Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 02:12 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Orthojoe's track build journal

This is a blatant imitation of Money2536's very nice thread on his car. With all due respect to Money2536 and what he has done to his car and for the forum, my attempt here is to follow a similar suit.

However, the intent of this thread is more of a focus on track use for this car. I'm hoping to put down my experience with the 991 GT3 on the track in this thread. Videos, reviews, etc, will be placed here so I'm not starting a whole bunch of different threads that get scattered. My goal is for this to be a good reference thread for those looking for more info and to share their experience as well for track use.

Since I haven't taken the car to the track yet, I'll start with background and my initial impressions.

I finally took delivery of the 991 GT3 last Friday. After 18 months of waiting, the car actually made it into my garage. 18 months ago, I saw the car in person, fell in love, and put my name on the wait list at a local dealer. 12 months ago, I got the call for a 2014 June delivery allocation. The car with specc'd, but then the stop sale happened. Then I was bumped to a November delivery for a 2015 model. Then the buckets were announced. My order had already locked and was unchangeable. I made the tough (but correct) decision to drop my allocation and find one that was still configurable. I found one out of state. I placed the order. Then all of the sudden allocations fell out of the sky everywhere and my local dealer called me up with an allocation. I dropped my allocation. Again. This time I stuck with the allocation at my local dealer (MSRP, treated me very fairly). The car was then stuck at port in San Diego for nearly a month, but it is finally here.

The build:
White
Standard interior
Extended Range fuel tank
Front axle lift
sound package plus (free Navi!)
Fire extinguisher
smoking package (not sure if I'll ever need the extra power source..)
PDLS (didn't want a chrome light housing. PDLS housing is dark)
Spork Chrono/Track App (more on this in the future)
Lightweight bucket seats ( A MUST)
PCM (FREE!)
Guards red seat belts
Floor mats (really? you have to option this?)
Red sport chrono clock dial (because bling)

First thing done to the car was an XPEL clear bar (at the dealer before I took delivery) and clear LED corner lights.
The next thing I did was call over a bunch of friends and take a bunch of pictures.

Initial impressions:
1) Looks. Stunning. Not much more to say about that.

2) PDK. It's amazing. This has been beaten to death. I'm not going to belabor this one. I'm just going to say that AP really was right. Just shut up and drive it. Anyone who hasn't, and is still bitching about a manual needs to shut up. Plain and simple. I don't miss a manual AT ALL, and I KNOW how to drive a manual well. On a track.

3) The sound. Exhilarating and awesome above 7k rpm. Below 7k rpm, it is just good. The car is actually pretty quiet below 4k rpm. It's nice when you just want to drive casually without much noise, but I expected it to be meaner sounding at lower rpms and idle. I will have to try out the exhaust flap mod and see if I like that better. It's too bad the sport exhaust button isn't more dramatic of a difference at lower rpms.

4) The ride. It's a very comfortable ride. The car rides better than the suspension on my boxster spyder. The car really does have a dual personality.

5) The power. Haven't hit 9k rpm yet. Soon. Even then, it's more than enough power. I don't see why anyone would need any more than this. You can't really ring out the car without going at dangerous street speeds.

6) The steering. I can't tell it's electric assist. I feels perfect to me.

7) Comparisons. I had the chance to drive back to back a 991 GT3, 997.2 GT3, and Cayman GTS today. All different cars. All unique in their own way. The cayman felt lighter and rotated more easily. It used to feel fast to me. Until I drove the 991 GT3. The 997.2 is a manly machine. The gear box is tight and the car makes you work. It's definitely not as powerful as the GT3. The 991 GT3 is comfortable and easy to drive, yet an absolute terror and monster when you romp on it. If you know how to drive, it allows you to drive faster. Compared to my boxster spyder. I would say the GT3 is more practical than the spyder. The spyder is a rougher ride and the roof never is completely sealed, so when it's up, you always get an annoying wind noise. The spyder is meant to be driven with the top off, but you can't do that all of the time.

8) The Centerlocks. I HATE IT. What a colossal pain the ***. That optimoly paste is impossible to get off of you. When you are working on the brakes, the paste on the hub gets EVERYWHERE.

9) The bucket seats. They look AWESOME. However, I'm not convinced they are any more supportive than the standard seats. You get these seats because they look great and you can run harnesses. The electric height adjust is a nice bonus. Interestingly, I prefer the GT2 bucket seats in terms of position and feel. The thigh bolsters are tighter and you sit more upright in the GT2 seats. I still can't believe Porsche screwed us on the passenger side seats with no passthroughs. They even pin down the passenger side cushion to try to prevent you from lifting it up. Here is a picture of the buckets with the seats all of the way forward and up:

You can fit a golf back back there with these seats still

And for those of you that are whining about not being able to put your purses behind the seats because they don't fold forward:

10) Brakes. Pedal feel is great. Even better with PFC11 pads. Iron rotors FTW. PCCB is only good for this:
The following users liked this post:
Naser Burashed (12-12-2019)
Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

First modifications:

1) PFC11 brake pads. OMG, brake pad swaps are a major PAIN IN THE *** as well. Not only do you have to remove the calipers, but you also have to remove the brackets that are stabilizing the the brake lines on order mobilize everything. I miss the old brake system.

2) Brake caliper stud conversion. Won't make the pad swaps any easier, but at least the upright will be spared from threading bolts in/out.

My first track day will be next weekend. I'm working on figuring out the track precision app. The AiM solo DL OBD2 connection works seamlessly and gives you all the channels you need. The only deficit is that you are limited to 10Hz, while the CAN line connection can get you up to 50Hz. A cantrell cage is incoming. Plan is to figure out a solution for the sub belts and passenger seat.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:24 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Great start to your thread Joe! Looking forward to following it and continuing to hear your impressions.

BTW, I found that WD40 works well to clean up the optimoly paste. I sprayed it on my wheel centering tool, which was covered with the stuff, and it wiped right off then used the rag to clean off my fingers. Actually, any decent solvent should work.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:29 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

fitting into back of GT3 with bucket seat
joe you might mention you are 5'9" or so and like 120# stick!

and WELCOME to CL hell...
Old 01-19-2015, 02:30 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Wd40! That's good to know. I'll spray that all over my face and arms nice time. Lol!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:31 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
fitting into back of GT3 with bucket seat joe you might mention you are 5'9" or so and like 120# stick! and WELCOME to CL hell...
Hey, I'm 150#
Old 01-19-2015, 02:33 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Looking forward to updates! It's embarrassing that not a single person has posted a video from the track precision app yet after it being on delivered cars for so long now.

I really hope the passenger seat solution is straightforward. Porsche must have done that for a reason.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:36 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Looking forward to updates! It's embarrassing that not a single person has posted a video from the track precision app yet after it being on delivered cars for so long now. I really hope the passenger seat solution is straightforward. Porsche must have done that for a reason.
Yeah, I understand the reason now. You can't seem to do anything with it unless you are on track. It's confusing. There's no thunderhill listed on the app, but the pdf on the website shows thunderhill on the list. I'll have something for you next week.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 AM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats joe. Looking forward to seeing it run next week
Old 01-19-2015, 03:01 AM
Orindaed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joe, Looking forward to seeing your continued thread. I feel fortunate because you're only two towns over. Let me know if ever you need assistance
Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Joe! You've been here for the long haul. Man, the kids are awesome. The thumbs up pic tells it all!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:20 AM
Rovman
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats Joe, looking forward to the future mods as I too am about to do the same to my car once all the parts arrive.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:25 AM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new ride Joe! Looking forward to hearing your feedback about the track capabilities of this car. I will live vicariously thru you....as I am a quote poser & will never take mine there

Consider me subscribed!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:37 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Yeah, I understand the reason now. You can't seem to do anything with it unless you are on track. It's confusing. There's no thunderhill listed on the app, but the pdf on the website shows thunderhill on the list. I'll have something for you next week.
WTF, no Thunderhill in the app?! I have a bad feeling that this whole "Porsche Track Precision" app is going to be completely worthless. What a disappointment if so, because Porsche really could have made something great!
Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the car..Great thread. Looking forward to the roll bar install and harnesses, especially for the passenger seat...

Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal