Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Market Adjustment" request for #1 gt4 spot

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 12:28 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts

Unfortunately PCNA will tell you they have no control over dealer pricing.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:11 AM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

I will share my experience with finding a GT3 allocation and it should shine some light on the situation..

It was late-August of 2014 and the hype around the '15 GT3's was at a fever pitch. Most if not all the SoCal dealers with allocations were asking $10-20k to snag a build. I told every single one to pound sand. I simply went online to Porsche's dealer locator and searched surrounding states... sent several dealers emails asking if they had an allocation and that I wanted one and would pay MSRP. Within 1 day, I found 3 allocations for Nov and Dec builds at MSRP. And interestingly, after I finalized my build and put a deposit..say by late-Sept; several of the SoCal dealers called me with allocations at MSRP.. it felt so good telling them NO THANKS. The moral of the story is to look beyond CA... there are good dealers that appreciate your business and will not price gouge you. I found a great dealer and will buy from them going forward.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:35 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by silverrules
Alex, Is it the same dealer that you ordered the GT3? If yes, maybe they are trying to tell you to look at other dealers as you didn't buy the GT3 from them. bad taste in their mouth. Either way it sounds fishy.
Good point, but no. Gt3 was Brett at Sonnen, he was uber-professional and I believe I behaved in kind. Long before my lock date I tested my garage entry and let him know immediately that he should pass my spot to next guy. I believe/hope he appreciated that.. The only reason I don't have a deposit with him for gt4 is he equally professionally let me know that he had more spots taken already by repeat customers who had already asked ab gt4, and even suggested a few other dealers to try. I therefore searched around.

I am waiting for my 5 series wagon to croak (won't take much longer) so I can go back to Brett and buy a Macan from him.. He was impeccable and deserves repeat business.

Again, don't want to bad-mouth a dealer/sales person who may have made a temporary bad decision. I will say that this SA was a brand ambassador, and I somehow believed these guys were above the fray...
Old 01-24-2015, 01:50 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Think you are high on the price - still hoping for 80's...
I'd be amazed. I've seen several GTS for sale...granted with options, but they are in the 90's. I'm guessing the GT4 will be low 100's....stripper, maybe at 90k.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Good point, but no. Gt3 was Brett at Sonnen, he was uber-professional and I believe I behaved in kind. Long before my lock date I tested my garage entry and let him know immediately that he should pass my spot to next guy. I believe/hope he appreciated that.. The only reason I don't have a deposit with him for gt4 is he equally professionally let me know that he had more spots taken already by repeat customers who had already asked ab gt4, and even suggested a few other dealers to try. I therefore searched around.

I am waiting for my 5 series wagon to croak (won't take much longer) so I can go back to Brett and buy a Macan from him.. He was impeccable and deserves repeat business.

Again, don't want to bad-mouth a dealer/sales person who may have made a temporary bad decision. I will say that this SA was a brand ambassador, and I somehow believed these guys were above the fray...
When someone asked earlier if it was the same dealer you had ordered the GT3 from I knew it wasn't Sonnen; they would never pull this kind of crap. Brett's not their only quality sales person; I've purchased 3 Porsches from Michael G. and never had anything but an outstanding experience with him.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,709 Likes on 2,686 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by GrantG; 01-24-2015 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 AM
doba_s
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Not surprised they asking 20k over and won't be surprised if they sell one at that price.

In Bay Area this is a normal biz for many dealers. Look at Alfa 4c ... A bunch of them got sold for 90k in bay area with MSRP being 72k.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:57 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
I've been thinking that we might need to get a master dealer blacklist together. Not that hard to create in the age of crowd-sourcing and social media- yelp for Porsche dealers.

I know not everyone will check it but we would, and if asking over gets a mark on the list, some might think twice before pulling this crap. And if it does snowball legit dealers should benefit...

Totally agree Pete. These dealers are making money hands over fist, but some want to be greedier than others. I realize these types of low volume production cars are far and few, but to me that's no excuse. From my experience here in Canada, I have not heard of over MSRP that much.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:25 AM
Napoli
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Tell him you will be glad to pay MSRP in exchange for not spreading the name of his punk *** dealership all over Rennlist! I wonder who is really #1 on their list, and who are they now trying to screw out of that position by soliciting what amounts to extortion money?

Seriously, I wouldn't do business with that dealer under any circumstances, not would I ever pay over sticker for a car.
Ditto.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,383 Likes on 719 Posts

My Dealer would gladly take my GT3 for a GT4. No way I am giving up this beast
Old 01-24-2015, 01:37 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Unfortunately PCNA will tell you they have no control over dealer pricing.
actually they can use allocations to manipulate them, name them! Off with their *****!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:47 PM
hfm
Three Wheelin'

Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

"Market adjustment" is just another way to say there are idiots in this market willing to pay more than the manufacturer recommends, would you like to be one of those idiots? It's one of those expressions that can best be described as an euphemism like "low moron," "mentally challenged," "socially maladjusted" or, "loose-bowel movement."

Don't be a "f___ing" market adjustor and there wont be market adjustments.

Dan (channels Carlin)
Old 01-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

I don't normally post in future/phantom model threads as Porsche frowns on us doing so but I just wanted to state publicly that Sonnen is an MSRP store and we do not charge over sticker for any car. Alex ordered a GT3 from me and was kind enough to give me ample time to reconfigure it for another client when he cancelled....I think he should have bought the car and moved house....but that obviously is easier said than done! I also try to be realistic when it comes to taking deposits on these future/phantom cars that may or not materialize....In Alex's case I told him that we already had too many deposits for this limited edition phantom car and that my chances of getting him one were probably zero...I called a few dealers for him and unfortunately most were willing to charge $10,000-$20,000 over MSRP for the limited edition phantom car...Good luck with your car search Alex and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help down the line in getting a Macan.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:59 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
I don't normally post in future/phantom model threads as Porsche frowns on us doing so but I just wanted to state publicly that Sonnen is an MSRP store and we do not charge over sticker for any car. Alex ordered a GT3 from me and was kind enough to give me ample time to reconfigure it for another client when he cancelled....I think he should have bought the car and moved house....but that obviously is easier said than done! I also try to be realistic when it comes to taking deposits on these future/phantom cars that may or not materialize....In Alex's case I told him that we already had too many deposits for this limited edition phantom car and that my chances of getting him one were probably zero...I called a few dealers for him and unfortunately most were willing to charge $10,000-$20,000 over MSRP for the limited edition phantom car...Good luck with your car search Alex and please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any help down the line in getting a Macan.
Class dealer! Hopefully you get extra allocations!! This is why we should report dealers that charge over MSRP to PCNA. Even if they can't do anything right now, maybe we see changes in the future!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:20 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boy, you have to respect Sonnen. I'm sure there are many more dealer's out there like Sonnen, that will do the same, it's the typical, "few bad apples" scenario that ruins it for most.

Quick Reply: "Market Adjustment" request for #1 gt4 spot