Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Orthojoe's track build journal

Old 01-19-2015, 03:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Great start to the thread Joe. So glad someone is going to document the trials and tribulations of getting this car sorted for regular track use.

For the Optimally, a combo of disposable gloves and lightly diluted Simple Green remove the stuff from hands and other body parts.

Can't wait to see the car out at the track next week. May I be the first Mezger GT3 to give you a point by
Thanks, man. The pressure is on. I hope I don't look like a fool....

On another note. We have another issue with the new buckets:

On the GT2 seats, you could lift up the cushion and fold the antisub belts forward and out of the way when you were not using them on the street. The new LWB seats won't allow you to do this. The front of the cushion has a hinge that won't seat properly if fold the sub straps under the cushion. One more obstacle....
Old 01-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Could you post pics of the cushion hinge issue?

As for the airbag comment earlier, I believe the LWBs still have side airbags, they're just deployed between the carbon and the side padding rather than out the back edge of the seat.

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Thanks, man. The pressure is on. I hope I don't look like a fool....

On another note. We have another issue with the new buckets:

On the GT2 seats, you could lift up the cushion and fold the antisub belts forward and out of the way when you were not using them on the street. The new LWB seats won't allow you to do this. The front of the cushion has a hinge that won't seat properly if fold the sub straps under the cushion. One more obstacle....
Old 01-19-2015, 03:31 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
The seats are also interesting. Not sure why they went with the 918 seat, unless it was strictly for the electric height adjustment. They have no side airbags - I thought those were required.
Sorry to go briefly OT in Joe's thread, but the Porsche configurator says that the LWB have integrated airbags. Hard to believe that they could not have them as I doubt they would fit side airbags in the doors just for LWB cars. Are you sure?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Strimdog
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 60 Posts

Great posts Joe! Really looking forward to following your build.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:53 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mech33
Could you post pics of the cushion hinge issue?
Will do as soon as I can.

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Sorry to go briefly OT in Joe's thread, but the Porsche configurator says that the LWB have integrated airbags. Hard to believe that they could not have them as I doubt they would fit side airbags in the doors just for LWB cars. Are you sure?
Mike, no apologies. There are no rules in this thread. Anything goes.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

buckets HAVE SIDE AIR BAG IN THEM
Old 01-19-2015, 05:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mooty
buckets HAVE SIDE AIR BAG IN THEM
Yes. They do
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2015, 05:40 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Sorry, I was looking for the big plastic thing on the side like the GT2 seats had. These are a more stealthy airbag solution for sure. And would probably be fairly painful if they deployed - likely leave a big bruise +/- burns on the side of your thorax. Better than not having them I guess. I suppose sitting on a sodium azide explosive device just adds to the thrill!
Old 01-19-2015, 05:43 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A bit OT:

I stopped by Joe's last night to have a look at the new addition to the family. First impression its a much smaller car than images depict, both inside and out. Its a very pretty car. Joe handed me the keys and said " take your wife out for a ride" I declined and asked him to drive

Rewind to its release I was the first to jump on the bandwagen protesting PDK, the 9A1 block, digitization of the 911 blah blah blah. After 2 mins of driving 25 through the neighboorhood I was sold. This car is special. Then after a proper warm up Joe and PDK went to work. The sound, acceleration, downshift rev matching shocked me. I drove my ~600hp 997TT to Joes and felt as if I had no buisness in this fight.

I thanked Joe for possibly hurting my bank account in the next year, went home, took a cold shower, started drafting a "for sale" thread.

Sorry for going OT. Joe a big congrats and thanks for the ride!!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Thanks for posting Joe.

The fixed bridge front calipers is a disaster. I could kinda deal with the rears with studs but the front pads wear out faster and now you have to remove 4 calipers, big PITA. The CL's are a walk in the park compared to that, I never got that grease on my hands.
So, either go to the track on pads you know will make it and have a shop do it or replace calipers with open bridge calipers... Ugh.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by eurotom
Sorry for going OT. Joe a big congrats and thanks for the ride!!!!
No apologies for going OT in this thread. Anytime, man! You'd better show up at the track soon!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks for posting Joe.

The fixed bridge front calipers is a disaster. I could kinda deal with the rears with studs but the front pads wear out faster and now you have to remove 4 calipers, big PITA. The CL's are a walk in the park compared to that, I never got that grease on my hands.
So, either go to the track on pads you know will make it and have a shop do it or replace calipers with open bridge calipers... Ugh.
Agree with you. The calipers are indeed a bigger PITA than the centerlocks. It's not just 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the upright. It's also 2 10mm bolts that hold brackets which stabilize the brake lines. ON ALL 4 HUBS. Those 2 bolts are a pain to thread back in because the brackets flex and move.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Revs like a Fiat, screams like a Fiat, shifts like a Fiat, drives like a Fiat, consumables costs like a Fiat and now you need service at the shop before and after like a Fiat.

And the RS will start at Fiat prices...

Hmmm
Old 01-19-2015, 07:17 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Revs like a Fiat, screams like a Fiat, shifts like a Fiat, drives like a Fiat, consumables costs like a Fiat and now you need service at the shop before and after like a Fiat.

And the RS will start at Fiat prices...

Hmmm
Doesn't drive like a fiat! I got a chance to track a scud, F458, and 991GT3 back to back. 991 GT3 is hands down the better track car. Faster, more stable, more fun.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
They're probably stretch bolts,just like head bolts are...
I'm sure a lot of people reuse them,but it's probably a very good idea to install new ones if you track extensively because of the heat brakes generate on the track.
Doubt it. Most all manufacturers recommend replacing brake caliper bolts whenever they are removed, stretch bolt or not. On my last Audi, virtually every suspension or brake bolt says replace after use in the repair manual.

In general the mechanics just inspect, and replace if there is clear wear or oxidation.

I guess long story short, I don't think replacing it with a stud changes the theoretical replacement schedule.nid it makes it easier for you, then great, but I find studs to be more trouble than they're worth much of the time (since they can back out, etc.).

Last edited by Mech33; 01-20-2015 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:22 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Ok, here is what I am talking about regarding the seat cushions and the folding away the antisub straps. Below you can see the GT2 bucket seats in my spyder. You can lift up the cushion and fold the straps forward and out of the way.

With the LWB seats you lift the cushion up from the back, and then there is a lip on the seat that the front of the cushion wraps over which you pull off (hard to describe and photograph). In order for a the anti sub harness to rest here, the cushion will have to remain unhitched to the lip and left loose. Also, because the front of the cushion wraps below, it makes me wonder if there will be enough slack to allow the central buckle to extend past the cushion far enough...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Orthojoe's track build journal