thread. I'm done with this subject, if I don't get a gt4 there will be many other interesting prospects. Thanks for the perspectives guys.. Always a pleasure participating and learning from this forum.
oh, you are way too patient and kind. i walk in, do you have this at msrp, if it's no, i make u turn and go. i work 20 hours days and 4 hours on RL. i do not have the time to chit chat with ppl wanting to charge a premium. sorry, no car is that good. perhaps you should tell them it's a privilege to sell you a car at msrp.

i have to make a plug for brett. he's very professional. i never met him, but am ordering a car from him. easy peesy.

spending money should be a fun experience.... some ppl should not be in sales.
you should give a copy of "pretty woman" to that said salesman. you know the *** kissing scene....
everyone of my sales guy take a test before hiring. they watch the scene and need to repeat it word for word. else.... aint working for me.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:19 PM
prestonr2010
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default GT4

Might want to ask around New England dealer - I have heard from several they have short lists and will very likely fill all orders. I am sure none of these will be over MSRP.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by prestonr2010
Might want to ask around New England dealer - I have heard from several they have short lists and will very likely fill all orders. I am sure none of these will be over MSRP.
Yep, I'm sure you could get an early delivery at MSRP. Happy to email a few dealers I've purchased cars with for you if you're interested.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:42 PM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

remember all the fools who paid over retail for a tickle me elmo doll
Old 01-25-2015, 09:49 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dark knight
remember all the fools who paid over retail for a tickle me elmo doll
So now I'm a fool...
Old 01-25-2015, 10:29 PM
rwcsn1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's amazing how people so quickly forget. Wasn't it just 4 months ago when the GT3 hype was such that many dealers were asking over MSRP and people were going out of state to get allocations. And then suddenly there were tons of allocations. And the same dealers who demanded over emailed me constantly offering an allocation. This is a GT4 we're talking about right? Seriously. I think manufacturers love these stories of people on long waiting lists... more hype, more demand.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Just curious, for those throwing the vitriol at dealers asking for markups, are you also against customers asking for discounts?

Because isn't this just 2 different sides of the same coin?

Not defending the dealers in any way, but in this free-market, capitalist society supply-and-demand will ultimately dictate the equilibrium price (unless there are inefficiencies in the market). The MSRP, after all, is really just a first-shot best guess price at the market equilibrium price, right?

So with dealers asking for markups (or customers asking for discounts), isn't this just a way to figure out what the equilibrium price should be, and is?
Old 01-25-2015, 10:52 PM
ATXGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Just curious, for those throwing the vitriol at dealers asking for markups, are you also against customers asking for discounts?

Because isn't this just 2 different sides of the same coin?

Not defending the dealers in any way, but in this free-market, capitalist society supply-and-demand will ultimately dictate the equilibrium price (unless there are inefficiencies in the market). The MSRP, after all, is really just a first-shot best guess price at the market equilibrium price, right?

So with dealers asking for markups (or customers asking for discounts), isn't this just a way to figure out what the equilibrium price should be, and is?
Sure, dealers can ask for $50k over or $5k under. But ultimately it's OUR choice where we buy from. If a dealer decides to mark up from MSRP, it's our right (capitalist society) to find another dealer that won't abuse us. AND guess who's going to get the repeat business--that is what these stealers are missing. If ALL dealers were asking OVER then that's a different story...but they aren't.

If you just ant the car and could careless, dealers love you. For most of us we have money because we chose wisely in life. I choose not to overpay for anything.

Quick Reply: "Market Adjustment" request for #1 gt4 spot