Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs Carrera S Engines- differences

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 05:34 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

In my view,the conclusion of this thread is that the 2 engines share quite a few more components than AP was babbling about...the reasons are many...cost comes to mind...That doesn't mean the GT3 engine is not good. Hell,the Carrera engine is pretty good so far! It's interesting to see how Porsche is going to proceed with their motorsport program and this " new " RS engine. I guess we'll find out soon enough...
Old 01-20-2015, 05:39 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's about money. Mezger water cooled engines were low cost developments as they'd been developed 20 years ago. But given their manufacturing cost they were too expensive to make. The new DFI engines are also expensive, but not like the Mezger. I bet the new DFI engines were tested for Motorsports, I bet they had issues. Otherwise they would use them and really advertise them to up the 991 GT3 "race engine."

So what's up? Sharing components is the best way to drive costs down, the 9A1 does that. BMW left the race engines home, now Porsche is doing the same. BMW has turbos, guess what's next...

In truth, this is the way the market is going, GT3 does not mean sports car that can be tracked. It now means, deviated stitching, and funky electronics that are easily DDed. Oh, you can take it of the track.

Bottom line is Porsche needs to make money and this is the way to do it, I'm sure it's not what the core engineers want to do. But orders come from up top. Porsche also knows that whatever Kool-Aid they serve, it will run out of it in record time.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Time will tell how well the 991 GT3 engine holds up on track, but I've made my bet that Porsche won't risk their reputation by producing something which doesn't cut it. And of course we do have a good warranty which covers track use.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
I certainly did take my time. I am not an an engineer but can follow drawings. Something certainly does not jive. I am not taking issue with Pete' s analysis. Contrary, what I am trying to understand is why if the two motors are that similar why is their performance so dissimilar? I stand by my two observations but can add a third: that the parts that are different are really critical to performance and the ones that are the same are either over engineered or not as critical. So maybe the motors are similar in a number of parts but very dissimilar in a number of very very important ones. One could argue that it is not how many parts/components are similar/dissimilar but which ones. Absent that what gives?

The fact that it is not motorspots proven is a separate issue altogether. What this requires is a ceteris paribus analysis to see what causes "essentially" similar motors to have such different performance.

Finally how come we see the motorspots press continue to make reference to what, at least numerically, could be shown to a fallacy?
I believe this to be a fair point. Putting the number of actual parts that are the same and the overstatement about them aside, it's not nearly as important to me that bolts, piston rings. fasteners, ancillaries and the like are the same, as that heads, intake, fuel supply, crank, cams, valve train. pistons, oiling, and cooling systems are quite different. Those are the parts that make a difference in the performance potential of an engine, not the fact that two engines use the same alternator. This difference is borne out by the much higher output, rev capability, and overall character of the engine in the GT3.

IMHO, to focus on the use of similar but relatively insignificant parts as the final yardstick to measure the two engines, is misleasing.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

This is what I take away:

The block, main bearings, etc was far, far over-engineered for the base models, it was clearly designed with Turbo power and likely 600+ hp in mind. Thus every base Boxster has a far heavier, bigger, beefier bottom end than needed, but if it's also cheaper no one cares (and most don't have a clue).

Other parts like the generator have similar requirements across all engines- all street cars require about the same amount of power, need reliable knock sensors, etc. These parts work, they are proven, and they are relatively cheap due to volume. The only reason to change these items would have been to reduce weight, and that desire didn't rise high enough on the price/ performance scale to warrant it.

The intake, head and internals (crank, pistons, rods) were clearly revised for power, which in a normally aspirated engine is simply a function of airflow. Maintain airflow at increased revs and you get more power. The GT3 gets a power bump of 19% over the Carrera S or 11% vs the GTS. It's no coincidence that the GT3 also redlines 15% higher, 9000 rpm vs 7800.

To spin these extra revs and not float valves, entirely new rocker cam heads were required. Titanium rods and an upgraded crank were needed to prevent the pistons from stretching the rods and departing the block at 9000 rpm. Not cheap parts, not easy to get right, but simple in concept.

Finally the oiling system was revised to support all this. The true dry sump reduces windage, unlocking a little more power, but more consistent oil flow and higher pressures were likely required to hit the durability targets at the engine's higher RPM and the car's higher cornering G force. The cooling system was also upgraded as required to deal with the extra heat and perhaps revs.

Thus it's a pragmatic and efficient upgrade, made possible by the modularity and flexibility designed into the 9A1 platform in the first place. From the outset the engine was designed with ~600 hp in mind, so it's no surprise it got there. The fact that it's significantly lighter than the equivalent Mezger is a bonus. The fact that it's less modular and tunable than a Mezger is a negative to many of us, but probably a positive to Porsche.

The result won't break any records as far as power to weight ratio is concerned. Where the 918 optimizes every component from the block down and has budget to spend, this engine borrows from whats there, and some of the shared parts are relatively low-rent. Part of the reason the 918's engine makes nearly 2x the power per pound, but also part of the reason the 918 is not exactly cheap.

Unmodified I maintain I'd rather have this GT3 motor than the Mezger all else being equal. Modified the Mezger is a better platform currently, and likewise for race use that may still be the case. Rumors of test engines blown up trying to make the 9A1 durable for racing persist, and it sounds like they've had a difficult time getting to where they want to be on the track. They will get there, the only question is will it be with this platform, or the next evolutionary step forward?

Last edited by Petevb; 01-20-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:22 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

A propos the last sentence of Petvb's post-

"New" engines under the turbos and for non turbos too- per a very good automotive journalist:
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ro...-future-plans/
Old 01-20-2015, 07:27 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome, thank you for this. very informative.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:12 PM
Tom Tweed
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
If it wasn't for the GT cars I'd have little interest in modern Porsches. Thus I admit that I have an agenda: I hope we all keep the GT guys honest, because if they start making "Cayman Rs" I lose interest. I suspect I'm not the only one....
You definitely are not the only one, Pete. Thanks for your careful scrutineering of the engineering details behind these cars, it's very enlightening. I am hoping to see a true dry sump engine in the GT4--that will say a lot about where the car falls in their lineup.

TT
Old 01-25-2015, 04:03 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Petevb;11971990]
This is what I take away:

The block, main bearings, etc was far, far over-engineered for the base models, it was clearly designed with Turbo power and likely 600+ hp in mind. Thus every base Boxster has a far heavier, bigger, beefier bottom end than needed, but if it's also cheaper no one cares (and most don't have a clue).

--------

It would be interesting to know if the block was machined differently in anyway or if machining tolerances were different between the Carrera's and the GT3
Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Very interesting read.

Gives an idea of how the 991.1 Carrera/981 Cayman GT4 motor becomes a GT3 motor.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Gatte
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great read Pete. I had seen the drawings in a different thread related to the 718/982 GT4. It will be really interesting to see what parts move over into the next GT4.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for posting.

What I see here are two totally different engines that only share not important things like accessories, screws, bushings, etc. Major components that define engine are different. Engine block, cam shafts, pistons, main shaft, main bearings, piston rods, whole oiling system, etc. are all different.

Where are the similarities? I don't see them.
Old 03-19-2018, 01:33 PM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

The GT3 engines have a very different valvetrain than the normal 9A1. The GT3 engines use a finger follower design, whereas the standard 9A1 use a valvetrain type which I can not translate to english, sorry ;D

Some parts (camshafts (new introduced DLC coating), finger followers (improved DLC coating), valve springs, piston rings, oil pump) changed from 2015 to late 2016 during production of the MA175 and M176 engines, mainly because of finger follower wear. With the revised 9R1.5 engine, they simplified the valvetrain further by deleting the hydraulic lifters (fixed finger followers). So the new engine doesn't feature hydraulic lash adjustment but requires less exotic materials (DLC coating).
Old 03-19-2018, 01:48 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I love this thread. I hope the OP shares his analysis on the difference (and similarities) between the 991.1 GT3 engine and the .2 just released.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs Carrera S Engines- differences