Sponsored by:

991 GT3 vs Carrera S Engines- differences

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by plima
I appreciate that a lot of work went in to this analysis; thank you! In the end, though, isn't it the driving experience that separates the GT3 from the Carrera (and nearly all other cars)? Do you really care how Porsche did it, but only that they surely did do it, and very well?
I understand that perspective, and it absolutely does come to the result. But the "how" and "why" can be interesting, and occasionally even tell you something about the "what"...
Old 01-19-2015, 10:50 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Do you really care how Porsche did it, but only that they surely did do it, and very well?
The recipe has definitely changed! Before you had freshly cut potatoes and carefully fried in olive oil. Now you have frozen and already cut potatoes from a bag. The result is the same : French fries.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,086 Likes on 5,258 Posts

Even though my head just exploded, thanks very much for the info, Petevb.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Pete, thank you for the incredibly detailed analysis. I agree with your perspective on Porsche's GT cars. They need to be special, and if Porsche claims that the suspensions, and engines are vastly different from the "regular" Porsches, then they need to be held to a high standard, and not a "marketing" standard.

Great job.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:03 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lot's of interesting and informative material to digest. Great work in pulling it all together Pete.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:41 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyr
Indeed, very cool, thanks. Is there a public website to go to see this?
Porsche publishes an online "PET" for most models. PCNA has them on their site through 2010. Others have versions that are current through today, though I'm not certain they are supposed to be public. I'm hesitant to link in case they are not, but search and they are out there...
Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 here...but kudos to OP nonetheless

I appreciate that a lot of work went in to this analysis; thank you! In the end, though, isn't it the driving experience that separates the GT3 from the Carrera (and nearly all other cars)? Do you really care how Porsche did it, but only that they surely did do it, and very well?
Old 01-20-2015, 02:08 AM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cars are special to their owners for many reasons. Some want a true race engine and some want a driving experience.

The 991 engine AFAIK is not being raced in official FIA races, I could be wrong. To some this is important.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:33 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Do you really care how Porsche did it, but only that they surely did do it, and very well?
Really? Wow. Somewhere in your Internet surfing, you must have taken a wrong turn. This is Rennlist. Yes, people care about such things here.

To the OP, thanks for such an interesting and useful explanation.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:47 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm astounded at the expertise of guys like you Pete. I'm happy to try and soak up knowledge by reading your posts. Thanks so very much!!
Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 174 Posts

Another: Thanks Pete! Awesome work!
Old 01-20-2015, 11:37 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Thanks for the clarity of your diagrams and analysis. IMHO the substantial interest (concern?) in the similarities between the standard engine and the GT3 is a reflection of the post M96/Mezger era where the base Carrera engine could not be used for the GT3/Turbo/Motorsport applications. Prior to the M96 the basic Porsche flat six was the foundation for all applications not just the road cars as we all know. Unfortunatley the "failure" of the M96 (and M97) in this regard has left many enthusiasts w/ a jaundice eye with regard to the capabilities of the modern Porsche engines found in the standard sports car series. A motosport effort for the current GT3 engine (or a reasonably close derivative) would be welcome reassurance that this 9K capable engine will not spotaneously grenade after 30-40K miles of combined street/track use.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

These are interesting findings. The Automobile Mag on the GT3 states, however, that the engine shares only a few components with the regular flat six. What gives? Where are the journalists getting their info? Is Porsche feeding them this info? Maybe there is a significant difference on how engine/components is defined. All I can think is that if both engines are quite similar that either: 1)the regular 911 engine could be easily unleashed to do a lot more (something that has not been seen as of yet) or 2) the GT3 should blow up very quickly given that it is essentially a regular 911 engine pushed to the extreme. While we saw those two fires we have not heard of other catastrophic failures afterward.

In conclusion something does not jive.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
In conclusion something does not jive.
Yeah,your conclusion definitely does not!

You've used 2 scenarios and taken them to the extreme :

The Carrera engine can't be " unleashed " into a GT3 engine and the GT3 engine certainty won't blow up,but it is not motorsport proven either. Read the whole post carefully and examine the pics. Take your time.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:24 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Yeah,your conclusion definitely does not!

You've used 2 scenarios and taken them to the extreme :

The Carrera engine can't be " unleashed " into a GT3 engine and the GT3 engine certainty won't blow up,but it is not motorsport proven either. Read the whole post carefully and examine the pics. Take your time.
I certainly did take my time. I am not an an engineer but can follow drawings. Something certainly does not jive. I am not taking issue with Pete' s analysis. Contrary, what I am trying to understand is why if the two motors are that similar why is their performance so dissimilar? I stand by my two observations but can add a third: that the parts that are different are really critical to performance and the ones that are the same are either over engineered or not as critical. So maybe the motors are similar in a number of parts but very dissimilar in a number of very very important ones. One could argue that it is not how many parts/components are similar/dissimilar but which ones. Absent that what gives?

The fact that it is not motorspots proven is a separate issue altogether. What this requires is a ceteris paribus analysis to see what causes "essentially" similar motors to have such different performance.

Finally how come we see the motorspots press continue to make reference to what, at least numerically, could be shown to a fallacy?

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 vs Carrera S Engines- differences