Track Day Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 PM
cingulus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track Day Checklist

Hi Folks,

On another thread I was asked what a new guy should bring to on his first track day. Don't know if this exists elsewhere on this site. I did not see it on my search. So here is the list I gave them.

Please add what is in your track day kit bag:

Before You Go to the Track
  • Print a map of the track to study before you go
  • Search youtube for the track name to get a feel for the track
  • Tech check you car (Brakes, Fluids, Tires etc.)
  • Check on your insurance for HPDE exclusions or get track insurance
  • Order some Vinyl numbers. magnetic ones would attach to the aluminum body. I got mine here (http://www.trackdecals.com/)

Bring to the Track
  • Approved Helmet
  • Gloves (I just bring gloves from Home Depot)
  • Sunglasses
  • Gopro(s) with internal and external mounts
  • Long sleeve cotton shirt and jeans if you are not using a racesuit
  • Driving shoes (cross trainers and running shoes can get in the way)
  • Tool box with the basics (variety of screwdrivers, wire cutters, multiple pliers, leatherman, good knife, Duct tape, set of sockets, metrics)
  • Extra set of brake pads
  • Blue painters tape to cover headlights and other items you wish protect. (Some guys build a whole front end wrap out of the stuff
  • Extra quarts of Oil and brake fluid
  • Extra tire repair kit (Most of these tracks are out in the middle of no where)
  • Tire Pressure gage (Most tracks have a compressor you can use)
  • Full tank of gas. (Many tracks will sell gas and race gas, but the price can be high)
  • Zip ties (for the transponder and wire cutters to get it off the car)
  • I need build a center lock change kit (Some good videos here)
  • Very fine edge screwdriver to pry open the tow hook port, (I knicked up my clear wrap not having the right tool)
  • Tow Hook (but this is included in the tool kit in the frunk.)
  • A book or Ipad, lots of waiting between sessions
  • Protein bars and Lots of water
  • Some 5 hour caffeine shots
  • Folding Chair
  • If possible have spouse of second drivers and car, just in case yours can not be driven home.

Be Ready to Learn

The final thing and most important I will add is bring an open mind. Things have very fast on a track. I am still shocked how much I learn each time and how little street driving or canyon runs does not translate great times on the track. Look at the transponder results, more often than not, the cars that beat you around the track are not the other GT3s and Ferraris. It is spec caymans, older 911s, 944s and sometimes Miatas . You will find that the best drivers don't have the fastest cars. The data does not lie and it will show you that it is the human, not the horsepower that matters.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:40 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Excellent list, lots of great input. I would just add, an extra pair of underware, the speed and intensity compared to road driving can be too much to bare for some.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:56 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

thanks for posting the list, with only a few track days under my belt i appreciate the advice.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:59 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

good list. I also bring a flashlight- useful to check brake pads, tires, under the car . Torque wrench, although first time you can usually borrow one. Also know your torque specs or bring the owners manual. CLs a whole other subject..... I'd say go easy on the caffeine and include some sport drinks like Gatorade. Hydration is very important even if the temps are not too hot. Hat and sunscreen. I'd also recommend something to take notes with- like tire pressures, class notes etc. Agree with leaving the ego at home. try to relax, listen to instructors and have fun!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
...Agree with leaving the ego at home. try to relax, listen to instructors and have fun!
^^^ +1
Old 01-22-2015, 10:51 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Napping > caffeine
Old 01-22-2015, 11:03 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

A tarp to put your stuff on the tarmac, I use a nice water resistant zipper bag that pretty much holds everything I don't need in the car. Check tire pressures when cold before you leave home. Go to the track with an open mind ready to learn...
Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Check tire pressures when cold before you leave home.
Ok at the risk of getting flamed here I'll ask a question and no I haven't used the search function!! I've never taken a car on the track but am a pretty expericed track rider on bikes and you MUST drop the OEM suggested road pressures to track pressures or you'll have a big problem. For example if I could (legally) ride my track bike on the street I'd have 36 F and 42 psi in the rear. On the track I run 29F 28R. I had assumed you'd do the same with car tires. The above suggests you don't? Txs.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good list.

One thing that I assume was included is a torque wrench. I always check the torque of my wheels after lunch, so it's after the second session and the car has cooled a bit.

Originally Posted by Ducati1199
Ok at the risk of getting flamed here I'll ask a question and no I haven't used the search function!! I've never taken a car on the track but am a pretty expericed track rider on bikes and you MUST drop the OEM suggested road pressures to track pressures or you'll have a big problem. For example if I could (legally) ride my track bike on the street I'd have 36 F and 42 psi in the rear. On the track I run 29F 28R. I had assumed you'd do the same with car tires. The above suggests you don't? Txs.
Yes, you do that.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:25 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Agree with leaving the ego at home. try to relax, listen to instructors and have fun!
Absolutely agreed with this.

Unfortunately, I've met too many Porsche driver's who have had really enormous egos about their driving skills, but couldn't back it up on the track. While I'm not one to criticize anyone's skill, egos are the worst thing to have at track days. Not only does it annoy others, but it also puts you and others at risk if you're driving way over your abilities or have something to prove.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:38 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

+ Easy up tent
Old 01-23-2015, 01:56 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

My point on tire pressure was to have a close starting point when cold as a reference, i.e. 29/33. I adjust pressures as the day goes on and track and OAT change. You still need a starting point.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

I think one of the basics of track driving, in any form, is to be on location in time.

Being in time is being relaxed.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:35 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the list; big help for a newbie like me.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:47 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Michelin provides guidance on the tire pressure for the MPSC2:

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/mich...ot-sport-cup-2

Quick Reply: Track Day Checklist